PDA

View Full Version : Fire! Prayers please!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
We are having a raging fire in our town's downtown area.
Two buildings have collapsed and the fire is still out of control.
To make things worse, there is a horrible wind.
My house is a mile away but the wind is blowing the smoke this way.
Please pray for the firefighters and all who will be effected by this fire!
Thanks!

aly
03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Prayers on the way. I hope everything will be okay :( Stay safe.

Cataholic
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Prayers on the way. How scary.:(

Rachel
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Of course, Connie. Fire is something that terrifies me.

Oggyflute
03-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Thoughts are with you. Stay calm, have an evacuation plan if needed. Have your hoses ready. If there are cinders in the air, block your gutter drains and fill up with water. Always do exactly what a fireman advises.
I have lived with the threat of bushfire just about all my life, sp I know how dangerous a fire can be. That fire with a good wind could be upon you in a matter of a minute. So don't take things for granted. Put important papers in a secure case to take with you, that is if they are not in a fire proof safe. Best of luck and let everyone no you are OK!

K9soul
03-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Oh my :(. Prayers are on the way. Fire is one of my worst fears too, as I witnessed my best friend's home after it was burned to the ground when I was younger. It is very devastating. Praying for everyone involved and that God be with the firemen/women combating it.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone. We just had a update.
The fire is still out of control and is engulfing two blocks. Two, possible 3 buildings have collapsed. fire looks to be going to cross the alley and get into the buildings on the other side.
Looks like lots of our historic buildings are going to be damaged or lost.
Black stuff is now falling in my yard.
We have been told to use no water at all.

What frightens me, is I only have one cat carrier and 4 cats. You can bet I'm looking for big boxes I can poke air hole in and duct tape shut. I won't leave them!!!
Thanks for the prayers.

ChrisH
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh, no. Prayers on the way.

Jadapit
03-11-2005, 05:02 PM
How scary!! Do they know how the fire started? You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be careful and stay safe.

QueenScoopalot
03-11-2005, 05:20 PM
How terrifying! I hope everyone is safe, and nobody gets hurt. Sending prayers that they'll get the fire under control fast. Do you have any laundry bags with cinch cords? Great instant cat carriers in a pinch. Pillow cases work also, but they need to be fastened somehow. Or stuff all 4 kitties into the one carrier, and don't carry by the handle! Hope you don't have to vacate though. :(

Corinna
03-11-2005, 05:44 PM
prayers for you and all.

luvofallhorses
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Prayers and thoughts from Montana. Please Stay safe.

joycenalex
03-11-2005, 06:07 PM
prayers going up fast and furious!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the prayers. I'm sure they are helping.
We have firefighters from 5 other towns here now helping.
They just brought in black hawk helicopters to make water drops too. They are amazing!
With dusk coming, it looks like the end of the world. I've seen some flames even from the distance I am.
I'm glad I have a bunch of water stockpiled. In tornado alley, it's always a wise idea. I can at least have a drink or fix some tea.
The fire is only a block or two from our fort which is a national monumnet now. That's probably how we rated the helicopters.
Please keep the prayers coming.
Thank you all.

(queenscoopalot that's a good idea about pillow cases! I'll keep it in mind! Thanks)

zippy-kat
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Prayers are on the way dear friend! :eek:

I just tried to call you but the line was busy. If you need anything, please don't hesitate!

Do you have a backpack or tote bag or suitcase a kitty could travel in?

Logan
03-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Hang in there, Connie. I hope that everything is ok for you. I'm so sorry about your city and the damage caused by the fire. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh no! :( How scary! I hope they get the fire under control very soon. Stay safe!

slick
03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh dear, Connie, I didn't see this until now. Do you have neighbours that can assist you in the event of evacuation??

This is so scary; fire is one of my greatest fears. Please know that mega prayers are on the way. Please stay safe and keep posting those uppydates so we know you are OK.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Still here. I was out watching the helicopters and left my computer onto the net. I have dial up, that's why Zip got a busy signal. I gave her a call and let her know I was still ok.
Helicopters still making drops.
One good thing, for me a least, the wind has shifted a bit to the north so I'm not getting as much smoke. Now if it just will die down.
Thanks again, my friends.

slick
03-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Thank God you are OK! I'm leaving work now and will check in with you later.

