PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Lucky

catcrazylady
03-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Lucky is the brother of Peanut Butter and Stubby. He was a feral kitten and he is the only cat here today that still acts feral in a lot of ways. His story is sad, but with a happy ending.
Hubby and I first saw these feral kittens when I began feeding their momma on the porch. I looked out the kitchen window one day and saw three of the cutest furballs following their momma. They were about five weeks old and so tiny. Their hair was about three inches long and they looked so darn cute with all that hair dragging the ground with little bitty blue eyes shining through all that fur! There were two orangies and one black/gray. I yelled for hubby to come look. Aren't they the most precious things? His comment was something like..."Oh no!":p

They were very scared of us so I continued to put out food and watch them through the window for several weeks. Then I started putting out canned food and I would sit on the porch until they couldn't stand it anymore and had to come eat while I was there. I began talking to them constantly. They finally got used to me and would come onto the porch when we were outside. We couldn't get very close but at least they weren't terrified of us anymore.

I fed them regularly and they were always there for the meal. One morning the little black one wasn't there. He didn't show up for two days and I thought for sure he was dead. I went out to feed one evening and I heard a strange noise in the bushs. I thought the cats had injured a bird and I went to check on it but instead found the black kitten laying on his side and flopping like a fish out of water. He was trying to flop to the food!:( I went running to hubby crying like a baby. I told him that we had to catch the baby but we had to be very careful. I was afraid he had been hit by a car and had a broken back.

We watched him for a few minutes and he mangaed to get to his feet. His back was kind of arched and all four legs were stiff as boards. It was like they wouldn't bend. He looked like a little stiff racoon. He did manage to eat but when he started to leave we knew we had to catch him quickly.

This turned out to be a lot harder than one might think. He would flop around, get on his feet and run, fall and flop some more. The neighbors daughter saw the rucus and came to help us catch him. I was so afraid that we would do more damage that I told them to back off. I ran in the house to get a blanket to throw over him. By the time I got back outside he was on his feet and following his momma. He was crying his head off and she kept walking away from him. He was walking so stiff and trying to catch up to her. She never looked back and left him struggling to catch her. That image has never left me because it broke my heart right in half! He disappeared into a wooded area and we could not find him.

I cried every night thinking about him. I knew we had scared him so bad that he probably was too terrified to come back and would lay out there and starve to death or be killed by a wandering dog. It just made me sick to think about it.

Being the tough little survivor that he is he made it back to the porch three days later. This time I did everything very cautiously. I put out a blanket and he liked to lay on it. I began to work on building the trust. I would sit on the porch every night for hours and just talk to him. He seemed to like the stories that I told him and would climb onto his blanket when he saw me coming. I had to stay about six feet away but he would listen and nap while I talked. My butt was numb, my legs were stiff and my throat got sore, but I wouldn't move for hours.

Hubby and I discussed the fact that he was not going to survive if we didn't get him in. He couldn't climb a tree, he couldn't run, and he was going to have to be fixed or his hormones were going to kick in and a Tom would probably kill him. I guess I should say that I discussed and hubby (with head hanging down) listened.

So phase 2 began! I enlisted the help of Leroy. I would prop the door open and let Leroy come out and play with the youngsters. They really liked him (naturally) and would follow him around. Mostly little Lucky would just watch him. One day curiousity got the better of Lucky and he followed Leroy into the house. I shut the door and he went nuts!

This is Lucky when he was still outside.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid82/p05d5ed3be2e082c3438739e8d7cc9cf9/fae94bd8.jpg

So now he was in but he was not happy about it! I couldn't get anywhere near him so we just let him be. I began to see him building his strength. He found the stairs and his first big adventure was to make it to the top. It was a struggle but he did it! You could tell he was so proud. He began his own physical therapy by tackling the stairs many times a day. Soon he was running up them full speed! Up and down, up and down, every day. Over and over he did this until he was strong and well muscled. I was so proud of his determination!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p9f214898605acb1cb7d63b75dd01ce47/f9d12409.jpg

He lived in this house for 18 months before I was ever able to lay a hand on him. He loved to eat! One night he was so excited while I was fixing their dinner that he accidently started rubbing on my leg. I reached down and scratched that magic spot right above the tail and the little fella fell over!!! He wanted to run so bad but it felt so good he couldn't move! :D Now that I had found the "spot" I continued doing that every chance I got and eventually was able to pet him. Finally got him off to the vet and fixed and couldn't touch him again for many more months!

