PDA

View Full Version : Baby of the Day?

gini
07-28-2001, 02:22 PM
This morning as I logged on to check out each Pet of the Day, I laughed. If this site was called "Baby of the Day" instead of Pet of the Day - how many of us would be visiting? Would we respond to each one and say "Oh, how adorable" or go on about their hair, their eyes, their baby fat? When we heard about a "rescue" (adoption) would we congratulate the owners (parents?

I love kids and have two small nieces that I love to pieces. But nothing warms my heart more than seeing everyone's special pet and hearing their stories. When Jasper was missing I was right there - keeping up with each tidbit of news and shouted out loud when I saw that Jasper WAS HOME! When Bella needed our prayers and donations I did my part. Thanks everyone for sharing your pets - they sure make my day! :) :) :)

4 feline house
07-28-2001, 05:33 PM
Gini-

I have pondered this very thing myself.

Even tho I have a kid, I don't like kids and especially don't like babies. There are few babies that I would find "cute". Kids don't interest me until they're at least 10, teens is even better. The only exceptions are the really intelligent, well mannered kids. I have never understood this drive by some people to have kids at any and all cost, even if it means having a "litter" or even if you already have one, two, or even more kids.

This is certainly not to imply that I feel no compassion for ill, abandoned or abused kids - I do. My son lost three friends this past school year to foolish accidents and suicides, and I cried and grieved as much as I cried and grieved over every Pet Talker's losses.

But any animal, especially baby ones, and especially cats, is cute to me (well - maybe except chimpanzees and gorillas!). I want to hear all about their lives, their quirks, their habits. The only things that limit the number that I have are my budget and my living space (which, of course, is a function of my budget!) The only difference between me and the fertility drug poppers is the fact that instead of making more kitties, I'm taking in the ones that someone else allowed to be made (although, in my prejudiced mind, that is an important difference).

So yes, Gini, I'll pass on the hypothetical "Baby of the Day" site and leave it to all the mother-instinct types to drool over. Give me the cute kitties to ooh and aah over any day! Maybe that means there's something wrong with me - I don't care! It's just they way I am! :D

aly
07-28-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:
<STRONG>

The only difference between me and the fertility drug poppers is the fact that instead of making more kitties, I'm taking in the ones that someone else allowed to be made (although, in my prejudiced mind, that is an important difference).

</STRONG>

It IS such an important difference, Leah! I don't know what the world would be without people like you. I can't thank you enough for offering to help so much with Julius :)

As far as the babies are concerned, I looove human babies AND animal babies. I want to someday have a lot of kids. All my friends keep telling me I'm never going to get married though because I spend every waking moment with so many animals and don't do the usual '22 year old' stuff. Oh well, I'm happy this way :)

alexnell
07-29-2001, 03:02 AM
4 Feline House--

I congratulate you on helping cats in need. I wish there were more people willing to give their time and effort. I'm very hurt by your comment about "fertility pill poppers", though. You have had the experience of giving birth to a child, please don't put down those of us who wish to do the same.

tatsxxx11
07-29-2001, 07:00 AM
I remember last year, when I first joined Pet Talk, there was a very long thread on this very topic! Matter of fact, I think I started it?? I was wondering the same thing gini.....As much as I love babies and children, was I alone in my feelings that there is something that just strikes an incredibly emotional cord in my heart when it comes to seeing or hearing about the suffering or neglect of animals; or the joy of rescue and adoption, etc. And while I love to say hi and greet my friends' human kids, it's the 4 legged kind that I will actually chase down to greet and get the scoop on! My love and passion for animals is not greater than that for my fellow human, it's just different; but equally as strong. Maybe Logan or Rachel remembers the thread. It must be in here somewhere. It would be interesting to go back and re-read our responses!! I know many of us felt the same way.

Pam
07-29-2001, 07:23 AM
I don't think a fair comparison can be made between the love of a child and the love of a pet. While I absolutely adore and dote on my animals and love them passionately, my children are my most precious gems. That being said, I agree that I wouldn't be drawn to a Baby of the Day site. I have shared my entire life with pets, and there's just something about talking about a pet and sharing stories with other pet owners that is much more fun! Don't know if I'm explaining myself very well.....

