PDA

View Full Version : War Virus Alert

Dixieland Dancer
09-25-2001, 12:58 PM
This is a verified virus. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

The email is entitled "Hi. Is it a war against America or Islam? Let's vote to live in Peace." This is the content of the warning:

** New Virus Disguised As Vote On War

Some antivirus software vendors are warning of a new virus posing as a program to collect votes about whether the United States
should respond militarily to the Sept. 11 terrorist attack.
Instead of collecting votes, the virus deletes computer files.

The trojan, sent via a mass mailing from Microsoft Outlook, currently appears with the subject line "Peace between America and Islam" and carries an attachment named WTC.exe, according to Computer Associates. The body of the E-mail contains the message: "Hi. Is it a war against America or Islam? Let's vote to live in Peace."

Both CA (Computer Associates) and Trend Micro Inc. are reporting the trojan as a medium-risk virus, but it still carries a destructive payload. Infected users will have their systems C drive formatted. The virus also deletes certain antivirus products, and drops the files WTC.exe and mixDaLaL.vbs. The virus also replaces HTM and HTML files with the message: AmeRiCa . . . Few Days WiLL Show you What We Can Do ! ! ! it's Our Turn >>> ZaCkEr is So Sorry For you." The Trojan requires that the Visual Basic Runtime Library MSVBVM50.DLL be available on the targeted computer system.
- George V. Hulme

Kenan Patrick Jarboe, Ph.D.
Athena Alliance
711 10th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003
(202) 547-7064
[email protected] www.athenaalliance.org (http://www.athenaalliance.org)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-25-2001, 02:17 PM
This is so sick... There are so many viruses that have been going around since Sept. 11. Why to people hear about something bad and feel the need to make things worse?!!

Between the Nimda and the README, my computer at home is out of commission, and we had to go out and spend $50 on a new virus program. Our computer networks at work have been spotty - they worked up till about noon, then off for 2 hours, now on again!

This is like when there's a hurricane, and people go through the town and loot grocery stores, etc.

Sick!

Eudora
09-26-2001, 09:20 AM
That's sick~also scary.... I don't want my project work to be wiped out!! Thanks for sharing that info! I'll keep a lookout for anything like that.