He is VERY camera shy and still a bit of a scaredy cat.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p2ae817a96f0b88baf6e39d42debf86f7/f9d12412.jpg

We never were able to determine what happened to him. I don't know if it was car or if he got that disease (Jan, what is the name of it!?) I can't remember but anyway he shows signs of that being a possibility.

He still walks kind of humpbacked and stiff but he doesn't let that slow him down any. He walks like an elephant and you can hear him walking, even on the carpet. He walks very heavy and he is not at all graceful! He appears to have some vision issues as well. Its as if he has to struggle sometimes to see things clearly.

We don't have many photos because he is really afraid of the camera. I try not to traumatize him too much with the flash.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p6ecd544ba663519c6e5a34b9db0c9ac6/f9d123ff.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p8709964f9f46855df5b759e30f7b3a9f/f4e2a73d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p12195085f31c9807798f9328f48cf7ee/f4e2a66e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p0121422d05c8d0bae1e6672deadf5667/f4e2a549.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pb9306cb94dfac875e96b0e6c93426273/f4e2a3d3.jpg

For those of you who have heard this story before I apologize for the repeat. I'm also sorry that it is so long but I condensed as much as I could.
I think Lucky's story is important because it shows the strength and endurance of these amazing creatures.

Please remember folks that when all this happened I had never dealt with ferals before. I didn't know we had a wonderful no kill shelter that would have helped me, and I had never heard of PT! I would do things differently today but at that time I did the best that I knew how to do. Thankfully it worked out!

Today Lucky jumps into my lap for lovins and then moves on to his daddy's chair for some more. He seems happy and well adjusted. He struggles with some things but he has overcome most all of his problems.
We love and admire him. He taught me a lot about strength. He is one tough kitty and I guess I don't need to explain how he got his name!;)

That's our Lucky boy!

mina'smomma
03-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Lucky you are an amazing baby. It was wonderful that you found such a loving family to adopt. You now know what it is like to be loved proberly.

catlover4ever
03-09-2005, 08:02 AM
It's no wonder you named him Lucky...for he sure is Lucky to have found you.

Lisa I am enjoying each and everyone of your stories. I look forward to the next one.

catfamily
03-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Lucky is so gorgeous and fortunate to have been adopted by the best parents:D

Poo
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Lucky is indeed lucky, to have found a lovely home with you. Thanks for sharing his story with us :D

catnapper
03-09-2005, 08:30 AM
*wipes tears from eyes*

Oh what a wonderful story of Lucky! I had no idea he had so many problems and that it took a year and a half to even allow you to touch him! What patience you and hubby have! I think you did marvelously with him... see how much instinct you had? He learned to trust you and you gave him the space and time needed for that trust.

I've always thought Lucky was super-handsome, now I think he's super wonderful too!

QueenScoopalot
03-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow Lisa! I had no idea that Lucky had been through so much at such a tender age. :( And is the "disease" you are refering to cerebellar hypoplasia? :confused: Not exactly a disease if so...more a condition from either mom contracting distemper, or the kittens affected by a very high fever. It affects the cerebellum portion of the brain, which is responsible for balance and coordination. I'm so happy to hear that Lucky's made such strides, and would say give him a kiss for me...but that sounds like a tricky feat lol! Give him a back scritchie for me please! ;) Looking forward to tomorrows tail! :D :) ;)

catcrazylady
03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Yep, that's it Jan. CH for short, right?
I don't know if that is what happened to him or not. The vet seemed to think so but we never had any xrays done on his back or head. Whatever happened caused some nuerological damage. I guess we will never know.:(

catmandu
03-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Lucky,you are One Fantastic Cat,and right now Scrappy 2,is where,you were once,a very timid little Stray,taht I am trying,to tame,and get,to come into the Hotel.And I hope,and pray,that I do,as well,as your Meowmie,did with You,Lucky Lucky.

sirrahbed
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
:D I am loving these installments!! I never knew all of this about Lucky but can still see a bit of that feral look in his eyes. He is a beautiful cat!! Now we get to hear about Stubby and PB!

ratchet22
03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
What a great story, you should consider being a writer, I get so into your stories, they are great, and the endings are always good. Thanks for sharing, and for helping mr. lucky

QueenScoopalot
03-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Yep, that's it Jan. CH for short, right?
I don't know if that is what happened to him or not. The vet seemed to think so but we never had any xrays done on his back or head. Whatever happened caused some nuerological damage. I guess we will never know.:(
Yes..It's called ch for short. Does he still have a staggering gait? Ch kitties tend to compensate for their handicap better as adults, so it may be less pronounced than when Lucky was younger. A lot of ch kitties will do what can best be described as chicken pecking while eating or drinking too. Eli has that one pretty bad, and makes an awful mess pecking his wet food into the rugs. :rolleyes: But he has a quite severe case of ch as well...poor guy. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I LOVE YOU LUCKY!!!!!

