PDA

View Full Version : Dog-Sitting - Need advice

melandchico
03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's the situation, My husband and I are dog-sitting this weekend for a friend (we have dog sat for her once before).We will be taking our dog and staying at her house. We have a 111 lb dobie/lab and she has a 70 lb Australian Shepard. The last time we had a few minor problems. Her dog is very possesive....of me. He won't let Goliath near me. He growls and nips when he tries. He takes Goliath's bone and growls and shows his teeth at us if we try to take it away. He even growls and stuff at my dog when he is sleeping. Goliath just wants to play and her dog is constantly at him My dog cryed and whined the whole time because he couldn't get near me, didn't have his bone and just wanted to be friends with the other dog. It's difficult because her dog doesn't listen to us and when we try to do anything it growls and shows his teeth. I am just looking for any suggestions on how to help these two become friends.

aly
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Whew, that is a lot of problems right there. Since it is a petsitting job and not a permanent living situation, I would just try to avoid problems as much as possible by keeping some distance between the dogs as best you can. It could be a lot of work to try to get the dogs to be friends, something that would take longer than a weekend.

It would probably help if you spent some time on neutral territory - maybe go for lots of walks. Their dog might not be so possessive of you outside of his territory. When he is possessive of you, just ignore him and walk away from him. Never stand there and let him stand guard of you.

I'm glad your husband will be with you. It'll help lots of have two people to diffuse the complications.

melandchico
03-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks, they are "somewhat better" when we take them on walks. What should I do when her dog stands guard of me? If anything I would have thought my dog would be doing that.

jennifert9
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Can you watch the dog's at your home instead? Or are you house-sitting too?
Also, I assume you are the primary care-taker of the dog when you are there? Maybe have your husband feed the dogs...and when you go for walks, have him walk the friend's dog and you walk your dog....If he doesn't feel like you are his "lifeline" since his "real" mother has gone away, maybe he will be less aggressive.

melandchico
03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
That's a good point. No we can't keep them here because our place is too small for two big dogs. I will have my husband feed and walk the other dog and see if that helps.