PDA

View Full Version : Giving blood

Orca
03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I GAVE BLOOD THIS WEEK! And I was so happy! I'd been wanting to do it for a long time, but I had to wait a year after I got my tattoo. And I actually liked giving! It was fun and I can't wait to do it again!

Anyone else here give blood?

Samantha Puppy
03-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Nope, never have and never will. I have an insane phobia of needles so to get one voluntarily... I'll pass. My brother gives all the time though so at least someone from my family is helping out.

Good for you though. I'd be proud of myself if I could do it so you should feel proud of yourself too.

Corinna
03-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Used to but diabetes now keeps me from it . Good for you for doing it.

PJ's Mom
03-11-2005, 10:15 AM
I give blood as often as I can. I have O- blood and that's usually in high demand. I've had 3 phone calls in the last few weeks asking me to give blood again. :eek: :)

Maresche
03-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I donated blood religiously until I spent a year in England during college. Now they won't take my blood....

It's to do with Mad Cow I bet....

Edwina's Secretary
03-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I donated every 8 weeks for years.....the last few years I donated plasma (as I am AB-....good for plasma.) I agree with you. It feels good to get rid of the old stuff and make some nice new blood!

I've yet to find a donation site here.....

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I donated for years in South Africa, then when I came here they were really RUDE to me when I went in to sign up, and I never bothered to go back. I still donate when I am back in SA on holiday, as I am still a registered donor there. I am AB Pos

Queen of Poop
03-11-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd do it, but I don't meet their weight limit. It used to be 100 lbs and now that I'm there it's 110 lbs.

tomkatzid
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Me too, every 58 days, if my iron level is up. Last time I went right to work, bad idea, had to keep sitting down all night. Need to do it on a Saturday.
Katz

Felicia's Mom
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I would like to, but can't because of my medication.

Karen
03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I do, every time there's a chance and it's been long enough. I have very obvious, fat veins that hold still, so even the newest nurse can do my set-up! I've been donating since high school, it's a family tradition. And I can usually donate at my church, as we sponsor blood drives there for the Red Cross.

Tips for anyone considering donating - be well hydrated! Drink a lot of water or juice the day or so before and that day. The only times I've seen people not be able to give, it's because they were dehydrated, and the veins wouldn't be big enough for the needle!

GraciesMommy
03-11-2005, 01:31 PM
I can't..I have tried numerous times and every time my pulse races so fast they can't get it down for me to give..needles scare me too death, but I still try and try...

smokey the elder
03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I've been donating blood since 1979, and try to donate whenever there's a blood drive at work. I'm O+ and in pretty high demand.:)

Oggyflute
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Nope, never have and never will. I have an insane phobia of needles so to get one voluntarily... I'll pass. My brother gives all the time though so at least someone from my family is helping out.

Good for you though. I'd be proud of myself if I could do it so you should feel proud of yourself too.

Oh yeah! I'm right with you there! My partner Carole gives blood on a regular basis though, so our family is not completely void of giving up the red stuff.

lizbud
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I am in good health but cannot give blood. I had hepatitus
as a child so my blood is not accepted.

RICHARD
03-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Cat owners always give blood.

Like it or not.;)

binka_nugget
03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Our school is holding one.. I kind of want to but I can't as I've gotten 6 piercings in the past 6 months. That, and I'm terrified of needles (ironic, eh?). :p

wolfsoul
03-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm terrified of needles, and I can't stand to see blood when it's coming out of a body. If I ever have to get an IV, I'm going to FREAK. Just the thought of things going where they aren't supposed to go freaks me out.

However, I watched a vet show one day, and they explained that they are always in need of animal blood. So I figured that my catahoula can donate blood, and maybe Timber, depending on if they could sedate her lol.

Amber
03-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I definatly am in the future. I used to be fearful of needles and getting shots and blood work, but its just a peice of cake now. So. might as well do it! :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Anyone who has given blood (or tried to) knows you must... EVERY time be asked a series of questions. The reason is to protect the blood supply. These questions include....have you ever, even once, had sex with a man who had sex with another man... have you ever, even once traded sex for drugs or money...etc...

A woman who drew blood, and who I got to know rather well, told a very funny story of how embarrassed she was asking these questions when a group of nuns came to donate....

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I have twice. The first time I was a junior in high school and almost passed out afterward. The second time, I was a senior, and I did pass out, with the needle in my arm. My blood pressure went way up, and my arm bent up at the elbow where the needle was in...I'm chciken now, haven't given since...

joycenalex
03-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Cat owners always give blood.

Like it or not.;)
so true:D i'm o positive, and give as often as i can. someone gave to me when i was an infant, so i feel like i owe back

Sirrahsim
03-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm B negative and would absolutely love to help out by giving blood. Unfortunately for the Red Cross, they haven't updated their policies, so my first years in Germany keep me from donating :( Darn Moooooo'ing Blood:D :D :D

CathyBogart
03-13-2005, 01:09 AM
I have, but I tend to get very anemic and the last few times I was ill for several days, so I'm not going to for awhile. :(

manda_moo87
03-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Good for you, to all of you who do! :)

I'd like to... although I'm terrified of needles, but I'm getting over my fear (I've had a ton of blood work done the past 6 months, so I'm getting used to needles). So perhaps in the near future I'll be able to.

cocker_luva
03-13-2005, 01:58 PM
ive done it and it was the most horrible experience of my life!!! i will NEVER do it again!!! the people seemed like ameturs. they had to chase my vein almost 4 times. :mad: (which means they dug it in my arm, ripped it out and repeated that 4 times!) then once it was over they dug it up in my arm so much that the needle got stuck!:eek: so what did they do?!? the attendent grabbed the tube and with one hard jerk, ripped it out of my arm! it hurt me soo much, i was in pain and was bruised for almost a week. :(

Karen
03-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Reconsider, and do donate again. The next time, drink lots of water the day before, and again that morning so your veins are small from being dehydrated. Then explain you had a terrible time last time, and ask for the most experienced nurse. Some of them can make it so it barely even hurts!

Rachel
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
When I was in college (and very poor) I would sell my blood. They paid $25.00 back then and since that was a many years ago, $25.00 went a long way.

Now I'm on various medications so I don't think they would want the stuff.