PDA

View Full Version : Wysong ! ! ! (i am totally impressed !)

crow_noir
11-11-2001, 04:29 AM
(c&p)

To: ALL (1 of 1)

ok, you all know i am nuts about the natural/raw diet for cats and dogs. well, i have found a dog food well above the rest in quality. i will still vouch for Pet Botanics. but this one defintly beats the heck out of IAMS and Ol' Roy. (no offence to anyone who doth beleive in these products.) http://ighawaii.com/naturally/wysong/dogfood.html
lists ingredients on some of the dogfoods.
www.wysong.net (http://www.wysong.net)
is the official site

i went to the store the other day to pick up a bag of it to mix in w/ King's dog food and i picked up a pamphlet. i was reading about their processing practices and ingredient lists. i was so drop jaw! i mean, they, a dog food company was suggesting supplimenting their food w/ fresh and/or raw meats and veggies!!!

i was planning on telling you all about Wysong pet foods, but i figure it is better if you read it for yourself.
www.wysong.net/pet_food_features.htm (http://www.wysong.net/pet_food_features.htm)
www.wysong.net/wysong_processing_methods.htm (http://www.wysong.net/wysong_processing_methods.htm)
www.wysong.net/one.htm (http://www.wysong.net/one.htm)

these can all be found from the main page by clicking on "Education Questions Controversies" www.wysong.net/wysong_education_litature.htm (http://www.wysong.net/wysong_education_litature.htm)
and you can find so much more on this link too.

so, i come online to look at other products. they are more then a dog food company!! they have a human line! so i sent for a catalogue and i just got it in the mail today. i am sooooo impressed w/ this company!!! not related, to me being impressed, but their human line is bigger than their companion animal line.

if anyone wants to order from them i'm going to be sending away for referral coupons. (you can get 20% off your total purchase.) (i only get 5 so it is first come first serve.)

(go ahead and go on the internet and order a free catalogue. it was a pain in the a$$ trying to figure out how to order w/o an account at first, but i finally got the hang of it.)

i plan on writing a letter to Kymythy R. Schultze (writer of Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: the Ultimate Diet) and getting her professional oppinion on the product. wish me luck w/ that.

Options Reply Delete Edit Rate

AdoreMyDogs
11-11-2001, 08:26 AM
I used to give Graham Innova with Wysong mixed in. I know first hand what a great food it was. I never thought I would switch Graham to a pure raw diet, but I did it 6 weeks ago. I would say that Innova or Wysong are some of the best pellet dog foods out there. I am pleased to see someone using their food. You know that Wysong is a made in Michigan, right? I like their theory of smaller packages, so it stayes fresh longer. Neat idea, and the ingredient list is great, as is the ingredient list for Innova. :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-11-2001, 09:48 AM
I went to a pet store at the other end of town today, because they are the only store in the area that carries Innova and California Natural, and I wanted to compare the costs of those with the Nutro that we currently use. I also checked out Wysong (which was the first time I've seen it). I love both California Natural and Wysong, but, with four dogs, a $1 per pound of food (or more for the Wysong) is just more than we can spend. If I had one or even 2 dogs, I'd probably be making the switch. We talked about it though, and my hubby agrees that the quality of the Innova, CN. and Wysong is outstanding. We agreed that next year, when he has a 'real job' (he's getting his PhD right now, we will probably make a switch! :D
I don't understand why it has to be so expensive.... :( :( :(

4 feline house
11-11-2001, 03:52 PM
And that right there is why most people do not, and will not, feed raw or minimally processed foods to their pets. If it is raw or minimally processed, it has to be packaged in smaller packages because it would spoil too quickly in larger packages. Preparation is also more expensive. Even if it is processed, if they use all animal proteins and no by-products, they are basically using what you pay $2/lb and up for to feed your family.

