PDA

View Full Version : Gees, sounds like these terrorists had a lot more planned

Rottie
09-24-2001, 01:05 PM
I have a friend who breeds German Shepherd dogs. She went to Germany for the big "Seiger" (sp?) show for German Shepherds the week before this whole thing happened. She came back on the 11th and had already left before the World Trade Center was hit.

They were flying over Canada just about an hour more and they'd be in America when the pilot came on in German with a panicky voice. She didn't understand German enough to know what he said, so she thought that the plane was going down (like crashing).

A few minutes later, he came on in English and said that there is a National Emergency, the US Borders are closed. :eek:

She still really had no idea what was happening, and she only had $80 with her so she thought she'd put the salami sandwich and cheese cubes they gave her on the airplane in her pocket for later.

When the plane finally landed there was intense security and they found the food in her pocket and threatened to arrest her for importing meat and cheese :rolleyes:

If this is not enough, we got a call from her today and she said that there were supposed terrorists on board her plane. After she got off the plane everyone was calling their family trying to figure out what was going on and to say that they were alright.

This one man asked if he could use her cell phone, the phone call was really weird, just "Hi John, I can't make the meeting." That's it. Most people were talking to their family assuring them that they were okay, bla bla bla. This must've been some secret code.

He was later found and I think arrested for having a fake passport. There were also airline suits (like the ones either pilots, or flight attendants wear) in his luggage and also phony pilot licenses (something like that).

They think this guy was going to stop off in Chicago (were the plane was supposed to land) and get on another plane (which would give him a full(er) tank of fuel, then head for who knows? the White House???

Freaky, huh? :eek:

aly
09-24-2001, 02:52 PM
Oh my god, that's so scary.

I also heard they found box cutters on two other planes that were grounded when the first plane hit the WTC. One of the planes took off from Boston. There were box cutters underneath two seats next to each other. On the other flight, there was a box cutter in the trash. I thank God that the terrorists were not all successful.

Pam
09-24-2001, 06:53 PM
I know we are all on edge as a nation and the President and Mayor Giuliani have said to lead our lives as normally as possible. Today we had a patient in our office who was wearing a turban and of obvious middle east descent. Of course it made for some uneasy thoughts. This whole situation is just awful. We were saying in work today if we could only turn back the calendar to Sept. 10th. :(

4 feline house
09-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Of course, Arabs were Ghutrahs. Indians were turbans generally.

purrley
09-25-2001, 07:46 AM
If I was to travel, board a plane and have
arab looking dudes boarding the same plane,
I doubt I'd get on. Can't help it - it's
just so scary now :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-25-2001, 07:55 AM
I think your comment, purrley, is prejeduce and unfair. What happened does not represent all Arabs or Muslims. Saying you wouldn't get on the same plane with one is exactly what this country doesn't stand for!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-25-2001, 09:42 AM
Souraya I think purrley does not mean to be racist, I think it is a reaction more to being afraid to fly and not knowing who the person next to you could be. Everyone is refering to the terrorists and not to Arabs or Muslims in general. Please don't take it personally, remember there were people of every nationality who died in the towers and I also believe Arabs and Muslims were among them. We can't afford to be divided now, we must all unite together to keep this Country strong.
Jackie

Pam
09-25-2001, 02:30 PM
I agree with Jackie and purrley. It's not a matter of being prejudiced. With the news media telling us that there are so many cell groups of terrorists still out there, it is only natural to wonder now when we notice someone who might be from that part of the world. Before September 11th no one noticed but now we do. We are not on a witch hunt for arabs but we are concerned and, yes, we are worried. Wish it wasn't so! Of course, no one should be harrassed because of their race/religion/nationality. That's an entirely different thing!

NoahsMommy
09-25-2001, 02:42 PM
I don't think Purrly's comment was meant to offend...she was just being honest about all the risk lately. There is so much going on, it is hard not to be a bit fearful.

This is all so unnerving. I still don't see how anyone can consciously think it's OK to kill people. I don't understand why they have interpreted their religion in this way. It just doesn't make sense; especially since the other 98% of Muslims don't believe this way. These actions truly are evil!!! :(

On the news this morning, they were saying that all water basins and reservoirs in CA would be closely monitors all day and night and all crop dusting planes are grounded until midnight tonight. They are fearing chemical warfare....jeeez! I am not sure what the Muslim belief on life after death is, but I believe in heaven and hell. Hell is going to be well deserved for these people... :mad:

I will continue to pray for peace in our hearts at this time.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: NoahsMommy ]

aly
09-25-2001, 02:52 PM
I heard there's a manual that bin Laden's people have on how to blend in more into the American crowd.. stuff like shaving facial hair and inconspicuous clothing to wear...