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

4 feline house
07-29-2001, 11:59 AM
Alexnell, I'm sorry I caused offense. I certainly didn't mean to. I admit I do not have a mother instinct, that urge to have a child at any cost, but I also admit that I am in the vast minority. I used a poor choice of words to express this oddity in me. I am very sorry.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-29-2001, 04:11 PM
As a Grandmother who has raised her children to see them have families of their own and taking care of a Grandson most of his life, walking him to school and back home again for 6 years then keeping him afterschool and getting him snacks through high school, and watching two other Grandsons grow and play basketball and tether ball etc. with them.
Would I love to see a "Baby of the day" instead of "Dog of the Day".?
Not at all, I am happy to be included in this board talking about animals, mostly dogs of course. I suppose some people may take offense to this but my dogs have more manners, are more loving and care about us more than many of the children I see out there with their parents. In my day the kids did not run around and scream in restaurants, tell their parents to shut up,
I guess I could go on and on. I know that it is not always the kids fault, mostly parents who have kids but do not want to take the responsibility to bring them up right.
I guess I'm old fashioned in my thinking, but yes give me the "Pet of the Day" anytime, all the pets I have seen here are so happy to have a loving home of their own and give unconditional love to their family.

gini
07-29-2001, 09:16 PM
Wow, this is my 200th post. But I look up at the earlier posts and guess I am really far behind many of you.

I think we all need to be careful when we read each others responses. It is my feeling that no one here (at least the regulars) ever mean to offend anyone with their opinion. It is just that - their opinion.

Today was such a good example for me of what I mean by Baby of the Day. I was invited to an afternoon adult birthday party. We celebrated all of the July birthdays in one afternoon. The host and hostess have a beautiful cat (Rocky) and a wonderful little dog, Chablis. One of the very first things I wanted to do was see their cat and dog. It is just a natural instinct for me. And as each of them tolerated a stranger petting them I felt better because of this encounter.
If it had been a baby - would that baby have brought out the response in me that the dog and cat did. The answer is no........and again I will say that I have a six month old and six year old niece that I spend a lot of time with and love dearly.

What I mean is that I have a passion for animals - they never fail to stir something special in my heart. And I have had it all of my life and never had any pets as a child.
So my pets in my adult life have been extra special to me - especially my cats.

And Jackiesdaisy - I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was raised with "the look"
and it had bite and consequences if you ignored "the look." Today you can't even get the kids eye let alone give "the look."

4 feline house
07-29-2001, 10:14 PM
Can you believe this very evening at church, I was approached by the youth minister's wife about working in the church nursery? I tried to explain to her I was definitely not a "kid person", so much so that the parents would probably not want me in the nursery! I went on to say "I know I have a kid, but I've never liked them, I don't know how to explain...." - I didn't want the church to think I was just trying to shirk my responsibility of service by making up some lame excuse. She stopped me and said I didn't have to explain, she knew exactly how I felt because she was the same way (she has two)! She agreed with me that it's different when you have your own (sadly, not for some people). I couldn't help but think of this topic!

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: 4 feline house ]

Daisy's Mom
07-30-2001, 01:28 AM
Sandra, I remember that thread, and I agree with it. I love human babies; I think they are the sweetest little things! But, well... to me, most of them look a lot alike, especially when they are really young, so Baby of the Day wouldn't be too exciting! Pets, on the other hand, look different and act dfferent. The bios on Baby of the Day wouldn't be very different: "My baby ejoys napping and eating and crying." Babies can't really do much else! Don't me wrong, I love babies! I guess I can't explain why Baby of the Day wouldn't interest me... oh well... you all know what I'm trying to say :)

Gio
07-30-2001, 04:51 AM
I don't want and never wanted children of my own so I would not visit a site dedicated to children. When colleagues bring their kids in the office I don't get exited as some of my fellow colleagues do. I suppose I'm not the maternal type when it comes to human babies. Having said that, I do enjoy the time I spend with my friends' children and I do get on with well mannered kids what I really don't like is what I call spoiled brats (mainly thanks to bad upbringing). But I'm much more attracted to animals and I know a lot of people think I'm strange but who cares that's the way I feel. The funny thing is that it runs in the family, one of my sisters feels the same, even my father says he does not have any time for grandchildren unless they are the 4 legged type.

delidog
07-30-2001, 07:34 AM
to the 4 feline house... i could not agree with you more....i have never once in my life looked at a baby carraige and ever once wanted to look at the martian inside with the really fowl odor....puppies,kitties,horses,anything with 4 legs,head and tail,...those who have no voice....there is nothing wrong with redirecting our motherly instincts to items other than the 2 leggers....there are plenty of people in this world who go to great lengths to have children and then end up either physically or emotionally abusing them....or how about the ones who keep reproducing while living in a one room apt. on times square and living off of welfare and food stamps...our tax dollars pay for them...i would rather donate my money to an animal shelter...also, i understand you not wanting to hold chimps....too human like..deli dog :)

alexnell
07-30-2001, 07:36 AM
4felinehouse, I reread your post and I understand now. :) I'm just kinda touchy sometimes, sorry bout that. :o

BTW, I wouldn't touch a Baby of the Day site with a ten foot pole. Even though I want kids of my own, I have no desire to look at anyone else's. Give me fur, fins, feathers, or scales anyday.

