PDA

View Full Version : Man superglues his eyes shut..

CamCamPup33
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
:eek: How wierd!

"Doctors have partially restored the sight of an 81-year-old man who accidentally glued his eyes shut when he mistook a tube of superglue for eye drops.

The doctors at Angthong Hospital, 60 miles north of Bangkok, used a chemical solvent, acetone, to dissolve the glue in the monk's right eye, a hospital spokesman said Wednesday. The two-hour operation was done Tuesday.

"His eye is not damaged, the right eye can see clearly after the operation and the doctors said the left eye also is not damaged," a hospital spokesman said.

The man, Phra Khru Prapatworakhun, who is the abbot of a temple in Angthong, was to have his left eye operated on Thursday, the spokesman said."

PJ's Mom
03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh my. :eek:

I know there's a joke there somewhere. My eyes are just watering too much for me to type it. :D

Oggyflute
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
A rather sticky situation. :D

PJ's Mom
03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Not bad. Got any more? :D

Oggyflute
03-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Not at the moment, I'm a bit stuck and can't see any. :D

CamCamPup33
03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Not at the moment, I'm a bit stuck and can't see any. :D

LOL!!! :D

catnapper
03-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh my. :eek: :eek: :eek: I had to giggle at that one. Poor guy. :(

popcornbird
03-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Believe it or not, my uncle (an eye surgeon) has dealt with a similar situation!!!!

He was called to the hospital one night at 3am, bcause an old lady had mistakenly put super glue in her eyes instead of her eye drops. Thankfully, it did not get to her eye....rather, it sealed her eye lids shut. My uncle had to immediately rush to the hospital to 'un-glue' her eyes. He said it was HARD, as her eyes were glued TIGHT, and he had to be really careful. Eventually, her eyes popped open. He said she started screaming, "I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE!!!!!" LOL!!! My uncle has dealt with some WEIRD situations, and showed me videos of some of the surgeries he's done. Some cases are very sad. :( Its so heartwarming to know there are doctors out there who make sacrifices to help ease the lives of so many people.

I really couldn't laugh at this story, because it isn't funny. From what my uncle told me when this happened to one of his patients years ago, its terrible. ANy old person can accidently do this in the darkness of the night. Let's hope it never happens to anyone else ever again!

Tiah
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

I really couldn't laugh at this story, because it isn't funny.

I agree. I find it terribly sad.

KYS
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
It is a miracle his eyes were not damaged.

Very scary.

Twisterdog
03-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I think it's sad, too.

Frankly, if it would have been a younger person, I probably would find it stupid, but not so sad.

But, my parents are both getting close to their 80's, and I certainly have noticed them getting less sharp as the years go on. It is terrribly sad.

Poor old guy.

Someday, we too will all be old.

Soapets
03-12-2005, 12:06 AM
I work for an eye doctor, and this happens more often than you would think. People get the glue bottle confused with the eye drops bottle, and it happens.

The doctor I work for keeps a bottle of fingernail polish remover handy at our office, just for such situations. It works wonderfully well to dissolve the glue. He has to be very careful with it so as not to damage the eye further, though (which has never happened to a patient in his care).

Sometimes there is damage to the person's cornea (clear area over the iris and pupil area) from the glue, but thankfully the cornea will usually heal with proper care. It can be extremely painful for the patient, though.

shais_mom
03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
My dad flash burned his eyes several years ago and when he went to the eye doctor the doctor told him "yes it is bad but isn't as bad as the guy a few weeks ago." He wore contacts and needed to clean them and didn't have any of the enzymatic cleaner for them so he used Efferdent!!!!! His eyes were burned so bad that the Dr. said you could see the ragged edges around his eyes. He had to wear the bandages for 2 weeks! My dad only had to wear his for 24 hours!!

Pit Chick
03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I know there's a joke there somewhere.

Well, I've heard of people having their eyes "glued to the TV" or "glued to the newspaper" or "keep your eyes glued to the road"......

While the situation may not be funny at the time, it is one of those situations you and whoever you tell the story to, would laugh profusely about later.

jackie
04-09-2005, 06:36 PM
that happened to "sofia' from the golden girls. i am not too sure of her name in real life, but i read an article years ago that she glued on of her eyes shut when she was applying false eyelashes.

it must be very scary to have something like that happen.