PDA

View Full Version : U.S. bans "eyeball jewelry" (gee...I can't imagine why?)

QueenScoopalot
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
http://www.newsgd.com/culture/peopleandlife/200503070064.htm
:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:
U.S. bans "eyeball jewelry"

Some U.S. lawmakers want to make sure the twinkle in your eye doesn't come from jewelry.

Repulsed by a body modification offered at a Dutch institute - where tiny metal hearts and half-moons are surgically embedded in the whites of the eye - one lawmaker has proposed banning the practice in Illinois.
A House committee Thursday approved legislation that would make it a felony to implant jewelry in someone's eye.

"I don't think anybody should be messing with the eyeball," Democratic Rep. Kevin Joyce said Friday.

The procedure involves making a tiny slice in the membrane covering the eye and slipping in a small, flat piece of metal. The result is a shiny shape in the white of the eye. The procedure was performed under local anesthetic.

Dr. Janak Koirala, assistant professor of medicine at Southern Illinois University, said he was concerned about the possibility of infection or other damage - risks that would last as long as the person kept the jewelry in their eye.

"It's not like piercing the skin," he said.

CathyBogart
03-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't understand bans like this - if people are aware of the risks, why interfere in their lives? :rolleyes:

Kfamr
03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't understand bans like these either. Whil I can understand their concern and such, but like Cahty said, if people want to take the risk.....

WHY anyone would want to mess with their eyes and possibly ruin their eyesight is beyond me. I'd LOVE to have perfect eyesight! :(

scraps
03-08-2005, 06:33 PM
it was all i could do to put contacts in, but don't get me wrong if people want to do it more power to them.

Karen
03-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Maybe because if they end up blinded then they qualify for disability and government support? I dunno. People will find a way to do it anyway if they really want to. Though why one would want to is beyond me! I wear very strong glasses to see already. Wouldn't want to jeapordize what sight I have!

lizbud
03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I don't understand bans like this - if people are aware of the risks, why interfere in their lives? :rolleyes:

That's a big IF.:) Unfortunately most people who might chose
to do this will not. I can't imagine a U S Doctor would do this
procedure for anyone because of liability issues.

RICHARD
03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Maybe because if they end up blinded then they qualify for disability and government support? I dunno. People will find a way to do it anyway if they really want to. Though why one would want to is beyond me! I wear very strong glasses to see already. Wouldn't want to jeapordize what sight I have!

Not to mention lawsuits, insurance and the time in an operating room to fix it, should thingsgo badly.

There is a program on cosmetic surgeons on the cable.
It seems like every few cases shown on the program are
repairs for butcher jobs done...Implants, facelifts, tummy tucks.

You can pull a shirt on over a bad surgery, or suffer with a bad facelift or go blind!
:eek:

catnapper
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Definately too much liability. Already doctors have HUGE malpractice insurance rates... just add this with its high risk, and rates will go even higher.... and who pays for their rate increases? ALL OF US! Not just the idiot who wants the metal inserted into their eyeball.

To me, its the same as seatbelt laws - its there to protect the idiots who don't possess enough commonsense to protect themselves.

Orca
03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't like the idea of banning it either. If people want to express themselves like that, no one should stop them from doing it. Though I wouldn't do it - I like piercings, but not in my eye...I can't even put eye drops in :D

QueenScoopalot
03-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
That's a big IF.:) Unfortunately most people who might chose
to do this will not. I can't imagine a U S Doctor would do this
procedure for anyone because of liability issues.
If anyone can find out which doctor/s did the multilation on Michael Jackson's face, I'm sure that they could get eye jewelry! After all, money talks$$$!;) Personally I value my eyesight far more than having something surgically implanted into my eye! The risk of infection, or blindness is just too risky IMO. :eek:

sirrahved
03-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I say let people do whatever they want to their own bodies, as long as it doesn't endanger or harm anyone else.

JMHO...

catnapper
03-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved
I say let people do whatever they want to their own bodies, as long as it doesn't endanger or harm anyone else.
But that just the problem... it does harm others because when problems arise. WE pay as tax payers because they then apply for government aid. Then we pay as fellow insurance holders because insurance rates increase to keep up with the extra cost doctors caharge to cover their malpractice insurance, we pay because medical insurance is raised to offset the expenses these idiots incurr after infection and/or blindness has set in. THAT's definately affecting others. Everything in life has a cause and effect. You blind yourself, its not just you anymore - its many many people paying for it.

sirrahved
03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
But that just the problem... it does harm others because when problems arise. WE pay as tax payers because they then apply for government aid. Then we pay as fellow insurance holders because insurance rates increase to keep up with the extra cost doctors caharge to cover their malpractice insurance, we pay because medical insurance is raised to offset the expenses these idiots incurr after infection and/or blindness has set in. THAT's definately affecting others. Everything in life has a cause and effect. You blind yourself, its not just you anymore - its many many people paying for it.

Maybe the problem is our society that lets you claim millions for something you did to yourself... Both in frivilous malpractice suits and government aid.

RICHARD
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
This is just like the motorcycle helmet laws.

Hey,
Wear one if you want too.....Freedom and all that jazz.....

But when I pay for vegetables, I want to be able to bring them home and consume them. Not keep them on life support.
:rolleyes: :confused: :D

LKPike
03-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I've seen sicker things. This is actually kinda cute.