PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk is Moving

Paul
01-13-2002, 02:00 AM
   Cat and Dog of the Day.com have been moved to a new server at a new ISP. Now it's time to move Pet of the Day.com. This will be more difficult because there can only be one Pet Talk bulletin board running at a time. I estimate it will take six hours to transfer Pet Talk from the old server to the new server. I will do this during the night. Depending upon my cold and what happens on Monday, I think I might do this Monday night. I will post a message here when I know when this will happen. Also when a visitor goes to the closed Pet Talk they will receive a message informing them of the changes.

I understand that any change, even for the better, can be annoying. However, we will also use this time to change the software that Pet Talk runs on from UBB to vBulletin. This software will be very similar. It should contain all the messages that are in Pet Talk. It will have everyone's username and password. You will probably have to tell it your username the first time you visit. You should know your username. Just as this system does the new system can send you your password if you know your username and your email address.

Why do we wish to leave UBB, the current software?
   * The search feature is broken. In the beginning it was not good but it worked for a while.
   * Some of the administrative functions have also stopped working.
   * It is scary.

Why do we want new software?
   * We want faster software.
   * We want more features, such as search, who's online, the ability to tell how many times a post has been read.
   * We want software that does not scare us.

The only new feature that you might wish to prepare for is called an avatar. It is a small (up to 50 x 50 pixels) image that appears under your name. You can automatically upload your image to our server so you do not need your own web space such as webshots. I realize people with many pets will not be able to fit them all in this amount of space. However, small images will be very helpful to modem users. Of course there is still a signature feature.

lbaker
01-13-2002, 02:14 AM
Hey Paul...do you & Karen ever sleep?? :rolleyes: or do you just wake up at strange times like me :confused: Thanks again for keeping us all together...koo koo kajoo :D laurie

sasvermont
01-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Thank you for all your hard work! My Gosh. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Paul
01-13-2002, 07:43 AM
   I am awake at strange times. Karen has a regular schedule.

Freckles
01-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Wow, this sounds great. Thanks, Paul and Karen.

SimbaTWonderDog
01-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Paul and Karen,
I have always admired you two for your great work you have put into this website.... i can only go as far as homestead where it has easy steps, i one day hope to have my own website such as yours. You guys have done such great work into this site, and continue to make it a great place to surf and also make it your homepage and come to it everyday like manys do, and so do i. I want to thank you for doing so. You guys are truely wonderful.
KayAnn & Simba :)

*LabLoverKEB*
01-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Oh no!!! :eek: :( Why does Pet Talk have to move? I don't quite understand! :confused: Will it still be the same as it is now? Is the site just moving to a new address? Help!

Karen
01-13-2002, 12:45 PM
No, it won't be at a new address, per se. It will be on a different server, but you will still be able to reach to by going to http://www.PetoftheDay.com and hitting the Pet Talk button, as always.

The new server will be faster, as will the new software. It'll be a teeny bit different, but mostly the same - just better!

No need to panic! :)

*LabLoverKEB*
01-13-2002, 01:26 PM
Phew!!! :o :) :) Thank you soo much, Karen!

slleipnir
01-13-2002, 05:01 PM
When will this be happening?

Karen
01-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Paul will tell everyone before it happens, maybe Monday night, late, but we'll see how everything else goes.

Paul
01-14-2002, 07:33 AM
   I think Pet Talk will move tonight. (Unless my cold gets worse.)

zippy-kat
01-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>(Unless my cold gets worse.)</STRONG>

Hope you feel better soon!
Remember to take lots of Vitamin C & bunny kisses!

slleipnir
01-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Goodluck then, hope the cold gets better

gini
01-14-2002, 10:43 AM
I hope you feel better too. Nothing quite like a winter cold. You have a lot of work ahead of you and we all appreciate you so much!

RachelJ
01-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Having just had a horrible cold over Christmas, I can sympathize. My advice is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and get plenty of rest as opposed to trying to work on PT while you are sick.

Dixieland Dancer
01-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
<STRONG>Having just had a horrible cold over Christmas, I can sympathize. My advice is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and get plenty of rest as opposed to trying to work on PT while you are sick.</STRONG>

Paul,
We really appreciate your dedication and I understand the need to move but please wait until you are feeling better! If you relaps or get worse from lack of sleep we will all feel just terrible! :eek:

Thank you for all you do to keep Pet Talk one of the greatest spots on the Web! :D

thelmalu99
01-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Paul, hope you feel better! I am just getting over a BAD cold, so I can sympathize.
There has been something going around...knocked out a lot of people in my office.
I agree with everyone else-get your rest and wait 'til you feel better. Pet Talk will be here tomorrow. :)

Thelma, Elvis,
Danny and Yertle

NoahsMommy
01-14-2002, 03:07 PM
I hope you feel better Paul! Don't worry about us, we can wait until you feel better!

Thank you to you and Karen for making such a great place to come and share with fellow animal lovers.

God Bless and get well!

Cinder & Smoke
01-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Good Luck with the Big Move, Paul!

Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>I think Pet Talk will move tonight. (Unless my cold gets worse.)</STRONG>

Hope you feel better and the Move goes off without problems.
It's going to be scary for us to see *broken link* messages while Pet Talk is *down* for the changes.

See you all tomorrow on the New & Improved Pet Talk :D!

Paul
01-18-2002, 01:06 PM
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of the world now sees Pet of the Day in its new location. (If http://64.246.0.213/talk/ and http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/ show the same page then you are up to date. If not it should happen in a couple of days.)

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have noticed the system is much faster for me in Internet Explorer on Windows while it is only a little better in Netscape on the Macintosh.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I just wanted to thank everyone for your patience in our big move.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Paul

gini
01-18-2002, 01:42 PM
You are thanking us? While you sat up all night with a bad cold and carefully wrapped "Toys" for all of us to play with.

I think all of the thanks goes to you!

Cinder & Smoke
01-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by gini
... While you sat up all night with a bad cold and carefully wrapped "Toys" for all of us to play with. I think all of the thanks goes to you!

I think I can speak for most of us Pet Talkers ~ WE REALLY ***LIKE*** the New Look of Pet Talk!

And there's no good way to express our *THANKS* to the Founding Fathers, Karen and Paul, other than to say...

THANK YOU !
THANK YOU !
THANK YOU, Karen & Paul

:D :) :D :D :) :D

Get the Message? We **LOVE** This Site!!!!!!
:D

Freckles
01-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Phred, for stating the message so succinctly. but correctly.