PDA

View Full Version : Allen has some issues right now...

catnapper
03-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Allen has gained sooo much weight since eating Kitten Chow daily so much that he no longer can properly groom himself, so he's got really bad stinky butt syndrone and now, he's got a bad case of feline acne because he's not grooming his face either... but he's grooming the others :rolleyes:

In this photo you can see how bad his acne is. Poor pretty white chin. :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/grooming.jpg

I was cleaning Allen's feline acne this morning, and noticed his teeth seem to have a build-up of tartar and his gums have a deep pink ridge above the worst teeth. Does this mean he's got some tooth/gum issues? He's only 4 (exactly 4 as his birthday is somewhere around the middle of March)

I will be making an appointment for his yearly in the next month or so, but looking at his teeth now I'm worried, and I need to know if I should start stashing money away to pay for a dental workup.

Doesn't 4 seem so young to have dental issues? He's only ever been fed dry food, and stuff that is supposed to specially formulated for dental health.

Oh, and he's been on Weight Management food for the past week, and has lost a wee bit of weight already.

Barbara
03-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Filou goes in for tooth cleaning every 1,5-2 years since he is two:(

My dentist says it is as with humans- some build up tartar easier than others depending of small chemical changes in their saliva etc.

The kitten chow may be part of it because dry food helps a little (but wet food is better for the urine tract:rolleyes: ).

I think many of the multicat owners can give more advice on the feeding- they all have to feed their gangs separately to make sure everyone gets what he/she needs.

Good luck to poor Allen.

As soon as we have less snow (we still expect new one for the weekend *baaaahhhhh* ) Filou is in as I start to smell his fishy breath:(

catcrazylady
03-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Oh poor Allen! I hope he doesn't have dental issues already. I have always heard that age doesn't matter with cats. They can have dental problems from very early on. Hopefully he just has some build up and maybe a cleaning will take care of everything.
Don't start blaming yourself either! You haven't done anything wrong. Some cats can live on slop their whole lives and never have a dental problem and yet a well cared for cat can have problems. I think it must be genetic and it's going to happen no matter what you do.
From the weight issue it sure doesn't sound like it's affecting his eating!;) :D When he goes in for his yearly just have them take a look and see what they say. I wouldn't worry about it until then.
Good luck on the diet Allen! Just keep reminding meowmie that there is just more of you to love!:D :D :D

trinity
03-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Its kind of funny...I had to take my Zingo, less than 4 yrs old, in for a dental cleaning the end of last month. And he has always had just the dry food, and even tartar control treats......I was figuring he was just unusual in that it hit him so young...guess not, huh? Good luck Allen!

catmandu
03-10-2005, 10:09 AM
My Poor John Hnacocke teeth,were neglected,by the Breeder,and I thought,that he was too young,for deantal work,too.Then his gums got inflamed,and now,he ,only has 2 teeth,left,and was ill,for a week,or so.The only good thing,was that Big JJJ3,became his Best Friend,and comforted,his Little Balinese Friend.good luck,and hopefully Allen,does nothave this,happen,to him,ever.

PJ's Mom
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh poor Allen! :( Good luck with his teeth. :)

ramanth
03-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Poor Allen. Don't worry buddy... even the prettiest faces get acne. :D

Hope his teeth issues clear up too. *hugs*