PDA

View Full Version : Visa Gift Cards

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Has anyone used these? I'm just curious if the fees they tell you about up front are really all the fees that apply.

I'm thinking about getting one of these with the money we raised for Randi. They're telling me it would not cost me anything, there would be an "initiation" fee of $4.95 and then they would only charge a 1% conversion fee everytime she uses it - but on $1,000.00, that would only add up to a $10.00 fee! So it all seems to easy and too cheap which makes me think I'm missing something here......

Oh, and Randi would use it just like a pre-paid credit card....

Any ideas on this?

jazzcat
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't know how they work but if it's like you said then it sounds like a great idea!

So is the 1% conversion fee just applied to whatever amount she spends each time? I would think it would be but just making sure.

Logan
03-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Debbie, when I have purchased them in the past, they usually charge you a fee, upfront, and there are no other fees attached to it. Perhaps buying it in American dollars and having to convert it to another currency is the hitch. They do have very short expiration dates, though (like 1 year) and then they start eating into the balance. That part is a rip off, for sure! The best place that I have found to purchase them is at our Mall. They can be used anywhere, and they give it to you, immediately. I'm sure there are other outlets as well. I once purchased one as a gift for a Pet Talk friend, but got it at a convenience store. After paying cash for it, they gave me a receipt with a number to call to order the card and have it mailed. And then they wouldn't let me do it. She had to call herself. Boy, was I embarassed!!!! :o To tell you the truth, I don't know if she ever got that thing and used it. :(

Cinder & Smoke
03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Not so sure about the Gift Card idea... :confused:

Not only the risks of foreign currency fees;
but the danger of Theft or Loss -

most of those cards have NO theft prevention features -
whoever HAS the card is considered the "owner".

To my way of thinking, it's like carrying a $1,000 dollar bill -
to risky for me in public.

And some of the cards DO start charging for "lack of use" after
a year - I read the fine print on one proposal that deducted
$5.00 per Month after the first 12 months. :mad:

/s/ Phred

lute
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
i have a visa gift card. i like it! you can use it pretty much everywhere. i think you can recharge it too.