{{{hugs}}}
slick xoxo

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2005, 08:39 PM
How scary!! Prayers for you and the people of your town, and all those fighting the fire.

QueenScoopalot
03-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for updating us all! Keep safe, and keep us updated..and STILL sending prayers that all will be calm soon. ;)

Soapets
03-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Thoughts and prayers from Nebraska........ PLEASE let us know when things are under control there, and how you are doing!!!

rg_girlca
03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh my gosh I have shivers reading this.

Big time prayers on the way that you and your family stay safe.

I was also going to mention getting out any big tote bags or purses that you can put your cats in if need be.

I also pray that no firefighter or any other person is injured.

slick
03-11-2005, 09:51 PM
What's happening Connie? Are you still OK?

zippy-kat
03-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Hoping everything is ok, Connie! *crosses fingers*

shais_mom
03-12-2005, 01:15 AM
prayers on the way Connie.
How are things? :(

gini
03-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Oh, Connie, I am making a late night check in on Pet Talk and I just saw this thread.

I pray that you and the kitties are alright. I will check in on this thread in the morning hoping you have good news.

Prayers and hugs from Gini

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Just saw this...:eek: Oh no, how terrifying:eek: !! I hope you are alright, Connie!!

davidpizzica
03-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Oh, Connie! Pittsburgh prayers are on their way! I pray that the fires will be contained shortly, and that you will be safe.

slick
03-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Connie, where are you? Please check in or I may have to resort to getting your phone number from my lil Sis, Zippy. ;) Thanks.

davidpizzica
03-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Connie, I second that! Please check in!

QueenScoopalot
03-12-2005, 10:06 AM
We need an update soon! We're all worrying about you Connie. :(

trayi52
03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Connie, just seen this thread. Please check in and let us know if you are okay.

Prayers and good thoughts are headed your way.

Willie

gini
03-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Connie, let me add my name to the list of worriers.!!

Gini

momoffuzzyfaces
03-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm here guys! Thank you all so much for the prayers and well wishes.

What a night! The fire is still smoldering but under control now. We ended up with firefighters from 14 cities helping out plus the black hawk helicopters.

The wind died down and that helped a lot too.
We lost at least 10 buildings for sure plus 6 are badly damaged and may need to be torn down. Some of them were built in 1863 when the fort was built.

The fire did jump the street and get onto the roof of a wooden rail road depot the city had restored. Luckily, they got it out and it is safe.

The wind is picking up a bit now and I can smell smoke from the fire. I heard a helicopter going over but think it was a news helicopter. We even made CNN this morning. The scrawl part, still I'm surprised they noticed. We got the boot now because they caught the man who shot the judge and others in Atlanta yesterday. I'm so glad they caught him, by the way.

We are still to conserve water all weekend; no car washing, laundry and such.

We are to hear from the city manager again after lunch. I'll let you know if anything new pops up.

We were so blessed: NOT A SINGLE PERSON WAS EVEN INJURED!
A miracle since the fire started in a business district during business hours. I'm sure all your prayers helped a lot!
Thank you again so very much.
Ya see how you are? That's why I love you all so much!!!!
:D

slick
03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
OK, now I can breathe easy. Thanks for checking in.

It's amazing how much damage a raging fire and produce and it's such a shame that those old buildings were destroyed. Not a single life injured or lost....now there's something to be thankful for.

I'm so glad you are safe and proof once again that PT Prayers really do work.

[[[hugs]]]
slick xoxoxoxo

gini
03-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Connie, thanks so much for posting and now we can all rest knowing that you are alright.

I was searching Kansas papers for news when the alert that you had responded came in my email.

Give your fur babies a big hug from all of us. I am sure the smell of smoke in the air had them worried too.

I am saddened so many historic buildings have been lost, but to not lose one life really is a miracle.

Hugs to you..............Gini

Cinder & Smoke
03-12-2005, 12:13 PM
W:eek:W!

Here's a local news story that has some interesting details...

Big Fire in Fort Scott, Kansas (http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/local/11114381.htm)

/s/ Phred

zippy-kat
03-12-2005, 12:13 PM
THANK GOODNESS you are ok!

I had planned on giving you a ring if I hadn't heard anything by the time I got thru with breakfast and my shower. I am so thankful you are A-OK. I hope the smoke doesn't give you a headache.

