PDA

View Full Version : Are you a pet god parent?

PJ's Mom
03-08-2005, 11:35 AM
I am to my mom's dog, Allie. If my mom dies or is incapable of taking care of Allie, she comes to live with us.

What about you? Are you a god parent to a pet? :)

catnapper
03-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I was to my grandmom's cats, but when she pased, I was still living with my parents. My dad HATES cats and mom is highly allergic. I hunted high and low for an apartment I coud afford and have the cats... couldn't find one. They ended up with my aunts and uncle. I still feel guilty about it but they are happy and well carred for.

I am a pet god parent for my mom's dog. Though Addie doesn't have much left in her. She's blind, almost deaf and very old.

I have to work out who'd take the cats should I pass. I know a dozen people who have already sworn they'd take Nicki in a heartbeat, but nobody willing to take the cats.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I am a pet god parent to quite a few. Actually I was Charmins (one of my cockatoos) god parent. Her previous owner, a friend of mine is an older lady who became very ill and could no longer care for Charmin.

I am also a god parent to my moms dog, but he's 15, so I'm pretty sure my parents will out live him.

Now here's the big one... I am god mother to one of my good friends crew, and she does a lot of animal rescue and has more than I have. She is god mother to my crew too. We have discussed it many times and if something were to happen to her I will rehome who I can and keep who I can and the ones who can't be adopted out or live with me will be PTS. That might sound horrible but that's the only way we can do it. She has a 22 year old cat that would never get adopted and could never live here, so I would have to have her PTS. The hard thing is that both she and I usually adopt out rescues if we can, we usually only keep ones that aren't adoptable.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I have never heard about this before. We have god-parents for kids, but not for pets. Is this usual in the USA?

micki76
03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes, for my sister's dog. I need a god parent for my three, but sadly, it wouldn't be my sister, :( She has children, and not nearly enough time for my threesome. They would be miserable and ignored. :(

Glacier
03-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Yup! My friend's dogs and cats come to me if anything should happen to her.

We have plans and money set out in our wills for our animals shoud anything happen to us. Right now my husband's dad would get our house and he is required to care for the critters in the style they are accustomed to until the end of their natural lives. Then he can do whatever he wants with property.

PJ's Mom
03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I didn't realize there were so many pet god parents out there! It's kind of cool. ;)

GraciesMommy
03-08-2005, 02:19 PM
No but Gracie has a god parent...a friend of mine from work, Karla..I even made her an "official" document with Gracie's pic that she has framed

luvofallhorses
03-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I was to my friend Lauren's pets. She moved away so I can't see them :( But I feel like I am a godmom to my aunt Barbara's pets:)

Josh4Colts
03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
sort of

melandchico
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm not a pet god parent but my Goliath has a god father.

Corinna
03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Not so much a God mother but a grandma.
M&I is anything not unusual here in the US? Its just how we feel about pets. Maybe some people think we are abit over the top, but we don't care. Most of this is not in legal papers just known to the family members . I have seen some in legal doucuments.

Rachel
03-11-2005, 02:15 PM
We have friends for whom we dog sit when they take a trip. I was the one who encouraged them to finally get a dog. Although nothing has ever been said, if something were to happen to them on one of their trips, I would keep Rita if none of their grown children wanted to take her. It's just kind of a commitment I've made in my own mind.

Logan
03-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I voted "no" because there is no actual agreement, but I'd take Mr. Darcy (my parent's Bosten Terrier) in a heartbeat, if they needed me to. Same goes for my brother's Lab's or cats, and my sister's cats or her dog.......we would just make it work.

Logan

jenfer
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I am not, but my friend is Gigi's godmother. :) And Gigi adores her. :D