PDA

View Full Version : Financial donations

Dixieland Dancer
10-31-2001, 10:45 AM
I guess it is my turn to vent a little! I am soooo sick of all the concerts and everything else that has been going on since September 11th to raise money. Please don't get me wrong, I was for it originally but it has gotten out of hand! :mad:

To date they have raised over 1 Billion dollars! There are stories of the Red Cross using some of this money to upgrade their facilities and communications. They can't account for some of it. Directors have been fired and accountability is getting harder to track.

Meanwhile some other worthwhile causes are getting forgotten. Pepper brought to our attention the Little Shelter animal adoption center in N.Y that may have to close their doors for the first time in it's 76 year history! There are others hurting badly too! Should they be forgotten just because their story isn't as "worthwhile"? :confused: :confused:

Now you can even go into stores like Home Depot or Lowes (many others too) and have your donation made there. When have you ever been able to donate at a store for any other cause?

I'm not sure if these feelings are justified or not. Please give me your opinions! I don't want the families of victims from September 11th to be slighted but I don't was other worth while causes to get forgotten either! :confused: :confused: :confused:

pepper636
10-31-2001, 10:56 AM
I agree. I see the September 11 fund is under the direction of United Way. I used to be a contributor to United Way until two of its directors were accused of embezzling money.

I would rather give to the animal organizations. I know these people went through a tremendous loss on 09/11/2001. But from what I read, monetarily, the businesses in the WTC are still paying salaries to the families of the deceased. Cantor Fitzgerald who lost 700 employees initially said they could not afford to pay salaries, but now they have changed their tune and are paying salaries. How can these companies afford to pay salaries to people who are no longer there? I would think this would bankrupt them in no time at all.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-31-2001, 10:59 AM
I have noticed too that everyone, everywhere is promoting donations to The American Red Cross Sept. 11 Fund. It has gotten to the point, where, numerous United Way officials were pleading to the media for coverage during their recent annual fundraising campaign, because everyone was donating to the Red Cross and not having any money left to give to United Way. Since then, the United Way has joined forces with the Red Cross.
Not to be spiteful at all, but I am frankly wondering what that 1 billion is being used for? Just a bit confused about where the money is going. Many people are willing to throw money at a good cause, but who knows where the funds go? One of our local radio stations has collected over $700,000 for the Red Cross, but they never say what exactly that money will go towards.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

purrley
10-31-2001, 11:28 AM
This may sound terrible, but I only donate to the United Way through work because they make you feel so cheap if you don't. All my donations have and always will go to an animal organization. My animal fund bank, is a jar that receives a dollar or two every time I see an animal killed on the highway, hear or witness animal abuse of any kind or any other circumstance that causes trauma to animals. Unfortunately I usually have over a hundred dollars at the end of the year that gets donated to Best Friends and other animal organizations. Some day I hope my jar will be empty at the end of the year, then that $100 will go happily to my favorite organization which is Best Friends in Kanab, Utah.

kobieeli
10-31-2001, 11:42 AM
Ditto here, everyone! I now decline any fundraising pleas from the Red Cross and other Sept. 11th groups and focus on the numerous other people--and ANIMALS!--who have been forgotten. Unfortunately, I think the media knows that charity concerts, shop-a-thons, and other moneygrubbing tactics are still big news and they'll milk this for a few more months.

Former User
10-31-2001, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone, we agree with you totally...We're in Europe though, but still we can read all the time how starts are donating money for the victims etc. and 'everyone' forgets the other parties who need money too. :(

Albea
10-31-2001, 12:59 PM
For a long time now, all of my charitable donations go to animal rescue organizations. I lost count of how many I contribute to. Since learning of the six figure salaries that the CEOs of the Red Cross, United Way, etc. receive,I'm not willing to contribute to their wealth. The latest issues with the Red Cross, their unwillingness to share information with other organizations and the subsequent resignation of the Director, make me even more certain that whatever money I can donate will be put to better use helping homeless animals.
It makes me sick to think that places like The Little Shelter are at risk of closing their doors while the so called "charitable" institutions are squandering or misusing millions of dollars. :mad:

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2001, 01:15 PM
I guess I feel the need to expand on this a bit to... What happened on September 11 was a horrible tragedy painfully difficult to comprehend. My heart aches whenever I think about it. However, I have a life I need to lead, a job I need to do, a family I need to enjoy. Life does go. Living is the best revenge. I feel the media -- in the quest for ratings and dollars is making it very difficult. Surely there is news being made beyond this? (The tendency of the media to chase a "sexy" or emotional story? -- let's talk Gary Condit and the intern whose name many of us probably can't remember.) I realize the story is different on the East Coast but I do not know anyone who is afraid of anthrax. But the media BEFORE ANYTHING HAD EVEN HAPPENED was telling us we were scared into economic inactivity by fear of anthrax. Front page of Sunday's paper -- headline -- Many People Changing Travel Plans Due to Terrorism. When I read the article -- 24% said they'd change -- 74% said no change (2% undecided.) That headline SHOULD have read Vast Majority of People NOT Changing Travel Plans...