I'm certainly not an expert on nutrition, but on the other hand I do lack a mere 15 hours of having a BS in Dietetics. The amino acid (what proteins are composed of)that comes from a plant is the same as the amino acid that comes from an animal. There are many amino acids that are only available in animal sources, but if the animo acid is present in both a vegetable and an animal, there is chemically no difference, and it is alot cheaper to get that amino acid from an ear of corn instead of a cattle, and then smaller amounts of meat can be used to provide just the essential amino acids. So, even though cats are carnivores (and remember, dogs aren't), I do not have a problem with Iams, or any other pet food, using corn protein, because they also have animal source proteins in their foods. And that way I can afford to keep four cats. If a person can afford to feed their pets what they feed their families, that's fine, but most of us are unable or unwilling to. And in my only somewhat educated opinion, it is not really necessary. But it is just my [i]opinion[/].

By the way, the list of ingredients for the Wysong cat food was almost identical to Iams, so I'm curious as to how Wysong beats the heck out of Iams. The only difference I could see was the intenstinal cultures in the Wysong, but in a healthy pet those would be very unnecessary, and therefore an unneeded added expense.

crow_noir
11-12-2001, 02:39 AM
Adore: I am sooooo happy to hear that you made the switch!!!

Yes, i do know that they are in Michigan. I was estactic to find that out. they are only about 20 miles from here. ...i'm geusstimating.

Jessica:, i agree about the expence. on our budget, we really can't afford to feed it as the only food, so we use it to add extra nutrients. (just as we switched varities of Pro Plan. we'd mix two to three varities each time we bought more dog food.)

so, i can see where some/a lot of people would be hesitant to buy this stuff.

Leah is correct about why it costs so much. it has to do w/ quality ingredients and how it is processed.

Leah: A lot of dog food companies don't use quality ingredients in their dog food and use unnatural things such as preservatives. a lot of them are shady in their processes. i wish i redily had available the many links i have read on on the truth about dog food. it is SICKENING. such things as grinding up raod kill and euthanized cats and dogs. sick livestock.

perhaps IAMS does not use roadkill, but i have heard many cases of dogs getting cancer at an early age. ....their food, Eukanauba.

so, as a concerned animal person, i just tent to try to steer people in what i beleive to be the right direction.

"Dog Food" has only been in existance for 60 some years. domesticated dog has been around for aprox. 14,000 years. now all of a sudden "people food" is bad for them?! that's what a lot of pet owners belive. if "you" are saying green beans is bad for them, i'll start lecturing. but if you say chocolate, as a people food is bad for them, then i'll agree.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-12-2001, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by crow_noir:
if "you" are saying green beans is bad for them, i'll start lecturing. but if you say chocolate, as a people food is bad for them, then i'll agree.

Our doggies get a couple spoonfuls of salt-free veggies with dinner every day (in fact, Pup gets about half a can). They also get yogurt regularly. I love making food for them - whenever one of them is having a bout of diarhea or throwing up, I make rice and boiled chicken for the sickie, and I mix green beans and yogurt in with it. It makes me feel like a master chef cooking for the most grateful, loving customers!
I love everything I've heard about the BARF diet, but I'm afraid to try. It's just so easy to buy pre-packaged food, and trust that our dogs are getting all the essential nutrients and calories they need.

crow_noir
11-12-2001, 12:21 PM
that's one of the reasons i'm always looking at the ingredients on the foods (it drives the SO insane sometimes ...lol). i realize not everyone is going to fall in love w/ and instantly start feeding whole raw foods. so, i'm always searching for the best "kibble".

:) i know what you mean about them being greatful. ...the hugs i get after he's done *sigh* :)
...it's so cute, now that i have gotten used to it. ...he won't eat his kibble if we don't stand next to him. or if we're eating dinner, bring his dish over to the table. in the mean time he prances around, and wags his tail, and tries to get you to follow him to his dish. then when you actually take a step in the direction of the food, he goes nuts w/ excitement.

Dixieland Dancer
11-12-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Leah S:
<STRONG>The amino acid (what proteins are composed of)that comes from a plant is the same as the amino acid that comes from an animal. There are many amino acids that are only available in animal sources, but if the animo acid is present in both a vegetable and an animal, there is chemically no difference, and it is alot cheaper to get that amino acid from an ear of corn instead of a cattle, and then smaller amounts of meat can be used to provide just the essential amino acids. So, even though cats are carnivores (and remember, dogs aren't), I do not have a problem with Iams, or any other pet food, using corn protein, because they also have animal source proteins in their foods. </STRONG>

I know you guys get tired of hearing my opinions but here I go again! When did dogs stop being carnivores??? :confused: In the wild they eat other animals mostly and will only eat grains if nothing else is available. A carnivore is a meat eater and dogs are meat eaters so I believe a dog is a carnivore!