Eudora
07-30-2001, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
<STRONG>As a Grandmother who has raised her children to see them have families of their own and taking care of a Grandson most of his life, walking him to school and back home again for 6 years then keeping him afterschool and getting him snacks through high school, and watching two other Grandsons grow and play basketball and tether ball etc. with them.
Would I love to see a "Baby of the day" instead of "Dog of the Day".?
Not at all, I am happy to be included in this board talking about animals, mostly dogs of course. I suppose some people may take offense to this but my dogs have more manners, are more loving and care about us more than many of the children I see out there with their parents. In my day the kids did not run around and scream in restaurants, tell their parents to shut up,
I guess I could go on and on. I know that it is not always the kids fault, mostly parents who have kids but do not want to take the responsibility to bring them up right.
I guess I'm old fashioned in my thinking, but yes give me the "Pet of the Day" anytime, all the pets I have seen here are so happy to have a loving home of their own and give unconditional love to their family.</STRONG>

You know, jackiesdaisy, I think you just gave your age away!! And this Baby of the Day topic, couldn't it mean that there is a different baby animal of the day everyday? Just an idea, Karen and Paul!

jackiesdaisy1935
07-30-2001, 09:43 AM
Hi Eudora, I think everyone on this post pretty well knows I'm in the twilight of my life and enjoying it with my dogs.
In my day if you didn't have children people looked down on you like you mean you don't want to produce a child in your image.
Thank goodness today we really do have a choice, we can have children or we can have pets or we can choose not to have anything.
One of my daughters is married, is 35 and chooses to have two Schnauzers and no kids.
I respect that decision. I thought the idea of having pet baby of the day was already brought up. Maybe not. I love reading these posts and knowing everyone can make up their own mind and that society can not put pressure on these young women to go against their own wishes.
Jackie

Logan
07-30-2001, 10:12 AM
I don't remember the original topic that Sandra mentioned. But as the mother of a wonderful human girl, and many furry ones, I will tell you that I may not always understand, but always will respect the decisions of others and their aversion to "human" kids. And I feel the deepest sympathy for those who simply aren't able to have them. Everyone is different, and I'm all for people being able to decide for themselves whether to have children or not. And I fully support whatever scientific methods that allow people to be able to have a family they desire, as long as it is handled responsibly and for the right reasons. Don't even get me started on choosing a sex, etc. I do not agree with those measures.

This world is full of bad parents, parents of human kids and the furry ones, and thank goodness, there are more good ones than bad. It is unfortunate that we hear so much more about the bad ones. That's why I like to come here. Because each of you is here for the same reason I am. You love animals.

I am completely sure that I would NOT enjoy a Baby of the Day, unless it was a kitten, puppy or another infant animal. I am totally opposed to those "baby beauty pageants" and anything people do to flaunt their kids. I love my girl, without a doubt, and if my circumstances had been different, I'd have had a couple more. Each stage of their little lives is different, but so much fun. I loved cuddling my infant, but get a huge kick out of watching her play basketball, swim, etc. now.

Thanks for an insiteful topic. And for the freedom for each of us to be able to express our opinions and show respect for each other's opinion.

Logan

thelmalu99
07-30-2001, 01:47 PM
I just saw this topic, and it happens to be one that I have very strong feelings about. I like children very much, but I prefer not to be around children who are not well behaved and polite. I don't blame the children at all; I blame the parents for the lack of discipline. I agree with Jackie, children should not be allowed to run around and scream in restaurants, laundromats, supermarkets(!) or any other inappropriate places. They need to be taught that certain behavior is for the playground only.
I worked in a children's clothing/furniture/toy store for seven years and saw my share of children who yelled at their parents, told them to shut up, had unbelieveable tantrums and sometimes even hit or kicked their parents. My mother would never have stood for that kind of behavior! Sometimes the parents would go ahead and buy them a toy just to get them to settle down! That's like rewarding them for misbehaving!No wonder the kids acted that way!
I am 30 years old and I am pretty sure that being a parent is not for me...and I think that's ok because not everyone has to be a parent. Some friends, family and co-workers are always asking when I plan to get married and have a child. The fact is, I don't know when or if ever. It is possible that I will change my mind later on, but for now I just don't feel that it's for me.
Give me my pets any day! :D
I don't think that a baby of the day website would hold my interest for too long, but I have been spending a lot of time online looking for a shelter to adopt a new kitty from!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-30-2001, 02:32 PM
I love human babies; I think they are the sweetest little things! But, well... to me, most of them look a lot alike, especially when they are really young, so Baby of the Day wouldn't be too exciting! Pets, on the other hand, look different and act dfferent. The bios on Baby of the Day wouldn't be very different: "My baby ejoys napping and eating and crying." Babies can't really do much else! Don't me wrong, I love babies! I guess I can't explain why Baby of the Day wouldn't interest me... oh well... you all know what I'm trying to say

