PDA

View Full Version : An old dog with arthritis :(

bunnyloveruk
03-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone.
My dog, Lady, is almost 13 years old and recently has started to develop arthritis in her back legs. I was wondering if anyone know's of any treatment i can buy from my local pet store which will hopefully help her walk a bit better. She loves her walk's but i havn't been able to take her far lately as when we get home she's always so stiff and can't walk for the rest of the day. Any advice is truely helpful.

Bunnyloveruk

lv4dogs
03-07-2005, 10:20 AM
There are TONS of products out there now-a-days to help with arthritis. Even some foods (usually large breed &/or senior foods) have supplements mixed in for arthritis/joint problems.
The most common ones are Glucosamine, Chondrotin. Bovine Cartilage is another fairly comon one.

Your best bet would be to speak with your vet if you are just starting off starting the supplements. They can tell you what type would would be better (depending on where & what form of arthritis she has) and the proper dosage.

bunnyloveruk
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks.
I already took her to the vet a few days ago and they gave her some anti-inflammitry tablets which worked but now she has finished the course she is limping again. Thankyou for the advice, i will visit the pet shop tomorrow and have a browse around and see which are best .

tatsxxx11
03-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Do speak with the vet again! The medic. he gave her might have just been to treat the acute phase. Do you know what the name of the drug is? As has been said, there are lots of options out there, from prescribed med to over the counter counter. My girl Cody gets a supplement from the vet 'Glycoflex' which contains shark cartilege and glucosamine and on days when she's over done it, a buffered aspirin. But do talk to your vet first to make sure she's getting the right one for her and the right dosage:) Your Lady sounds ilke a sweetheart and I do hope you get to enjoy those walks again!:) Give Lady a hug for me!:) Sandra

bunnyloveruk
03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Thankyou for that. I will go and talk to the vet again and see if they can recommend anything in particular for her as i hate to see her walking on three legs even though she doesn't seem to be in any pain, and she's still annoying my mum by bringing all her toy's out of her box and scattering them all over the house :) thank's again guys.

tatsxxx11
03-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Great to hear she still wants to play!:D Let us know how she's doing!:)

bunnyloveruk
03-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Hi guys,
Just to let you know someone has told me about something called a "bio-flow" collar which is supposed to be really good for dogs (and humans) with arthritis. Anyone ever heard of these? I'll let you know how she goes.

schteve_d
03-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Buddy has shown signs of mild arthritis, but twice daily doses of
Glucosamine (with Condroiton- sp?) have done wonders for him. The odd time he over-does it still, and he gets a little aspirin (see my thread "children's tylenol?" for the opinions and past experiences of people here with human pain relievers for their pets). Hope you can enjoy many more walks with Lady!!

bunnyloveruk
03-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Thank you very much, i will keep that in mine :)

sammy101
03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
i believe Cosequin is good for stiff joints and such.My cat was taking it for a while,and helped her some.They make them for dogs,as well.
also,heres some stuff from Petmeds for Arthritis.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/dog.asp?LV=59&P=L

massagelady
03-12-2005, 10:52 PM
my female rottie serena was on rimadyll, from the vet. it worked wonders for her arthritis.

massagelady
03-17-2005, 03:42 AM
rymadil or rimadyl, great for arthritis.Serena, mo's mom was hit hard w/arthr. at about 7-8 yrs old.my vet gave her that and w/in a few days she was back to her bounciing off the car windows self....give it a shot. it is pricey, but well worth it.