Again, while I think Wysong is comparable to some other premium dog foods in quality, there are a few things I do not like about it and I feel don't justify the cost. The main things being "Ground Corn and Ground Wheat". It is true that ground corn is an excellent source of carbohydrates, however; it is also a common cause of allergies in our pets. The same with ground wheat and soy products.

I have seen numerous skin problems in the Golden breed over the years. It may be with other breeds as well but I work mainly with Goldens so that is where I base my opinions on. I would estimate over 90% of the skin problems are due to nutritional allergies from the grains in dog food. I always recommend switching to a good quality meat based product such as Innova and the cases of skin problems almost always clear up and don't reoccur. For dogs that continue with skin allergies on primarily meat based diets (and this number is really low) then I recommend California Natural made by Nutura.

There are some dogs that do well on grain based foods. If yours are one of them then by all means keep them on it. They are less expensive and easier on the pocket book. But if you have a dog who always seems to have skin and coat problems then switch to a meat based product as fast as you can!

I checked the ingredients list in Wysong and the second and third ingredients are Ground Corn and Ground Wheat. It also had soybeans as the number 8 ingredient. This is enough for me to not try the product. Innova on the other had has Turkey, Chicken, and Chicken meal as the top three ingredients. Both products cost about the same so I will go with the Innova and get more meat with no ground corn, ground wheat, or soybeans!

If you want to feed your dog a raw diet then may I suggest BilJack raw frozen food. There are two reasons I don't feed this to my dogs. 1. It is very very expensive (even more than Innova) and 2. It is very very expensive.

Okay....I'm off the soapbox now. I think the bottom line is feed your dog what is healthy for them and what you can afford. If you have several dogs and one is having problems and the other is not then feed the one having problems a better diet and leave the others alone. Common Sense, I think?

I hope all you Pet Talkers don't boot me off the site for always being so opinionated. :eek: :eek:

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Dixieland Dancer ]

crow_noir
11-12-2001, 04:48 PM
boot you off?!?! He## No!!! Oppinions are what make up a message board. if we all had the same oppinions, then life would be way boring.

i'm sorry, if i upset anyone, but i personally consider canines boarderline carnivores/omnivores. sure, they eat a LOT of meat, but they also need veggies to stay healthy. (Dalmatians more so.) where as i would consider a cat a complete Carnivore.

oh, and Wysong does have 100% canned meat avaliable. (*chuckle* for those who prefer not to catch it themselves.)

BilJack? never heard of it. ...but if it's that expensive, then that might be a reason i never "heard" of it before ...lol

jeeze! if they were going to kick someone off, they'd kick me first. ...i am soooo against the grain. ...when i eventually do state my oppinion.
:D
so, keep those oppinions comming. ...even if we don't agree w/ them.

i mean, if i stoped talking to someone as soon as they said one thing i din't agree w/, i wouldn't be on these internet boards. i would also be very lonely in "regular" life.

Karen
11-12-2001, 11:01 PM
No one gets booted off for disagreeing! I, too, think that dogs are scavengers, and while they mostly eat meat in the wild, they also eat other stuff whenever they can steal it. Most dogs I know loved some vegies - with Freckles, the St. Bernard we had when I was a kid, it was cooked carrots and corn on the cob most especially. Yes, when we had corn on the cob (from Grandpa's garden, and don't try to pass of supermarket stuff and tell me it's as good) we'd all leave a few kernels on our cobs for Freckles, who would have a wonderful time with them out in the yard! :)

Dixieland Dancer
11-13-2001, 11:05 AM
It's nice to know you guys don't mind me being so opinionated. :rolleyes: My hubby says I usually have good things to say but sometimes I'm too passionate in what I believe in. :confused: It makes me who I am I guess. :p