This is my thoughts exactly! I love babies, and want to go through the process of bearing and delivering my own children someday sooner rather than later. I must have a strong mommy drive to go along with my doggie love, because I would not know who to coddle first if I was approached by someone with both a baby and a puppy. I have to say though, I think the puppy would hold my attention longer. a dog, at the same age as a baby, has more personality than the baby! Even an eight week old pup is full of character!
On a related note, my husband and I get alot of criticism because we have rescued four dogs and we dedicate alot of time and energy to rescue groups and other dog-related projects. People will ask us why we don't direct more of our time towards human-related charities.
I guess I feel that God put us all here, human and animal, and we all have to look out for each other. Man domesticated dog thousands of years ago, and I feel that it is our duty as a society to care for these domesticated animals that we have created! Anyhow, that it just my two cents...
(And, someday, we hope to "rescue" humans too - through adopting children :) )

thelmalu99
07-30-2001, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 3-greys-and-a-mutt:
<STRONG>

On a related note, my husband and I get alot of criticism because we have rescued four dogs and we dedicate alot of time and energy to rescue groups and other dog-related projects. People will ask us why we don't direct more of our time towards human-related charities.
</STRONG>

LOL, you know what? Everytime I watch one of those game shows when celebrities are on playing for their favorite charities, I always root for the celebrity who's playing for an animal charity. It's not that I don't care about people, I just think that there are a lot more people giving to human-related charities than to animal-related ones. Not enough people in this world understand that animals deserve our love and respect too.

4 feline house
07-30-2001, 03:41 PM
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but one of the reasons I tend to give to animal charities instead of people (I give to both when my stretched budget allows, but admit more goes to the animals) is becuase in alot of cases - I KNOW NOT ALL - the human's problems are brought on by themselves. I help homeless people in whatever small ways I can (food drives, unused clothing, next weekend I'm helping to paint the local emergency charity's new building) but as I'm doing it, it's always in the back of my mind that alot - NOT ALL I KNOW - of these people are homeless because of their choice to indulge in drugs, alcohol, crime, etc. I'm not being judgemental - none of us are perfect - but that thought is still there. I know there are other causes of homelessness - illness, forced unemployment, spousal abuse or abandonment, but if you work in homeless ministry, you know that the major reasons are crime, alcohol and drug abuse.

However, I have never heard of a cat getting kicked out because it couldn't pay the rent because the money was all going to catnip. I have never heard of a dog's wife and kids living on the street because he's locked up for burglary. I have yet to see a ferret passed out on the sidewalk with an empty liquor bottle in his paw.

We domesticated these animals, who are sinless, and took away their natural population growth limits, yet did not adequately take steps to impose artificial limits - neutering and spaying. Now they are paying for our sins of selfishness, procrastination, and just plain meanness in alot of cases. The animals need more help because collectively they are more helpless. Furthermore, they can't very well get jobs and start running their own homeless shelters. They can't get driver's licenses and start van pools to get everyone to the vet for shots and spays and neuters.

Anyway, I just realized I'm way off topic, so I'll get off my soapbox now.

TheAntiPam
07-30-2001, 11:28 PM
This is such an interesting discussion, thanks all!

A few years ago, I lived in a house with friends that had a baby (human), and I had 2 cats. It never ceased to amaze me how I always noticed the smell of the diaper pail, while they kept commenting on the smell of the litterbox. It just depends on if it is YOUR baby!

We should honor each other for giving love, not judge each other for who/what we love.

