PDA

View Full Version : Possible Foster?

shutterbug0303
03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/NC185/NC185.2441977-3-x.jpg

I've had my eye on this girl on Petfinder for a few months now...and her story is just getting so sad! I feel like I MUST do something for her. And now, with the fence going up, I feel like I would be able to foster her and hopefully help out.

I've never fostered before...what is involved? Am I responsible for vet costs? I can't imagine how rewarding yet heartbreaking it is when one finds a home. I would love any input you guys could give me on the subject. Since she is almost 2, do you think someone would need to be home all the time or she would be ok? (My mom and I work and the girls are usually home for about 8 hours during the day) Thanks again!

Here's her petfinder page: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&SessionID=422dd18c6188a60c-app2&pet=2441977&display=&adTarget=468petsgeneral&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

lute
03-08-2005, 11:09 AM
what a sweet looking girl! i hope you can foster her.:D

robinh
03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
When it comes to fostering, it seems like every group is different. I foster for United Yorkie Rescue. They have a list of things they will pay for and a list they won't. I never have to worry about vet bills and medicines if they are necessary - UYR takes care of those. But if they come to us all matted, after the initial grooming, I am responsible for having the pups groomed. I also pay for all food, treats, toys, etc.

If you are thinking of fostering, talk to your vet and ask if they'll give you a discount for a foster. I did and I get 5%, which doesn't seem like much but every bit helps.

I'm still working on the hardening my heart when it comes time to adopt them out to someone, but I can't NOT do this. If I don't or you don't - who will? Thanks so much for even considering it. It's a really tough, wonderful job. And you get so much more out of it than you would ever think.

aly
03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
What is involved in fostering really depends on the group you're fostering for. Some of them do provide vet costs, supplies, and even food. Some provide vet costs but not food. You'd just need to contact them and see how they work their program.

I've been doing almost constant fostering of dogs and cats for several years now. Some of them are pretty short term and some are very long term fosters. I can tell you that with every single foster, no matter how long or short I had them, there is a very deep emotional attachment. It is hard and can even be gut-wrenching at times. I'm an emotional, sensitive person in the first place so most people do have an easier time than I do :o Even though it is taxing on my emotions, I could never stop doing it. Just knowing that I helped an animal out in the most critical time is enough for me to sacrifice my heartache for helping more.

When it is time for them to move on to their new home, you will feel empty and sad. But at the same time you'll know that they have a brand new, happy future ahead that they might not have had if you hadn't helped.

Good luck on everything. She's gorgeous :) I couldn't quite tell from the petfinder page, is she in foster now? It seems like she might be, but I'm not sure. As far as leaving her alone during the day, you could ask her current foster what they do with her (crate, free run of the house, etc).

tatsxxx11
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Aly just posted all the words in my mouth:D She's such a beauty! And what a sad early life this girl has had:( It would be great if you could foster her, but as Aly says, letting go can be heartwrenching, so you need to be prepared for that. Same for the expenses...depends on the rescue group; that's something you'll need to ask when you contact the current caretaker. Ditto to how she does alone in the house...crates well, good with free run of house, etc. My rescue group does cover the cost of medical expenses, but not food, general supplies. I wish you and this precious girl all the best! Paws crossed! And bless you for considering fostering!

shutterbug0303
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks a million for the input.

I think she is in a foster home now, but she needs to leave from it...by adoption or foster (I think). That is what I was getting from the information I've been following. I emailed them so we'll see what they say about her.

I will definitely ask the rescue about the costs they cover. I am totally ok with supplies and food and such...and just want to be prepared if I do need to cover vet as well. And great idea about asking my vet if they discount for fosters. I will check into that too. If I can't foster her, I know there are tons more babies out there that could use my help.

Ginger's Mom
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Fostering is very rewarding. Ginger and I have fostered on occasion. Now, we go through a rescue agency, we didn't do it on our own. But a few basics, we were not responsible for vet bills that was picked up by rescue. But all daily living expenses, food, toys, chew-chews were up to us to pay for. As long as your dogs are willing to have a newcomer in the house it is a wonderful experience. There will be some initial adjustment, and she may even pee in your house (even with housebroken dogs) the first day or two until she gets settled. But dogs are smart, especially if there is another dog around that is willing to show them the rules of the house, and after about three days everyone will be somewhat comfortable with each other.

Although I have grown attached to some of the dogs we have fostered (two in particular), it wasn't as hard as you may think to let them go to their (hopefully) forever homes. I knew all along that I would not be keeping the foster, so there was that mindset to begin with (I live in a condo and work all day, it just wouldn't work out-and I especially did not want to walk two dogs on leashes three times a day in the snow-so we take in foster dogs on occasion from April through October :) ). But you have to honestly believe that you are sending them to a situation/home that would be better for them than you could give (for whatever reason) and certainly better than what they came from. I personally like doing rescue because I feel we can help more dogs than if I were just to decide to adopt another dog, and that influx of a new personality every now and then sure does keep you on your toes :) ).

As to your question as to whether she would be okay alone all day. What do you mean? She shouldn't have run of your house until everyone understands each other better. No dog should have run of the house until you are sure they won't do anything that could injure themselves when you aren't there. Would you crate her? Being that she is two years old, she should be okay in the crate. Any idea if she is noisy or suffers from seperation anxiety? (I guess I should have read her write-up before I tried to answer this.) Because of course you don't want her to upset your dogs.

I am not sure what this dog's background is, but is she is a cutie. I wish you luck in your decision making process. Just as a general statement, I would say that fostering is great and I would recommend it, but it is a commitment that may last two to three months. I am sure she would be a very lucky girl if you were to decide to help her out for a while. And I think that when the time comes for her to go to her forever home, you will feel more good about what you have shared with her, than bad about losing her.

I don't know if that helped. But in any case, good luck and please keep us informed of your decision. :)