PDA

View Full Version : Did We Just have An Earthquake!?!?!?!?

Kfamr
03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
OMG.

About 10 or so minutes ago our house rattled and shaked, LOUD rumbling sound and booming.

There's absolutely nothing on the news yet.
BUT, my friends in Clearwater (2 towns over), friend in Tarpon, and friend in Crystal Beach (Both next to our town) FELT IT!!

You could see our sliding glass door shake. I'm so scared yet interested. I had thought a water main in our backyard broke or something (since we're getting a pool in)

I'm so curious to see what's going on!!

Kfamr
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
There was just a news report... They said they contacted a siesmatoligist (sp?) and they're looking at their records. They said it's highly unlikely but POSSIBLE for an earthquake in Florida.
It was felt over many counties.

It could have been a sonic boom, earthquake, who knows what!
I think it's so neat yet scary!!

Samantha Puppy
03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Cool, as long as no one was hurt! Keep us posted.

It's odd for Maryland to have any seismic activity but we had a small earthquake a couple weeks ago. I didn't feel anything though.

slleipnir
03-11-2005, 07:37 PM
We don't get earthquakes here, but when I was in Quebec once there was one. I was asleep at the time and woke up and had no idea what was going on but I never even though it was an earthquake till the news said so.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-11-2005, 08:03 PM
That's crazy.
I didn't feel anything over this way.

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
How weird!! We have had a few small ones in Ohio. We actually have a fault line through the area, but the ones we get, we usually don't fell. The only one I really remember was when I was in 8th grade. We were outside and there was a loud noise. We thought a transformer had blown, but found out later it was an earthquake!

Kfamr
03-11-2005, 09:51 PM
We found out it was two F18 jets flying too fast and too low into MacDill Air Force Base. The Earthquake Center said that the vibrations registered as a 2.7 on the Richter 5 Scale.

They said that they got calls all the way from Tallahassee to Sarasota - for those of you who don't know Florida, that's basically the whole northern westcoast of Florida. Even some in the center of the state felt it.

cloverfdx
03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
That is interesting Kay, i am glad it was not an earthquake though :).

wolf_Q
03-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow that's really weird! Be glad it wasn't an earthquake! Apparently we have earthquakes here quite frequently but I've only really felt one.

jenfer
03-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Whew... at least it's not a earth quake. I think last week (or the week before??) WA has a small quake too. I didn't feel it. But the last one was quite scary.

LKPike
03-12-2005, 11:44 AM
is there any construction nearby where they might be using explosives? I thought there was an earthquake in usa, tennessee once but it turned out to be explosives from a construction thing :p