PDA

View Full Version : Steve Fossett.

RICHARD
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Fosset just flew, by himself, around the world, nonstop.
It took him 67 hours....

Not bad for a guy who really hasn't done much with his life....

http://www.fossettchallenge.com/html/main_pages/records.html

;)

Congratulations!!!

cookieluver7
03-07-2005, 05:23 PM
W:eek:W!!! That's amazing!! :D

RICHARD
03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by cookieluver7
W:eek:W!!! That's amazing!! :D

I wonder what he puts down as a job....

Adventurer? Sailor? Pilot? World Record Holder?

LOL,

I guess there is hope for people who don't have a regular job...
:D

RICHARD
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Looks like they found the wreckage of his plane in the mountains of California.

:(

Kirsten
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Just read the news.

I guess it's actually a relief for his family to know what has happened. :( Not to know must have been awful. The article I read said that his wife/widow is hoping they'll find his body, so she can bury him...

Kirsten

RICHARD
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Just read the news.

I guess it's actually a relief for his family to know what has happened. :( Not to know must have been awful. The article I read said that his wife/widow is hoping they'll find his body, so she can bury him...

Kirsten

Yeah.

I love men with stories like his. Richard Branson, Felix Baumgartner, Dick Rutan and Will Steger. All are athletes, explorers, gamblers and the last set of crazy people who see things that haven't been done and then do them.

I was sad when Sir Edmund Hillary died.

Now it's for money, fame and noteriety.

God bless him and his family!:(

smokey the elder
10-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Even though he was declared legally dead in February, it's good in a way that the wreckage was found so his family knows for sure what happened.

I think an angel must have led the hiker to that spot, in order for the family to receive some comfort and closure.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Human remains found at Fossett crash site

Fri Oct 3, 2:45 AM

By Jim Christie

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Crash site investigators found human remains amid the wreckage of Steve Fossett's small plane on a remote California mountain, the chief of the National Transportation Safety Board said on Thursday.

Parts of the small plane lost more than a year ago were scattered over a large debris field at around 10,000 feet on a mountain near the Nevada border, and search crews found a "very small" amount of human remains, Mark Rosenker, acting NTSB chairman, told Reuters by telephone.

"Did we find some? Yes, a very, very small amount," Rosenker said.

Fossett, 63, vanished after taking off in a single-engine Bellanca Citabria Super Decathlon on September 3, 2007, from the airstrip of hotel magnate Barron Hilton's ranch in Nevada, sparking a long but fruitless search.

The finding of human remains may close months of debate over whether the millionaire adventurer actually died, although Rosenker said local officials would be responsible for examining the remains.

"It will be taken by the sheriff and the coroner and they will do the work," Rosenker said.

A local sheriff's official said a bone had been found at the crash site but declined to say if it was human or animal.

Rosenker at an earlier news conference noted that a judge had declared Fossett dead.

"Our job is to determine what happened on the mountain," he said. "Given the length of time that wreckage has been there it is not surprising to come into a debris field and not find a lot of human remains."

CLUES CAME SUDDENLY

Clues to Fossett's disappearance came suddenly this week when a hiker not far from Yosemite National Park found identification cards and cash, prompting a full-on search that uncovered the crash site.

Investigators confirmed on Thursday the small plane was the one in which Fossett took off a year ago.

Parts of the aircraft were scattered over a swath of mountain 150 feet wide by almost 400 feet long. A helicopter ferried investigators close to the site and will be used to haul away pieces of the plane on Friday -- before a snow storm sweeps in.

Despite weeks of extensive land and air searches after Fossett disappeared last year, no wreckage was found, and he was declared legally dead in February after investigators concluded his plane was destroyed in a fatal accident.

Even before Thursday, family and friends took the week's events as an end to the saga.

"The uncertainty surrounding my husband's death over this past year has created a very difficult situation for me," said his widow, Peggy Fossett. "I hope now to be able to bring to closure a very painful chapter in my life."

"Now that the plane has been found we can finally bring closure to Steve's wonderful life," Richard Branson, Virgin Group founder and Fossett's friend, said in London.

"The frivolous stories can also be put to rest and family, friends and the rest of the world can now pay tribute to a truly great and extraordinary man," Branson said.

(Reporting by Jim Christie, Jackie Frank, John Crawley and Peter Henderson; editing by Patricia Zengerle)

(For full coverage see the Reuters Web site:http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/stevefossett)