PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting question.

MaryJae
03-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know of any good web hosting services out there? All the free ones that I've seen seem to be bad(installs adware and such onto your computer) so I rather pay for something good. I'm planning to buy my own domain so I was just wondering what hosting service any of you would recommend?

Thanks! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-08-2005, 03:47 PM
ipowerweb.com

I also have the address of a website that rates all the sites out there so you can compare side by side, but that address is on my home computer. When I get home I'll see if I can find it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-08-2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.web-hosting-reviews.org/

GREAT site that reviews web hosters.

binka_nugget
03-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Di (BcBlondie) and I use Magicomm.net

Their prices are great (I had the $1 plan for a while) and for the dollar, you get 200mbs of space (more than enough for most people). If you find a better plan somewhere else, they'll happily offer it to you at the same price. Right now, I'm paying $4.95 a month for 2 gigs of space and 30 gigs of bandwidth. They also offer domain registration for $7.95 (or something like that). And of course, you get all the fancy stuff to play with (PHP, Mysql, Fantastico). Uptime is great too!

MaryJae
03-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks so much, I'll look into those! :)

Jayna78
03-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Good thread at a good time for me - I'm in a Web design boot camp all this week during the evenings, and we were just talking about Web hosting and domain name buying tonight - this will all be useful to me once I start creating my own sites.

Another question that is sort of related, sort of unrelated - anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall trial versions of software? I'm not trying to be cheap, but I had Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 on the new Dell computer, and I didn't realize it was the trial edition until it was too late - I barely got to use it, and now I can't, and I'd love to get in there and create a few signatures, etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for being able to redo a trial period of software - how to clean up the registry of any traces of the software from the past, so you can download and reinstall another trial version.

Any help would be much appreciated - here or in PMs - I don't care either way. I've just Googled a ton of different things related to this and haven't had much luck coming up with an answer.

Jayna78
03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
bumping up so someone may be able to answer my trial editions of software question...

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows anything...

MaryJae
03-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking about signing up and using this host:
http://www.startlogic.com/

Anyone know if they're good/bad? I e-mailed them with a question and they replied to me in like less than 5 minutes so I know they have an awesome support line. If I do sign up, I'll have to pay for the whole year which is around $90, but it's worth it because I'm planning to get my site officially up and running soon. I'm just simply looking for a decent host that has a webpage builder and also offers the bulletin board/forum so please let me know if you know of a good host offering these at a better price.

Thanks again! :)

Lacey
03-10-2005, 11:28 AM
I used to have the trial version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro for a while. Dunno if they've fixed this little bug with it or not, but once upon a time, if you set your computer's calendar back to a date that was still under the trial period, it would keep going until the calendar reached the date that the trial period expired again. I think I used the 30-day trial version for over a year before I finally got my grubby little mits on a copy of Photoshop LE that came with my tablet.

ramanth
03-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I use F5 Hosting (http://www.f5hosting.com).

Very nice and their support has been quick, friendly, and convienent.

I purchased my domain name from Name Secure.