I just love these smiley faces. One for just about every feeling. :) :o :D :p :eek:

shais_mom
11-13-2001, 12:38 PM
I supplemented Shai's food with the Frozen bil-jac. It was expensive $3 for 2pounds and $4 for 5 pounds. But she loved it and I had such trouble with her stomach, and it didn't make her sick and she followed me everywhere with that bag in my hand!
I can actually get it at our local drugstore. Right now, I have Keegan on Professional Puppy Formula Chicken and Rice. I didn't want to use Puppy Chow, or Iams and I am glad I didn't decide on Eukanuba after reading that!
The royal canin I used for Shai didn't have a puppy formula available and to get Innova I have to travel 30 mi in the opposite direction from where I was shopping.
I used the Professional Lamb and Rice formula with Shaianne and she loved it. I was also thinking about trying Diamond but Decided to go with Professional.
The breeder had Keegan on Puppy Chow and she has made the switch just fine, her stools are nice and firm for easy pickup (in the house) :eek: She dove into the food right away, so I am very happy with my decision.
Will probably stick to it unless I try Innova.

Dixieland Dancer
11-13-2001, 02:51 PM
Staci,
You can have Innova shipped to your house and they have a puppy formula. I weaned all my pups on it and 9 of the families are still feeding it to their pups still. :D

Nothing is better than Bil Jack Frozen (unless you do your own raw diet) but it is very expensive. I get it occassionally at a dog show since they give reduced rates. I can get it in my local grocery store in the frozen food section. They also have a website.

shais_mom
11-14-2001, 12:50 AM
Thanks Candy, I will look into that.
Shai loved frozen biljac I gave her like half a cup mixed with her royal canin. Her coat was so soft, smooth and glossy.

I wonder if the dry BilJac is as good as the frozen?? I know that Logan has Mimi and Butter on BilJac Cat food but I couldn't find it at Pet Supplies Plus.

Logan
11-14-2001, 07:21 AM
Guess what, Staci, I changed Mimi and Butter to Pro Plan. The only reason I did it was that I couldn't count on PetsMart to always have it when I need it. In fact, I no longer buy my pet food from PetsMart for that reason! I'm shopping at a local feed and seed store now, and can get the 20 pound bags of the Iams Weight Control for Honey and Lilly, plus they always have the Pro Plan. They've done fine with the change, but all of my pets like BilJac foods. You can check out their website at www.biljac.com (http://www.biljac.com) . As for the frozen BilJac...I always have some here. It is perfect for making a little meatball to give them medicine. Of course, Lilly is the only one taking medicine right now, but Honey gets her little meatball twice a day too. I just take out a little from the five pound bag and keep it in the refrigerator, and the rest remains frozen. They look forward to that treat! :D

Dixieland Dancer
11-14-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom:
<STRONG>

I wonder if the dry BilJac is as good as the frozen?? </STRONG>

Biljac dry is no where near as good as the frozen! :eek:

Biljac dry uses these ingredients which bring red flags to me. Chicken by-products use any and all organ meat available. Sometimes this can be dangerous since the liver is used to filter toxins and these toxins may be at extremely high counts. You never know. Why do they add so many preservatives???? :confused:

My opinion is either Canidae or Innova. Raw would be Biljac frozen. If your dog(s) have skin problems then you can't afford not to feed one of these.

Now lets take another look at the cost. Dixie is a 65 lb. Golden girl. On Innova she gets 2 1/4 cups a day. If she was on Nutro Max she would get 3 1/3 - 4 1/4 cups. The difference is the density in the nutrients needed to supply adequate nutrition to the dog. Innova is very dense requiring less food intake for the same amount of nutrition that it takes Nutro to provide in almost double the amount of food.

Let's say I get a 20 pound bag of Innova for $23.00 and a 20 pound bag of Nutro for $14.99 (the costs in my area), am I saving? Let's just say for conversation sake that a 20 pound bag contains 100 cups of dog food. If I feed Innova at 2 1/4 cups a day that gives me 44.4 meals. That is $.52 a meal. If I feed Nutro at 3 1/3 cups a day (remember the amount can be as much as 4 1/4) then I get 30 meals. That is $.49 a meal. I get 14.4 more meals with Innova per bag. I also get less stole to clean up. The difference is only 3 cents a bag! :rolleyes:

Now you can compare the ingredients..... You decide :eek: are you really saving that much??????

crow_noir
11-14-2001, 05:14 PM
just to keep w/ the topic, Wysong doesn't use artificial preservatives, or by-products.