My rather rambling point is I believe the media is exacerbating the fears and emotions of the public and groups like the Red Cross (and for profits -- I heard a commercial - "If you love your family buy our dried food left over from when the media scared you silly about Y2K!") are reaping -- and I do mean reaping -- the benefits.

aly
10-31-2001, 01:54 PM
I donated to the Red Cross on Sept 13th because I was assuming it would go directly to the victims in NYC. After that, all my contributions went to Canine Search and Rescue groups, and shelters around the NYC area. I must say I felt a lot better donating to those because they are such smaller organizations and I was sure any penny would help them out.

I'm a full time student, and only just started working part time again last week. I don't have much money and it sickens me to hear this about the Red Cross when I thought my money was going to a good cause. From now on I go back to sticking with just animal charities.

4 feline house
10-31-2001, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry to say, I largely disdain charities. This is because of my personal experiences with them as a client several years ago when I was recovering from a critical illness and the subsequent financial difficulties it brought.

The larger and more national they are the less I trust them. Unfortunately, even some of the animal charities are on my "list". Most people don't realize that charities are accountable to absolutely no one. Many of them exist only to provide a salary for a group of people. After they pay their huge salaries to themselves, including credit card accounts for "expenses", car allowances, etc., there's only a fraction left for the people they have pledged to assist. If that! Some of them excuse themselves by saying that the only way to get good leadership is to pay a salary (as opposed to using all-volunteer labor), and a darn good one. Perhaps, but......

The local paper once did a study, comparing several charities, local and national, who were in the business of helping homeless people get back in homes, and preventing at-risk families from becoming homeless. A large, respected, local charity had the highest administrative salaries, the least amount of unpaid (volunteer) labor, paid its director more than any other similar charity, local or national, for which that information could be secured, had higher expenses per client served, had the least dollar amount spent directly on services per client served, and had the lowest success rate. On the other hand, the Salvation Army had the lowest salaries, the highest rate of volunteer labor, paid its local director less than any other local charity or local branch of a national charity, served the most people at the least cost, had the highest percentage of donations going directly to client services, and had the best success rate. Guess who gets my money? I have always trusted the Salvation Army. I also trust the Baptist Men (I think they may be just in Texas, though). The Red Cross? I first started hearing horror stories about them from my mom when I was still a little kid. And their names have always come up from time to time in the news each time a new scandal has come up. The United Way? A large chunk of their money goes to organizations I wouldn't even consider to be a "charity" - like the Boy Scouts, who happen to be the wealthiest non-profit organization in the country.

The begging that has been going on since 9/11 has also become quite unseemly to me, too. Billions of dollars have been given, yet there are still people in Manhattan going homeless. And I wonder about all the charities that are collecting for the "police and firefighters". I know an awful lot of our protectors lost their lives and more may be disabled, but actually their benevolent associations give them access to quite good benefits. If they were volunteer firefighters and reserve officers, that would be different. Very often the volunteers/reserves have no on-the-job death or accident benefits. But even so, how far do millions go divided between a few hundred families?

And, I know I'm painting with an awfully broad brush, but most of those "celebrtities" were more concerned with getting their CDs sold. "Oh, yeah, if I do this they'll think what a good guy I am and go out and buy my CD, see my movie, watch my TV show", etc. etc. etc.

And I agree with you, E's sec'y - the advertising pitches exploiting the tragedy are making me ill!

I can't imagine anybody not feeling grief and sadness, for our country, for our rescue workers, for the victims, and all the families affected. And most of us want to do whatever we can to provide whatever relief is needed.

But I think now that we've had time to think, America is starting to feel abused (from terrorists) and used (by greedy "charities").

Sorry to go on so.....

jackiesdaisy1935
10-31-2001, 08:47 PM
I agree with what everyone said, my money goes to "Best Friends Animal Sanctuary" and I also sent a donation to the "Little Shelter" and any animal rescue that needs help. I stopped giving to those BIG Charities a long time ago.
Jackie

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-01-2001, 08:23 AM
Wow! I thought I was the only one feeling that way and that I was such a horrible person for it. Excuse my language, but the public is getting screwed! it has turned into begging and the greed still continues. we all have lives to lead and there are other "tragedies" that need to be tended to. What happened on 9/11 was horrifying, but we have all done what we can do, why be so pushy? I donated blood to the RED Cross. That's what they are supposed to be for, right? United Way didn't get a dime from me. I sent donations to search and rescue groups and ASPCA.

There are other causes that need funding. Some people aren't into donating to animal causes; they feel organizations for causes dealing with humans are more worthy. I am not saying I agree, but some people are lick that. If so, fine, we are all entitled to our opinion and free to support various causes. What about the abused women and children causes? How about AIDS research? If people were not so easily influenced by the media. Billions of dollars being spent on what?

It's a shame! You know what is so crazy!

Dixieland Dancer
11-01-2001, 09:40 AM
I didn't expect so many people to agree with me. I kind of felt like I was alone in this too since everyone seems to be jumping on the band wagon to donate to the disaster relief fund! :confused: I expected some of you to tell me how off my rocker I actually was for not supporting the relief fund anymore. I too donated blood and gave money shortly after it happened.

