PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs howl?

wolf_Q
03-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Do you have dogs that howl? What makes them howl? Nebo and Reggie both howl....very very occasionally they will do it when they are happy (like when I get home or something) but not much. Also if Nebo is in his crate and unhappy about it he'll let out some pretty awful howls/barks.

Usually they will only howl if we howl with them. And we do (my parents and I) all the time...I bet the neighbors think we're nuts. I love howling with them. They'll "sing" songs with us too. They do a pretty good rendition of Happy Birthday, just ask Kay ;). Sydney will not howl but she will join in by barking.

Nebo will also howl if Reggie and Sydney are barking. Just a few minutes ago they were both barking their heads off at something outside and they were interupted by this long mournful howl...Nebo just can't stand it when they are barking it makes him howl.

Nebo has a really odd howl too...I don't really know how to describe it....so check out the video (attached) ;)

Samantha Puppy
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Samantha will do this really cute, frantic type of howl when she's outside and hears something but cannot see it. She throws her head back and in a very high-pitched girly howl goes, "Ah-WOOOOOOO! WOOO-WOOO-WOOO-WOOO-WOOOO!!!" It's really cute... except when it's like 1 o'clock in the morning... ;)

Other than that, she'll bark at things she CAN see when she's outside. Inside, she's pretty quiet unless I'm giving her a snack in which case, she knows my favorite command is "BOOF!" so she'll bark then.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Tango doesn't really hoel, she makes sort of a "woo wooo woooo" noise lol. I can't really explain it too well. Rb Echo howled whenver the fire alarm thing went off, but that's about it. Tia's never howled.

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Nope, Blaze just BARKS!!:D

cali
03-10-2005, 12:13 PM
lol Misty Roo's . everytime she stretches she goes "woo wooo woooo" in a high voice lol

pitc9
03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh YES!!!! Sierra loooooves to howl at police or ems sirens when they go past the house, she also howls at trains when they blow their horns. (we live 1/2 mile from a track, so I get to hear her everyday!)

When I get home from work, she'll follow me around the house for 10 or 15 minuets just howling at me. I like to think she's asking me how my day at work was, so I tell her, and keep her howling at me! I love it! My friends and family always love to hear her howl when they come over! I have her on video several times, but I've never tried uploading them to the internet, maybe I'll try it one day!
She also likes to howl at me while I'm taking her picture!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p566f1855661b89beff52aac6bdbf8a98/f51a29e7.jpg

hard to see, but she was howling at my niece, and my niece would howl back... this went on for a while!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid152/p627c2529e5aed6b66db0c4f9aca86473/f5b02bb2.jpg

Howling at me because she thought I wa leaving her.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pfcf963cc2e5beea1f98804d4f3be940e/f6083cb7.jpg

Sierra howling at Rick
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid141/pe3005de2f21e5796e4cd69c76fb44d5b/f6cc7fa3.jpg

She's a silly girl that loves to hear herself sing!!

Buddy ...err... well he tries his best to howl along with her, but he sounds like he's being killed!!:p

RobiLee
03-10-2005, 12:37 PM
OMG..I am sitting here laughing like crazy! I loved that video! Thank you so much for posting it. I was kind of having a bad day and feeling a bit down and then I came across this and I feel so much better! Thank you so much. I have played it over and over again. Tori has run up and sat beside me...lol..all calm and still though. Katie was sleeping on the floor, she didn't move from her spot but she is now in full alert mode. I just love it. I can't wait to show Alden and I can't wait to see that boy of yours.

I was going to say that Katie is starting to howl a bit now, but after hearing Nebo, it is nothing like that...lol. Hers is still more of a wooo woooo sound or maybe now it has changed to aarroooo! I don't think I have heard Tori howl yet. She just makes lots of funny noises. You know those funny husky noises.....lol. ;)

GraciesMommy
03-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Nope..Gracie barely barks!

dukedogsmom
03-10-2005, 12:42 PM
That is hilarious! Duke has never howled. Just barks like crazy when he sees someone. I played it over a couple of times, too.

luvofallhorses
03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
nope Buster just barks but he's a coonhound :p my rb basset hound, Buddy did :)

elizabethann
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Fenway howls when a police car or the fire trucks drive by. I get a good laugh out of it. When he was a puppy, I took him to a parade. When the police cars and the fire trucks drove by, they blasted their sirens and Fenway sat there and howled. Everybody got a good laugh. Unfotunately, we couldn't stay because he was afraid of the high school bands drums.

:(

ramanth
03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh Nebo! :D You are so adorable.

I wish Kia would howl or woo woo woo like that, but alas she does not.

She does a close mouthed high pitch whine when she really wants something or when she's bored.

