PDA

View Full Version : are raisins poisonous to dogs??? beanie just ate a whole pack of them!!!

lute
03-09-2005, 08:28 AM
i heard that raisins were poisonous to dogs, but not sure. we have company and their baby was just feeding beanie a whole box of raisins!:eek: should i make a trip to the vet or what?!

vinjashira
03-09-2005, 08:39 AM
just did some search on the internet and found that raisins can be poisonous if taken in large quantity.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm
If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery. After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating. (S)he will also become dehydrated. Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes. His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

Personally I wouldn't be worried if Beanie doesn't show symptons of food poisoning, but if you are worried than you should take him to the vet as it is always better to be cautious.

lute
03-09-2005, 09:07 AM
thanks.:D

Cinder & Smoke
03-09-2005, 09:30 AM
IF your dog IS senstive to rasins, it may take several hours
for the "symptoms" of illness to develop.

I'd CALL YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY and ask what they recommend.

If they suggest you make the dog vomit up the material >>>

To Induce Vomiting and Prevent Poison Absorption

Giving the dog Hydrogen Peroxide will induce the dog to vomit. A 3 percent solution is most effective. Give one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight of the dog. Repeat every 15 to 20 minutes, up to 3 times, until dog vomits. Syrup of ipecac has been recommended in the past, but Hydrogen peroxide is a better choice for dogs. Syrup of ipecac is only effective 50% of the time and can be dangerous to dogs.

Once the dog has vomited the poison from his/her stomach, activated charcoal should be given to bind any remaining poison and prevent further absorption . The most effective and easily administered home oral charcoal product is compressed activated charcoal which comes in 5 gram tablets. The dose is one tablet per 10 pounds of body weight. If charcoal is not available, coat the intestines with milk and egg white using 1/4 cup egg white and 1/4 cup of milk per 10 pounds of body weight. Give this mixture by mouth using a syringe into the cheek pouch. Once this is completed, rush the dog to the emergency veterinary hospital and inform them of what measures you have taken to treat the poisoning.

2crazypuppies4me
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
OK Lilly have grapes once (same as raisens) and I didn't know that they were bad for her at the time. A while later she was throwing up all the time and had runny poop (don't know how to spell the "D" word) I ended up taking her to the emergency DR. and they almost had to keep her over night :eek: but they gave me really good meds she was better in a few day's but it was very scarey. So call the vet NOW. PLEAESE! Give updates! Good luck!!

wolfsoul
03-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Actually it isn't just large quantities -- even relativley small quantaties are enough to seriously damage a dog or even kill it. Posion control has stated that as few as 7 raisins can be toxic. Since Beanie is fairly small, I would be very worried if he had more than that. I'd keep a very close eye on him!

caseysmom
03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
When we first got bubba...now mind you he was about 4 pounds..he threw up and had runny poo...I knew we had grapes in the house so I asked my daughter if she gave him some...guess she could tell she would be in trouble so at first she said no...I said look I need the truth and she confessed to giving him a few...I said no table food without talking to me...I had explained about chocolate but not about grapes.

Of course that was just a few and he was okay....

lute
03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
no signs of anything yet. i'm having my parents keep an eye on him while i'm gone. i'll be gone till sunday. of course i'll be worried sick about him.

please keep Beanie in your prayers that he's ok.