...and if someone proves me wrong, you can beat me w/ the frying pan.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-14-2001, 07:37 PM
Dixie, I have a question for you!!!!!!!
We try to give Perry and Daisy healthy food.
Daisy was turning off of the Purina lamb and rice dry food, so we looked around and thought the Natures Receipe canned looked pretty good, it has potatoes and carrots in it. We give them each a 1/4 can in the morning and 1/4 or 1/2 cup of Purina dry lamb and rice in the afternoon and various treats, try to get low cal and low fat.
I think Perry weighs about 26-28 pounds and Daisy about 15-16. Have you looked at the Natures Receipe and what is your opinion of this diet and food?
See we still want your opinion :D
Jackie

4 feline house
11-14-2001, 11:00 PM
Pet foods have so many preservatives because it is necessarily high in fat. Fat goes rancid very quickly (check out that old tub of crisco) and needs preservatives to keep it from spoiling. If you choose dry food, you will surely need preservatives.

4 feline house
11-14-2001, 11:03 PM
Of course, not all preservatives are bad. A very good fat preservative is vitamin E. This would be listed as alpha-tocopherol or tocopheryl acetate or succinate on the label. Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant and is good for skin and coat.

Dixieland Dancer
11-15-2001, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Jackie:
<STRONG>Dixie, I have a question for you!!!!!!!
We try to give Perry and Daisy healthy food.
Daisy was turning off of the Purina lamb and rice dry food, so we looked around and thought the Natures Receipe canned looked pretty good, it has potatoes and carrots in it. We give them each a 1/4 can in the morning and 1/4 or 1/2 cup of Purina dry lamb and rice in the afternoon and various treats, try to get low cal and low fat.
I think Perry weighs about 26-28 pounds and Daisy about 15-16. Have you looked at the Natures Receipe and what is your opinion of this diet and food?
Jackie</STRONG>

The Nature's recipe is pretty good for a canned food. Carrots and Potatoes are pretty far down on the ingredient list but the first ingredient is Lamb stock whick is good. I don't like the ingredients list in the Purina lamb and rice dry at all. The first ingredient is Ground yellow corn and it doesn't get any better after that. I personally would switch the dry but if they are doing okay on it and not having any skin or allergy reactions you can stick with it if you want.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-15-2001, 09:14 AM
Dixie, what dry would you suggest? I like the lamb and rice, their coats are very shiny and slick with the lamb. I mean what kind of dry lamb and rice?
Jackie

shais_mom
11-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Well, I had this post almost done then got up to do something and came back and stubbed my toe and put my hand on the keyboard and did SOMETHING and lost the whole post!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Here I go again:
I think that Nutro has a Lamb and Rice Formula.
I believe from what I am understanding from this discussion and previous several we have had is that Purina Pro Plan is better than plain Purina. The first ingredient in Plain Purina is corn, and I have read that the first ingredient in PPPis chicken and chicken meal. I think. When Shaianne was having her tummy troubles I tried and tried to find the best food for her. I used the chicken formula of PPP and she really liked it. The first ingredient has to be a meat for me to buy it. This is the one reason I stopped using Pedigree, even tho I know other people that swear by it. That is also the reason that I will not buy Science Diet, even tho my sister swears by the lamb and rice formula for her dog. I KNOW that corn is put in dog food for sweetness and texture that was discussed in other food discussions we have had.But when its the first ingredient is when it worries me. This is also the reason I won't buy the Dog Chow products. The breeder told me that they weaned the puppies on Puppy chow and wanted to know if I had any, if not they would give me some. Which was very generous of them don't get me wrong but I had already bought Professional puppy formula and decided that as soon as she started on that the better. I think the reason that most people use Puppy Chow for their puppies is b/c its the most well known Puppy Formula.
I noticed when Shai had dog food that had corn as the main ingredient her stool volume was large and numerus!
I didn't figure that the biljac dry was as good as the frozen. This sounds silly but the packaging is so cheap and generic that was a good clue!!
I gave Keegan a TEASPOONOF canned food that I had left over from Shai(one small can unopened) so I mixed that into her puppy food today to "BRIBE" her to eat in her crate. It worked she ate in her crate and finished the whole bowl. I really don't want to get her started on Canned food like I did Shai. I ran into trouble with that. TUMMY TROUBLES and then she wouldn'e eat her dry food w/o it.
I agree with Candy, Jackie , if Perry and Daisy are doing well on what they are on leave well enough alone. I tried the Natures Recipe carrot and potatoe formula with Shaianne and she was ok with it. I tried the veggie formula and she wouldn't eat it come hell or high water!!