And, we should keep the litterboxes clean! ;) ;) ;)

Pam
07-31-2001, 06:16 AM
Bridget you make a good point. Dogs and cats are way ahead of their human counterparts in the activity area at a much younger age. Human babies don't do very much at all early on. Also, lots of parents have such a tendency to brag to the point of boredom. :rolleyes: It is almost painful sometimes to have to sit and listen to some parents ramble on and on about their little one's accomplishments. While us pet owners may do a little bragging of our own, we don't hesitate to tell those "nawtee dog" tales and report on our cats' mischevious antics and often those are the stories that make me smile the most! :)

jackiesdaisy1935
07-31-2001, 09:53 AM
Pam, you made a very good point there, after listening politely about how many bottles they take in a day, how many times they smiled, when they go back to the doctor, etc it gets a little boring. On the other hand I love to listen to the stories of all our pets here, it is something different every day and most are amusing. Maybe when you get older after having your own kids grown up and starting over in a way with your grandkids, babysitting, in my case I took care of one Grandson from day one while his parents worked and even in high school comes over for his afternoon snack, your ready for something new in your life. On a more amusing note, my husband said to me one day "Jackie, look around, all we have are photos of our dogs on the walls", I said "No Don, there is one up there of the Grankids alltogether in this room". :D :D :D

gini
07-31-2001, 11:00 AM
Yesterday, they had a poll on CNN. Do we think children are more spoiled today than they were ten years ago? I have forgotten the percentage - but it was something like 89% agreed.

But it made me think about our pets. Are they more spoiled today than they were ten years ago. And then I started thinking about all of the types of food available (at prices beyond description) - lite, senior, kitten, puppy etc. And ten years ago did we see so many large pet shops with more pet toys than Toys R Us. And haven't we made giant strides in the veterinarian department.

My niece is training her pit bull/terrior puppy. Her final test was to be in a large pet shop among all of the people, children, toys and other pets - and sit - stay. Bella passed with flying colors. Do you think you could get a small child to do that for very long? But pets are different because they really do want to please you - and get the treat for good behavior.

At my small niece's school - they have a board and you get a big check mark for being caught - "being good" When you get so many check marks - you get to choose a prize. I thought that was a clever approach.

AdoreMyDogs
07-31-2001, 11:52 AM
In the past 10 years I think dogs are thought of more as family members, as opposed to just family pets. I do know that there are big advances in dog nutrition, and medical care. I think nowadays dogs are charished more and included in day trips and vacations far more often, making more and more hotels and B&B's welcome doggie travelers with open paws . I like it :)

As for a baby of the day website....it would be cute at first but I would get bored with it quickly I think. I think babies are great, and at some point I will be ready to have a family of my own, but I think dog pictures are more fun and interesting to share then baby pictures. Baby pictures seem like something that family members love to share among each other, while dog pictures could be shared and enjoyed by people whom you have no relation to whatsoever from all around the world. Now pictues of dogs with babies...those are the PERFECT pictures :D That pic of the basset licking that beautiful baby boy's face lovingly...that is priceless, and I wouldn't mind visiting a site that had pics of dogs with babies or kids together :)

4 feline house
07-31-2001, 12:30 PM
Well, it's not exactly baby of the day, but.... http://www.babiesonline.com/

I wonder what the responses would be if someone posted a topic "what if it was pets on line.com?" on their message board?

aly
07-31-2001, 01:23 PM
Awww, I think that baby site is CUTE.

I think Baby of the Day might be more fun than you guys think. There are a ton of different poses and outfits possible. It would be especially cute to include toddlers. I just have to post this pic of my cousin's darling baby, Kali.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/aY/22/vV/cu62817.jpg

gini
07-31-2001, 02:05 PM
Oh Oh, Aly, now you have done it. Your cousin's baby is adorable!

Will opinions change? Karen and Paul may have to add - Baby of the Day - but only if there is a picture of a pet with the child.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-31-2001, 03:01 PM
Aly, your cousin's baby is adorable no doubt about that, I guess you could pose them with different props to make them look different, but I will have to stick with dogs, look how many different dogs there are, I have two Schnauzers and I have just begun to see how many dogs I have never even heard of before,
and I want to see what they look like. I look at Daisy who is a pure bred Schnauzer and I realize that she most likely came from an Affenpinscher and a Poodle and either the Standard or Giant Schnauzer. Look at the mixed breed dogs, many mixes and so beautiful. We can look at dogs for the rest of our lives and they will all be different.
For instance I never knew there were so many different cats until I joined this site, pets for that matter too.. No I think I will stick with Pet of the Day, Cat of the Day and Dog of the Day. :D
Jackie

alexnell
08-02-2001, 08:27 AM
How about Wild Animal of the Day? Lions, tigers, and bears, oh, my!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-02-2001, 09:34 AM
That would be good, maybe we could learn about animals that we never knew existed.
Jackie

Logan
08-02-2001, 11:01 AM
You guys must stop!! LOL! I already spend way too much time here!!! And poor Sandra would have to post a message to that one everyday too! Star and Cody, and the rest of her gang would never get any loving!! LOL!!