Sometimes in play, she'll do a low 'roo roo roo' like she's talking. :)

Soapets
03-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Oreo always howls when the police, ambulance, or fire trucks go by with their sirens on. I have always felt sorry for him when this happens, because I have always thought it's because the sirens hurt his ears.

Is this correct?:confused: (I see other people on here seem to think it's humorous when their dogs howl when the police or fire trucks or ambulances go by with their sirens on.) Is it possible that the sirens aren't hurting his ears? What other reason would he have to howl when he hears sirens nearby? That's the only time he ever does it.

PJ's Mom
03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Nebo is so cute! :D

Neither of my dogs howl. :)

elizabethann
03-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Soapets, I don't think it hurts Fenway's ears (at least I hope not). Sometimes I'll pretend to howl and he howls back so I'm thinking he's more attracted to the noise. Fenway will hear the sirens about a 1/2 mile away and he'll stand at attention and howl. I'll have to check the internet to see if I can find anything about it.

Soapets
03-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Elizabethann--I would be very interested in anything you might find out about this subject. I've never even considered that his howling might be for some other reason than the sirens hurting his ears. It never occured to me that there might be some other reason he does it, so I've always just felt sorry for him when it happens.

I don't even know for sure where I got this idea. It's just something I've always associated with pain, I guess! Let me know if you find anything out!:)

fritz03
03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Fritz ,our Bichon Frise doesn't howl,but our 1st dog Ruffles,a miniature poodle howled every time my mom and dad went out somewhere.

elizabethann
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Here is what I found:

Howling is a form of communication in dogs. It is a way for dogs to signal their presence to other dogs that are often located far away. It is common in wolves and coyotes, both relatives of today's domestic dog.

Domestic dogs that howl, especially those that howl excessively are usually doing this because they are bored and lonely. Getting extra toys, and giving your dog more attention and exercise will help to stimulate your dog and reduce excessive howling. If you make your dog sleep outside all night, it's no wonder the dog howls a lot. Bring the dog inside!

Sometimes dogs will howl when they hear sirens or other loud higher pitched sounds like clarinets and flutes. These sounds may even come from a television set. Dogs do this as an instinctive response to hearing what they interpret to be another howl (dog in the distance). They are not doing this because it hurts their ears.

© Pets.ca 2003
www.pets.ca

jenfer
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Not really. Most of the time she just BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK... :D

Soapets
03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
WHEW!!!! (Brow wipe!) What a RELIEF! :) Now that I have learned that Oreo isn't howling because his ears hurt whenever he hears sirens, I can stop feeling so bad for him when it happens! ;) I don't even know for sure where I got that idea, but I've never even considered that it could be anything else!

THANKS FOR THE INFO, ELIZABETHANN!:)

wolf_Q
03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Glad you guys liked the Nebo video. ;) Robin I'll have to get Nebo to howl for your in person! Maybe your girls will decide to join in hehe.

Holly's mom
03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
OMG, that video was so funny!:D I loved it! I have never heard Holly howl, however she does make other funny sounds.

cyber-sibes
03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Oh Nebo, you are so cool! The video cracked us up!

Yes, all mine howl. Star throws her head back and howls when she sees us if we've been gone for a while. Sherman makes all kinds of sounds, including howls. And my son's husky Cloud is a big-time howler, to the point of it being a problem - he's a very talkative huskie. Some are and some aren't. I hardly ever hear a sound out of Star, I guess that's why we're so thrilled when she howls for us!

FireFightersFlame
03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Macy will sing with me. I have to howl first (imagine that one :rolleyes: ) but I get get her goin for a while. I've noticed though that when I change keys, she does too. It's so cute!

Denyce
03-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Sequoia is a very talkative husky. She wooos and howls and makes this funny little growly woo. But only when we are around. When she is out in her kennal she is sooo quiet. The oil guy came on Tuesday to fill our tank and he didn't even know she was there. She never barked or made a sound...just stayed on her chair and watched him. But if we are with her and going into pet stores with her or walking downtown she will wooo at people all the time. In fact she gets extremely vocal if she feels she is being ignored.

We had her at the vet 2 weeks ago getting her rabies shot and the people behind the counter were just doing computer work and such and not paying attention to her. She put her paws up on the counter and gave them quite the husky tongue lashing till they laughed and came over to pet her. *L*

In the evenings we all woo and howl to the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain".

Denyce

elizabethann
03-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Denyce - That is so funny about your husky. What a cutie. There's a husky that goes to the dog park and howls at everybody as if to say "hello". It's like she wants to start a conversation with you. It's so funny and very cute. I often wonder what she's trying to say?

