PDA

View Full Version : A thank you to Australia

gini
09-22-2001, 12:18 PM
My friends just returned from Australia. They shared with us that they had traveled all over your vast country in 29 days. After 9/11/01 they said that every time they said something and their American accent popped out, everyone EVERY ONE, had something kind and comforting to say to them.

They said security at the airport was excellent. Just when they thought they had gotten through the final security gate, they encountered the final check. Every item in their carry-on bags was removed and checked.
They were very happy to oblige.

They will go on to their home today, a small community outside of Boston that has lost two souls in this tragedy.

They are taking with them incredible memories of the kindness and concern of all
Australians and their beautiful country.

Tebaldi
09-24-2001, 12:35 AM
Dear Gini

My heart was warmed to read of your friend's experiences in Australia. There has been an outpouring of support & sympathy here.

Apart from church services, flowers outside the embassies & silent remembrance, many people have been trying to do something more practical such as donate to the various relief funds. Australians also offered to take in to their homes American visitors who were stranded by the closure of US airports.

Australia is a beautiful country and welcomes visitors from all over the world. I have had the priviledge of visiting the USA only once, for a 2-week period in New York city in April 2000. It was a breathtaking experience to witness such a mighty metropolis. I was overwhelmed by the grandeur of the World Trade Centre towers and took many photos of them lying on my back in the plaza!

During my short visit to your country I was struck by how polite and helpful everyone was, even in a busy city like New York. I was also struck by the obvious patriotism and the number of flags flying everywhere, even then. I'm so sorry that such wonderful people have been put through such awful suffering.

Best wishes
Tebaldi

jackiesdaisy1935
09-24-2001, 09:46 AM
Gini, I'm not surprised at what your friends encountered, Australia has been our friend in good times and have stood by us and fought side by side with us in many wars. When we were in Hawaii we took a tour with some Australians and they were so very nice and helped us in any way they could. We spent the day with them which was one of the highlights of our trip. God Bless America, God Bless Australia.

cr7clark
09-24-2001, 10:12 AM
Tebaldi, please convey to your friends and neighbors how very much we here in the USA appreciate your sympathy and support at this time. You have no idea how deeply affected we are when we see photos of people in your country flying our flag and burning candles and praying for us. You are half a world away, yet you care so much. Australia's concern and prayers have not gone unnoticed here.
God bless all of you!