PDA

View Full Version : Question... anyone can help???

jenfer
03-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Ok, I live in an apartment unit and we have this little balcony. I live on the top floor... maybe it has something to do me living on the top floor? Anyway, pigeons love to hang out in my balcony... that's ok, BUT they like to leave their poop too. Grrr.... anyone know a good way to clean and remove them. Is there anyway to scare them away so they don't hang out in my balcony? To make it more "interesting", today I have to went out and clean out their poop :mad: I discovered there is a nest in the bucket!!! And there is an egg in there! Actually when I went out, the pigeon was in the bucket... apparently I interruped whatever she is doing. I do NOT want them to start a family in my balcony. Any suggestion as to what I do with the nest and what I can do to keep them from my balcony? A scarcrow? Another reason I want them away is I don't want Gigi to be out there if it's that dirty. Thanks.

http://img213.exs.cx/img213/1808/egg3dc.jpg
the "nest"

http://img213.exs.cx/img213/5004/poop1uq.jpg
all the poop :mad:

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/6644/1433157812050alb8sb.jpg
not happy when she is not allowed outside.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Try stringing up some strings accross the area with pieces of aluminium foil threaded on it. That keeps some type of birds away.

Or could you enclose the balcony with netting?

Corinna
03-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Take some of those free cds from AOL put a hole in them and hang from the roof line it also is supposed to keep mosquitos away too. As to the poop let it dry and sweep it off. Our city hall is having a problem now with the same birds. We had a guy raising them at the vets home He died and they let them loose they love city hall now.

Soapets
03-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Maybe a stuffed fake owl would do the trick? I don't know where you'd get one, but I've heard that a lot of birds are frightened by owls, and just the mere presence of an owl will keep them away.

Where my husgand works, at a seed-corn factory, they put out a fake owl to keep birds away, and it worked wonders---until the birds FINALLY figured out that it was a FAKE!:rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
03-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Poor Gigi! :(

Good luck. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh my, we had the same problem years ago!! It is soooo difficult to keep them away, and even more difficult to keep the balcony clean :( .
We tried this to protect our cherries: hang pieces of "aluminium-paper"( silver and shiny) everywhere possible. It helps a lot! I would let my dog on the balcony: he can chase the birds away!

dukedogsmom
03-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Poor Gigi. She looked so sad. At our grocery store in the town where I work, they have a big fake owl perched on top of the roof. I never knew why. I guess it works because they don't have any pigeons. I think the netting is a good idea. It's not permanent and would keep the birds out. You could even put it with the railing so you wouldn't have to worry about Gigi slipping through it.

pitc9
03-13-2005, 09:33 AM
The fake owl sounds perfect for you, but make sure you move it every few days so they don't realize it's fake. You don't have to move it far, you can just move it a few feet every once in a while.

Pit Chick
03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
I think you can get the fake owls at Home Depot.