I never heard your story before... it made my heart just break. I am so glad you found yourself a wonderful furrever home.... and an even more wonderful mommy to take care of you!!

*KISSES* for Lucky... *HUGS* too.. you lucky boy!

RICHARD
03-09-2005, 01:27 PM
The story of my life starts out kinda sad.
I was in terrible shape, I was doing really bad.
I had some health troubles, I was really ill.
This woman would watch me from the window sill.
My mom watched after me, legs stiff and butt numb-
But I got into the house, Boy, I ain't dumb!
Mom is quite smitten, I think I know why...
I still have some leg problems and boy am I shy!
Some chapters in my story will never be known
I don't ever look back, Because now I have a home!!!
The start of my life was really kinda sucky,
But I then found these folks, And now I feel LUCKY!

QueenScoopalot
03-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Another good one RICHARD! I sounds like it should be put to rap ~music~:D

Vio&Juni
03-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Amazing story of a very handsome cat!

Richard, nice poem!

Shady
03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I am really enjoying reading all about your individuals, and their stories, I see you have many. Love the pictoral stories.

I am anxiously awaiting Magoo's turn. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/qpdoll/Smilies/cat-love.gif

catlady1945
03-09-2005, 05:14 PM
He's a handsome fellow. He's lucky he wandered into your yard.

CalliesMom
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I also greatly enjoy reading your stories! It's given me something to look forward to everyday. The story of Lucky was extra heart warming as he seemed a bit more "difficult" than the others to finally gain your love..and that makes him even more precious!!!!

jenluckenbach
03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
A story fit for a novel ;)

How long has Lucky been inside? Fern (here with me 8 years) is STILL progressing! So you never know......next...lap cat Lucky?!?

DogLover9501
03-09-2005, 06:55 PM
I am loving these stories!

Poor Lucky had a very rough start in life :(

Lisa, you are such an amazing and caring person, you have so much patience and you never give up on a kitty!

Your "brats" are very lucky to have you :)

rg_girlca
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh gosh Lisa, this story had me in tears.

I also never heard it before.
I am so glad it was your yard that mama cat decided to bring her babies too. That was one smart girl.

What an appropriate name that you chose for him.
"LUCKY" It fits him well, as he was one lucky cat to have you care so much about him.

Thank you for sharing these stories of your furbabies. They are so heartwarming.

Looking forward to tomorrow's.:)

catcrazylady
03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Lucky and I thank you for the nice compliments.:)

Lucky is four years old now Jen. He does progress more each year. He just isn't in any hurry.;) He does occasionally get in our laps but only when he initiates it and that's ok with me.

Another great poem Richard! Hey, you are going to have to back to my "Lets talk about Sammy and Pete" threads. They want a poem too! Then on the twelvth day I will have a Richard poem for each one of them!:D

jazzcat
03-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Amazing story Lisa. Lucky truly is lucky!

slick
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Lisa, forgive me, I just can't keep up with Cat General so I'm trying to now.

What a sad and loving story all wrapped into one, but there is something missing here.......

....no half-nikked picture of Daddy!!! :D ;)

Soapets
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
That's a WONDERFUL story about Lucky. He certainly earned his name!:) I liked the pictures, too. Thanks for sharing.....

RICHARD
03-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

Another great poem Richard! Hey, you are going to have to back to my "Lets talk about Sammy and Pete" threads.

done!:D

prechrswife
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Lucky is a lucky boy, and very handsome, too.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-11-2005, 10:04 AM
What an amazing and touching story about Lucky!! You really gave him the perfect name: he is soooo lucky to have found you and your hubby! Thank you so much for having so much patience with Lucky! he is one very lucky Lucky!!:)

krazyaboutkatz
03-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Another heartwarming story. Lucky sure is very lucky to have found you.:)

Jayna78
03-16-2005, 01:40 AM
I'm just now getting to read all of your cats' stories, and I was touched when I read about your cat Lucky, whose name truly does fit. I'm so glad you took him in, and that through his "physical therapy", he's doing better and is now able to be petted by you guys. He's very handsome!

Any cat that comes into your lives seems to do very well, at least eventually, and for that you truly should feel great about yourself and your good deeds! Kudos also to your husband for realizing how important these rescues have been to you and helping out so much with all of them! :)

kimlovescats
03-16-2005, 03:49 PM
What a beautiful story, Lisa. Hugs and Kisses to Lucky! You can tell in his pics, that he still has that bit of distrust in him ... just like my Boots.