PDA

View Full Version : So upset! bubba might have ringworm!

caseysmom
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I just got back from taking bubba to the vet for his rabies vaccine and the vet asked me if he had been itching...I said actually I wanted to ask you about that because I had seen a flea on him and he is on flea meds...

Anyhow ....there was one round red spot on his tummy that looks suspicios...I told the vet to do the test...I found 1 scab on his back...the vet said this is the very beginning...probably happened 7 - 10 days ago...that fits exactly with him going to the groomers...who was highly recommended from someone I trust ....I guess it could have happened anywhere.

I came home (after washing my hands 20 times) and thoroughly checked casey...I found nothing. I washed bubba with his shampoo, I am going to put the ointment on him in a bit...we can't give him the systemic until the test comes back which takes one week...that means we have to keep the pups separate for a week! That will be fun!

My youngest daughter is freaked out apparantly a boy in her class has ringworm on his forehead and it looks pretty bad...she is saying she won't even touch bubba...and she wants to be a vet :rolleyes:

micki76
03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I had a kitten once that had ringworm. Within a week or so, I was covered in them. :eek: But then, I was coudn't bring myself to stop him from sleeping on my head, so it's no wonder I had so many. :D

Wash your hands a LOT.

Oggyflute
03-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Hope Bubba gets better soon. (I'm sure your daughter will get over her aversion.:) When she starts biology in high school if she hasn't already, will certainly determine wether a vet is what she will be)

Giselle
03-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I forget how ringworm lives and spreads, but I'm guessing they do a fecal test? Lucky's fecal test took about 30 minutes to determine whether or not he had intestinal worms... So I'm pretty off, aren't I???

LOL! Whenever my puppers get hurt, I love playing Doctor. Even the flea meds:D Hope Bubba stays well!

micki76
03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Giselle
I forget how ringworm lives and spreads, but I'm guessing they do a fecal test?

Ringworm isn't an intestinal parasite. I'ts a fungus called Tinea.. It's the same fungus that causes athlete's foot and jock itch. Not a worm at all. :)

aly
03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I've had several fosters with ringworm in the past and I've got it a few times myself from the shelter. There is another test they can do where they shine a special light on the area. Then your vet would have known more right there at the appointment. If you happen to be in the office again, you might want to ask about that test.

Like micki said, just wash FREQUENTLY! I use Lanacin on myself (I think that is what its called .. just an over the counter athlete's foot cream that works really well) when I get ringworm.

caseysmom
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Aly....thanks for the advice...I hope casey doesn't get it...can't find anything on her....my daughter had a rash years ago and the doctor brought that light in...not sure why the vet didn't do that unless that only shows that its some kind of fungus not specifically ringworm...

oggyflute....the funny thing is my daughter does dissections at jr high and she has no problem with that....she can watch gross surgeory on tv with no problem...

btw...I feel itchy all day and took the day off to wash everything!!!