*LabLoverKEB*
11-16-2001, 07:22 PM
<STRONG>I didn't want to use Puppy Chow, or Iams and I am glad I didn't decide on Eukanuba after reading that!
</STRONG>

Staci, I've heard that a lot of people, think Iams and Eukanuba, are bad. I feed Sadie Eukanuba Maintanence(sp?). Is it bad for dogs??? :confused:

shais_mom
11-17-2001, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by crow_noir:
<STRONG>
perhaps IAMS does not use roadkill, but i have heard many cases of dogs getting cancer at an early age. ....their food, Eukanauba.

</STRONG>

I don't know if Iams/Eukanuba is bad but after reading this quote is what I meant

AngieS
11-17-2001, 08:46 PM
<STRONG>I think that Nutro has a Lamb and Rice Formula.
</STRONG>

Yes Nutro has a lamb and rice formula. It is Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice. I feed the Nutro natural choice chicken meal and rice formula.
Angie

crow_noir
11-20-2001, 01:55 AM
Sarah, i don't have any links right now, but i got my info from "the truth about dog foods" type links.

i forget how i got a search, but you may want to look up "dog food" or "dog food ingredients".

i'll try to remember to look some up in the next few days.

crow_noir
11-20-2001, 04:01 AM
I'm not having much luck, but here is one i had to post... http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=79

ah, what the heck http://www.petconsumerreport.com/dog_food.htm

i'm just going to add a few as i go along.

about preservatives... http://www.executec.com/nutra.htm

... http://www.arescuemom.org/Eukanuba,IamsDogFood.html

more testamony about natural, and why commercial is bad. (blah blah blah) http://www.husky-petlove.com/dogfood2.html

hey, i folloed a link, did a search on the page for Eukanuba, and low and behold i find another Schultze fan!!! http://www.leerburg.com/935.htm

both sides of the argument on Eukanuba from Alaska... http://www.adn.com/idit/story/0,3440,238084,00.html

and though i have to grit my teeth in posting this, i like to give all sides of a story if possible, so here is a link against B.A.R.F diets. http://www.secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/main.html
or http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/index.html
http://www.bullmastiffinfo.org/nutritio.htm
this actually has lots of good info. also, the page i got the previous 2 or 3 links from.

do what you will w/ this one http://www.pandgkills.com/IAMS/
:( / :eek: / :mad: / :rolleyes: / :confused:

http://pub28.ezboard.com/factioncatfrm13.showMessage?topicID=84.topic&index=9

hmmm, i may have just found the semi-original to the previous link/post http://207.36.38.241/01/6/petfoodAP0601.html

well, i have to get to bed soon. hope you have better luck then i did. all i know is i had heard about dogs getting cancer from it.

sabies
11-20-2001, 11:18 AM
My dog Sadie is an extremely picky eater. I started trying to feed her higher quality foods as I learned about them and as she got older - I want her around as long as possible! Her favorites: Wysong, Innova, Nutro (the most economical I've found), and Natural Blend by Royal Canin. She does NOT recommend Wellness by Old Mother Hubbard. I tried a taste test with a less picky dog with the same results - did I get a bad bag? She leaves it sitting all day hoping to get something else!

In addition to dry food I give her cottage cheese and egg yolks now and then which she LOVES and from what I've read is good for her. She seemed like 100% carnivore before, now she comes running any time I open anything that sounds like a cottage cheese container!