Denyce
03-10-2005, 03:15 PM
I always figure Sequoia is saying....."Hello...I am here..worship me properly please". Tomorrow we are going to Philadelphia and staying in Center City in the Hotel Sofitel which is suppose to be a luxury hotel which welcomes pets. I can't wait till Sequoia walks into the lobby and sits down and howls like a wolf till everyone notices her. :D :D

Denyce

wolfsoul
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm at school so I can't hear Nebo. :(

Very rarely Timber will howl. It's always when she hears an ambulance. She will let out a long, soft, pure unwavering note. It's so beautiful. Everyone else I know hates it but I love to hear a dog howl.

Btw -- you should hear Tikeya. She sounds like a dying cow LOL. It's really funny and cute. Sometimes I will hear her and think I hear a crying baby. Next time I see her I'll bring my camera.

ParNone
03-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Too Funny! You go Nebo! :)

None of mine howl. Maddie use to yodel. Oz does a pretty good wounded bear imitiation. Gull shrieks and has all kinds of moan and groan sounds. And Murph just has a normal bark. He's generally pretty quiet, which is a blessing, when you've got 2 vocal Collies. :)

Par...

Glacier
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
My dogs are howling fools! They howl in unison several times a day, usually just after my alarm goes off at 6:30am, again just before their dinner time and precisely at 10pm--you could set a watch by that one! We call it Choir Practice.

They also howl and carry on like fools when they see their harnesses or one of my "dog walking" outfits. they know some of them are going to get to do something fun! Howling sometimes comes along with a good game of Husky Chase too.

There is another dog team down the road from us. The two teams talk to each other pretty regularly. I know when my neighbor is feeding, harnessing or outside in his yard.

They rarely bark. Barking means a bear or a moose is in the forest behind us. Ozzy barks when he sees someone he doesn't know. Frantic barking means there is a fight or about to be a fight.

Bandit actually carries on converstations. He wooos and then waits for a response and then continues--just like he was talking to me.

Founder is the noisest of all the dogs. He carries on like an idiot when he's in the pen. He thinks he should be allowed to be in the big yard 24/7. The way he acts you'd think the pen was a tiny crate, not an acre in size!

Raven squeals when she's happy. It's a horrible noise! The first sign that she doesn't feel well though is always that she stops squealing. The noise isn't as bad at our place. She was deafening in the small shelter building!

2crazypuppies4me
03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a Beagle and a Boxer/Beagle mix ~ need I saw more? LOL

Suki Wingy
03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Nope! Niño whines a lot though!

lizbud
03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
My first dog, my RB Angel Buddy, used to howl sometimes.
The first time he did it was after I left him to go to work one
day. It was the most pitiful howl I ever heard in my life. I had to
go back inside the house to check on him because it was the
first time I ever heard it. Sound like a wounded or lonesome
wolf.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/pcc97d124f8945d3afcb03cd6c57dd90c/fd2c82d7.jpg

vinjashira
03-10-2005, 04:03 PM
the only dog I had that howled was a tibetan spaniel cross.... he howls whenever he sees a bitch in season passed by :D

chocolatepuppy
03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Mine don't howl.:( I've even tried howling to try to get them to! They lool at me like I'm an idiot! :rolleyes: Nebo is great at it, btw.:D

sammy101
03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Kodie does!He has a very big,deep hound bark:eek: He loves talking to new people.He'll howl at little kids if they dont come up to pet him:rolleyes: and he'll howl at other dogs when they dont come see him,lol:p :rolleyes: and he'll howl at his favourite people,like this nice old man that he LOVES:D

anna_66
03-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh Amy what a great video! Of course when I was talking to Robin she made sure to point it out to me;)
I love hearing him and can't wait to hear him do it in person:D

Neither Bon nor Huney howl (Bon grunts:rolleyes:and Huney cries) but Roxey is a great howler. Her favorite time to howl is when daddy plays with her!

Adopt_One
03-10-2005, 06:47 PM
ha ha... yes, he howls at fire engines. :) I think it's the cutest darn thing - like a little wolf!

KYS
03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
LOL! that video is just adorable.

Neither of my dogs howl accept........

Rocky has howled loudly in his sleep and has
scared me half to death.

cloverfdx
03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I dont believe it, i was just about to start a thread about howling and saw yours strait away :D.

Answering your question... Boy does Elvis howl, we have regular sing alongs. The last one was in the car on the way to the park last night, i swear people think i am killing him when he gets going at home though :o.

My Brother found out about Elvies howling when he was uh "Singing" to him one day when he was a pup and it has gone on from there lol.

So he is not "Flying Elvis" anymore he is "Singing Elvis".

I will get a video up a little later.

manda_moo87
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
AWW! LOL I love Nebo's howl! :D

Canis Amicus
03-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Yes, Rex (GSD) will howl to barking dogs that he can't see, specially if it is a fight or the other dog is crying.

One evening we went to a field and suddenly he began to howl, it was the first time he did. I tought it was scary but now I am used to it.