I just want to say that their are agencies out there who are accountable financially. I am a sponsor of World Vision. For every dollar that goes to help underprivledged children, 87 cents goes to the child. That is an amazing percentage compared to some other charities. I also support the animal causes in our community. Pittsburghers are fighting to make all our shelters "NO KILL". A couple are already converted! :) I refuse to donate to United Way! And I give my time to the Boy Scouts of America as a Den leader. I do think this organization is worth it's weigh in gold in helping our young boys to grow with character. I think it is better to build boys than to mend men!

Thanks everyone for letting me know I am not alone in my frustration of other charities being forgotten in the aftermath of our Country's worst disaster ever! I thought I was being heartless. :(

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Dixieland Dancer ]

lbaker
11-01-2001, 06:14 PM
Allow me to add a little perspective here if I may. Although I live in a suburb of Washington D.C. I work just 3 blocks from the White House. On Sept 11 I watched from my top floor office window the smoke from the Pentagon roil into the sky. The city was evacuated and not trusting the subway system (rumors and fear of more bombs were rampant) we all started walking out of the city. No panic but everyone kept looking over their shoulder as if expecting Godzilla to appear. I too am leery of the "big" donation drives but Pepper, not all the affected are getting paid salaries - not the single mother waitress who relied on tips because there are no more patrons of the restaurant and no more tips. Not the shoe shine guy who worked at the Pentagon Metro stop that has no job now. These people aren't paid salary and don't even qualify for unemployment. Purrley - I too donate to United Way through work (only a little bit I can afford) but I chose a food bank and my local animal shelter. I have that choice and am thankful I do. Edwina's Secretary - maybe no one you know is afraid of Anthrax but people are dying of it in my town. The mail in my building goes through the Brentwood Post Office which has now been declared a "crime scene". We have had no mail delivered in 2 weeks. Bills I paid from the office 2 weeks ago have not been received and tourists are staying away in droves. I live, work and walk through my city every day and it will never be the same. Your points are all valid but not the only points that need to be made. OK, I'm off my soap box.

laurie

4 feline house
11-01-2001, 08:41 PM
lbaker, I think you are actually agreeing with us. I think what we are all saying is that too much of the money being donated is going either not where it is most needed or not where it was intended. The single mother who lost her waitressing job will probably NOT get any help and that is what is distressing us. Or if she does qualify for help, the red tape that so many of these charities require will delay it so long that it will do her no good - her landlord won't really care that she'll get a voucher for a portion of her rent in two months - that's what many, many of these assistance programs will tell you when you apply. She will need ALL of it in CASH and RIGHT NOW.

And Dixie, I wasn't meaning to imply the Boy Scouts aren't a fine organization.

Dixieland Dancer
11-02-2001, 09:46 AM
Laurie, I also think we all agree. The waitress and the shoe shine guy should be helped. But unfortanately they won't qualify because they were not a "Victim" of the WTC or Pentagon. With over 1 BILLION dollars being donated to date, isn't enough, enough. Why should all the other charities be forgotten? Some of them might be able to help the waitress and shoe shine guy but can't now because they have been financially forgotten because their cause isn't in the national headline.

I do think we should of responded after the tradgedy but how much is enough and who is being accountable. Do we even know for sure the families of the victims are getting the money. Do they all financially need it.

I think major organizations that are jumping on the band wagon now are doing so for profit and not for the good of the country. How wonderful that Lowes is a donation location for the disaster relief fund but what about the other funds that keep homeless people fed, orphans clothed, animals from being killed, and even waitresses and shoe shine guys from being evicted from their homes when they can't pay the rent!

GOD BLESS AMERICA - not just part of it but ALL of it.

Feline, no offense taken. I am passionate about the BSA because of all the other attacks on it over the past year or two and I do see the value it gives to many boys who otherwise would have no guidance given in their lives. We teach trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent (The Boy Scout law). All attributes I think any parent would want for their son!

cr7clark
11-02-2001, 11:35 AM
Ditto to everyone's comments about large charities!
I recommend (if I may do so humbly) that everyone give to LOCAL CHARITIES, like your local Boys and Girls Club, Lions Clubs, crisis pregnancy centers, and of course the local Humane Society. The Boys and Girls Club here in Aberdeen does a great job of finding mentors and food for neglected children. The local Lions Club (which I used to be a member of before I got ultra busy) paid thousands of dollars yearly out of their own pockets for needy persons to receive eye exams and glasses. We have a local crisis pregnancy center in town that does a marvelous job of counseling young women (and men!) in dire straits. And need I mention that your local church, temple or synagogue needs money as much if not more than the big charities do. We in America have no idea how much good and how much influence can be accomplished simply by working through the local organizations in our area. Maybe we can't influence the President of the US, but we can darn sure make our own neighborhood a better place to live, and if we all started to do so, pretty soon the entire US would be a different place than it is now.
Didn't mean to get on my soapbox, but this has been a burning issue with me for some time.
Thanks for letting me "air it out" here on PetTalk. This is by far the nicest and most courteous and thoughtful group of folks I've had the pleasure of talking to in a very long time. :D