Luv ya!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for checking in!! I was really getting worried that something terrible had happened with you :eek: !
Wow, those firefighters did a great job: no injured!!

Soapets
03-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I am so glad to learn that you are safe and no-one was killed or even injured!:) What a frightening night you must have had!:eek:

I checked this thread last thing before I went to bed last night (around midnight) and first thing when I got up this morning. I had to work this morning so just got home and came and checked and am SO RELIEVED that you are OK!

I watched CNN for it some this morning before going to work, but all they were talking about was that guy that shot the judge and the court reporter, etc. I didn't know they had caught him, either, until I just read it here. That's a relief, too! What a nut!:(

trayi52
03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Good to hear you are okay, Connie! Was getting worried.

Willie:)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
THANK GOODNESS you are ok!

I had planned on giving you a ring if I hadn't heard anything by the time I got thru with breakfast and my shower. I am so thankful you are A-OK. I hope the smoke doesn't give you a headache.

Luv ya! Yep, got a raging headache. Smoke always does that to me and when it's in that amount, well...

Thanks for the link Phred! It is really interesting.
I had forgotten the fort was built in 1842. It was originally built to keep peace between the settlers and the Indians. It was used during the civil war too.

Thanks again everyone.

RedHedd
03-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm glad to hear you're okay and that no one was injured. Fire is one of my biggest fears. Thank you Phred for posting that link as there's been nothing about it in the news that I could find.

ChrisH
03-12-2005, 12:41 PM
{{big hugs}} Thank God you and the kitties are ok! :D

Karen
03-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Thank goodness no one was ijured, and that you and the kitties are all okay.

Now is the time for all Pet Talk folks to think about what they would do if they had to evacuate. Thankfully we have just one bunny, and she has her carrier, but multi-pet households often don't have a carrier-per-pet.

Fire wouldn't stand a chance here today. It was slushing out earlier, now it's snowing. Anyone outside for more than half a second will get soaked.

davidpizzica
03-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Connie, NOW I can let out a sigh o relief! it's just sad the some historic buildings were lost, but the main thing is NO injuries. I'm glad you and your furbabies are safe and sound.

QueenScoopalot
03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Thank God no one was hurt or killed. Great job by the firefighters. It's so sad to hear all that history was ruined, but hopefully they'll be able to restore some of it. We had a huge fire here (not our house, but too close for comfort). It burned for days, and took many historical shoe factories with it. What an awful sight that was. :eek:

shais_mom
03-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I am so glad you are ok Connie!!!
will keep you in my continued thoughts.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-14-2005, 11:03 AM
UPDATE:
The governor is coming to view the damage this afternoon.

Right now the ATF is investigating to determine the cause of the fire.

The loss is estimated at 10 million dollars right now. OUCH!!!

The water ban has been lifted even though the fire is still smoldering a bit.

The building inspecter is coming this afternoon too, to see if any of the walls can be saved or if they all need to come down.

Thanks again everyone!

ramanth
03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
How scary!!

I'm so glad you are okay and that no one was hurt in the fire.

NoahsMommy
03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh Connie, I'm so sorry I wasn't here to offer my prayers and support, but I'm glad you are OK.

I feel for all those that have lost homes/businesses. Fire is so devistating.

((hugs))

RICHARD
03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Since when did Cah lee fuh nee ah expand it's borders?

:confused:

Glad to see everyone is safe.

davidpizzica
03-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Again Connie, I happy that you and your furbabies weren't harmed. But I do pray for the people who have lost possesions and property in this devestating fire.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
UPDATE:
The ATF held a news brief this afternoon about the cause of the fire. They determined that the cause is "UNDETERMINED".
They did state it wasn't arson, which was a big concern.
It started in the basement of a business called, "The Other Bar".
We lost 10 buildings completely and several others are badly damaged.
So sad! But thankfully no injuries!
Thanks again everyone!

davidpizzica
03-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
UPDATE:
The ATF held a news brief this afternoon about the cause of the fire. They determined that the cause is "UNDETERMINED".
They did state it wasn't arson, which was a big concern.
It started in the basement of a business called, "The Other Bar".
We lost 10 buildings completely and several others are badly damaged.
So sad! But thankfully no injuries!
Thanks again everyone! Connie, did you say that some of those buildings which were lost were historical buildings? If they were, then it's a real loss.