Logan
09-25-2001, 03:26 PM
Jackie and others, I think your response is so sensible....everyone is fearful of everything nowadays, and for good reason. Purrley, I'm sure didn't mean to sound predjudiced....she was just expressing her nervousness.

I hope everyone will remain level headed in the midst of these tragedies.

zippy-kat
09-25-2001, 05:11 PM
Speaking of being afraid to fly...

They have grounded all crop dusters in our area. I guess they are afraid of the possibility of chemical warfare?

Cougie Wechsler
09-25-2001, 05:28 PM
Hi Zippy, I hope things down your way get smoothed out soon as far as the crop dusters go. I know folks down there are so dependent on agriculture for a living. I'll keep all the ranchers in southern NM in my prayers! :)

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Cougie Wechsler ]

Eudora
09-26-2001, 09:15 AM
I don't think Purrley meant to be prejudiced, but HONESTLY! Just because a person believes in something does not mean she or her can be associated with someone who happens to be of the same ethnic background and did something wrong or evil. I am sure the Muslims want no more to be associated with Mr bin Laden than the Germans wish to be with Hitler.

zippy-kat
09-26-2001, 09:37 AM
I heard last night on the news that they were letting the crop dusters resume their work. Yay for the farmers/ranchers!

purrley
09-26-2001, 10:41 AM
If I sounded racist, please accept my apology. No I am not racist - far from it.
I was just expressing my fear of what's going on today. Besides, who would have thought that one of our own could have been so terribly evil (referring to the Oklahoma incident.) Sorry for the misundering - I love you all!!!

purrley
09-26-2001, 10:55 AM
P.S. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO CAN READ
BETWEEN THE LINES. AND ALSO IN MY LAST
POSTING THAT'S MISUNDERSTANDING, NOT MISUNDERING :D :D

NoahsMommy
09-26-2001, 11:09 AM
Spencer,

LOVE your letter to bin laden!!!

Rottie
09-29-2001, 11:49 AM
I talked to my friend yesterday and she said they wanted her to go on 20/20 and to be interviewed for the Washington Post. But she wouldn't dare do it because she doesn't want any other terrorists or friends of Bin Ladin to find out she was the person that turned over their fellow terrorist.

She's also heard lots of news reports saying that a cell phone call has led to the capture of America's #1 wanted (or one of America most wanted, can't remember what she said) suspected terrorist or something like that! Wow. :eek: I am so glad she got back okay. :)

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: Rottie ]

pepper636
10-05-2001, 01:34 PM
I live in a small town and right now really glad I do. I have always had a fear of flying and now I do not know if I will ever get on a plane again.

I can't help it but I keep thinking of all the families who lost loved ones, all the people on those planes bound for new adventures, the children on those planes now dead, never having a chance to live. And for what? For Allah? I am unable to comprehend this thinking. :(

K9karen
10-06-2001, 11:26 PM
Oh Geez! If you all stop travelling, I'll be out of a job! As a corporate travel agent, handling a huge intl corporation, there's been almost a complete no travel policy, unless there is CEO approval! These people have to see their clients etc, there is only so many phone calls, emails you can do. I am not afraid to get on a plane. My own personal, not relgious related thoughts are that if it's your time, it's your time, whether you are on a plane or walking across the street. I refuse to let these heathens scare me so that I'll never enter a tall building again either! As I mentioned before, I KNOW Muslims, and for that matter, Germans, and I,in no way, accuse them or blame them for anything, and I'm sure the majority of people feel the same way. It's a shame it's easier to identify a Middle Eastern person physically then it is a "Timothy McVeigh" who blended in as a normal :confused: white guy! I just think it'll take a very, very long time to get over this and that we will always have a fear in the back of our minds. We're only human.(I think :D)

Daisy's Mom
10-07-2001, 12:02 AM
How did I miss this topic? Rottie I am so glad that your friend is okay! How scary this all must be for her. As for not wanting to fly anymore: ditto! But Spencer is right, we can't do that. We can't let the terrorists win. They want to scare us out of everything. They want to scare us away from everything in life that we love until life isn't worth living anymore. We just can't let that happen. I know this is very much easier said than done and I am praying that I won't have to get on a plane any time soon... but I know that I'll have to some day. We can get through this, America!

Pam
10-07-2001, 07:05 AM
Karen, I was at my sister-in-law's yesterday and she was telling me that she has to fly to Miami next week for her job. I told her how afraid I was for her. She said exactly the same thing to me that you just said. She feels that when it's her time that will be the time and not a minute sooner or later. I do agree that it does make sense, but I will still be praying my head off for her when she is flying. :(

crow_noir
10-07-2001, 02:41 PM
wow! Rottie! that is an amazing story!!! i'm so happy that your friend is ok!