Pam
08-02-2001, 11:18 AM
You guys have me laughing out loud, especially you Spencer! What a hoot! :D

cr7clark
08-02-2001, 11:44 AM
I think it's a privilege to have a baby; it's a privilege to have a pet. When people know and understand this, then babies and pets are raised and loved the way they should be. When people think that having babies and/or pets is a right, then all kinds of poor nurturing choices are made and the babies/pets become abused, abandoned, etc. When folks see having kids and pets as a privilege, they assume much more responsibility for them than if they perceive having them as a right; maybe this is because humand tend to take their rights for granted a lot more than they do their privileges. People who take their privileges for granted are the ones I'd like to "smack upside the head" for they are usually spoiled.
Anyway, I wouldn't want to see a "Baby of the Day" site; pets are far more interesting! I don't have children because my husband and I prayed diligently about this decision prior to our marriage and we believe God did not place the desire or inclination to have children in our hearts. So we took the appropriate birth control measures, and after 22 years we have not regretted our decision one bit. (even though I took some heat from my family for not having children). Having said this, I have a lot of respect for people who have kids and love them and raise them. It takes courage to do this in todays' society! I don't much like working in the church nursery either, but I do it occasionally to keep myself in touch with young people.
Thanks for listening! :)

gini
08-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Gosh, I can hardly wait! Let's see now, do I want to read about potty training or litter box problems. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
<STRONG>...remember, there would be a: Baby Health (Diapers, Potty Training...)
Baby Behavior (Terrible 2s, Breaking Things, Crying at 2 am...)
Baby Games (Barney, Semese St, Teletubbies...)

It just does not seem as upbeat as the usual discussions. Are you ready for that?</STRONG>

4 feline house
08-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Bosmom - Amen to everything you said!

Karen
08-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Okay, folks, remeber, this is a friendly place, so lets not make judgments on people who do or don't have children or pets, no matter their financial or educational status.
And the Baby of the Day discussion is a little moot anyway - we don't own the domain name, somebody else does!

And frankly, with human children, there would be far more worries about security, and fears of stalking, etc., that we just don't have to worry about with pets. What people do to people is often far scarier than what people do (however sad) :( to animals. What a strange world we live in.

But hey, we have Pet of the Day and Pet Talk! And some day .... Pettalkville! :) Rejoice! Be glad - and go hug a furred, feathered or scaled friend! ;)

Logan
08-02-2001, 06:12 PM
Well said, Karen. This wouldn't be a very interesting world if we all thought the same way, would it?

So glad you're all here and that every single one of you loves your pets the way I do!

Logan

gini
08-02-2001, 07:34 PM
Frankly, when I opened this topic my intent was a lighthearted one. I thought at most it would receive one or two replies.

I was surprised when I saw how rapidly it became very personal and I was sorry that it was bringing out such responses.

THE END.......Gini

Ila
08-10-2001, 11:11 PM
I have my pet Misty of almost 5 years, she is my baby cat. We never could have children and our pets were our children. I lost Samantha at 14.5 years old black & white cat. Loosing her was tough. We don't think we could have been more in sorrow if she was a human baby. I still go to her grave after 5 years and cry. To me pet of the day is great. ;)

alexnell
08-16-2001, 04:08 AM
Uh, Spencer, the guy on the TV show was Al bundy. Ted Bundy was a serial killer. ;)

cr7clark
08-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Spencer, please don't think that there is no hope for you romantically. I met my husband when he was 36 years old and we didn't get married until he was 39, and this is the first marriage for both of us (hopefully the only one!). When we met, neither of us were "looking" for a partner. There is a sizable age difference between us, but that didn't prevent us from realizing that we had a great deal in common, including a love for animals, especially cats. You sound like a really nice guy, helpful and caring. Just be yourself and hang tight, your time will come so long as you realize that both partners in a relationship need to give to each other instead of expecting to receive all the time.
:)

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 03:19 PM
Spencer,

I love your OOPS! I would have writen Ted Bundy as well...hee hee!!! :)

Anyway, you will find someone, all in God's timing. You never know when, but things in life seems to happen when we least expect it... :D