PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin owners better watch out!

luckies4me
03-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Wisconsin hunter wants open season on domestic cats
Associated Press
March 6, 2005

MADISON, Wis. — Hunter Mark Smith welcomes wild birds on to his property, but if he sees a cat, he thinks the "invasive'' animal should be considered fair game.

The 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse has proposed that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species'' that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

His proposal will be placed before hunters on April 11 at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearings in each of the state's 72 counties.

"I get up in the morning and if there's new snow, there's cat tracks under my bird feeder ... I look at them as an invasive species, plain and simple,'' Smith said.

Smith's proposal has horrified cat lovers, but is seen by others as a way to stop cats from killing wild birds.

University of Wisconsin-Madison wildlife ecology professor Stanley Temple, who trapped more than 100 cats and analyzed their stomach contents during a four-year study, has estimated that between 7.8 million and 219 million birds are killed by rural cats in Wisconsin each year.

"It's obviously a very controversial proposal,'' Temple said, but added, "I think there really is a basis for having a debate about it.''

The Conservation Congress is a five-member elected body whose duty is to advise the Department of Natural Resources and the Legislature on natural resources issues.

DNR attorney Tim Andryk said the vote would simply be "an advisory recommendation'' to state lawmakers.

"We (the DNR) don't have authority to regulate domestic animals. Legislation would have to be passed to accomplish this,'' Andryk said. "You might also have to amend laws relating to abuse of domestic animals.''

But Temple said he thinks legislation is not needed. He said the department does have the authority to declare rural cats an unprotected species — because unclaimed cats can be considered non-native wildlife species like house mice, Norway rats, pigeons and starlings.

"If they are not a pet, if somebody doesn't claim ownership, they become a non-native wildlife species and not entitled to protection by the state,'' he said.

Cat enthusiasts Cheryl Balazs, Ted O'Donnell and Adam Bauknecht are trying to organize opposition to Smith's proposal. O'Donnell, a co-owner of MadCat Pet Supplies, recently set up a Web site, dontshootthecat.com, to inform people about it.

O'Donnell said Smith's proposal "is a callous response'' to the problem of cats preying on wild birds.

"There's more humane solutions,'' he said. "We as citizens should step up and solve the problem humanely.''

Sheri Carr, senior humane officer at the Dane County Humane Society, said the group has not yet taken a position on the proposal, but wants cat owners to abide by their local ordinances and not let their animals roam.

"I would hate to think that tame, owned cats who happen to slip out would be at risk of being deemed a wild, unprotected species,'' Carr said. "It's a delicate (ecological) balance out there, but does that mean people should be able to shoot their neighbor's cat? Probably not.''

———

Information from: Wisconsin State Journal, http://www.wisconsinstatejournal.com

source:http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5276384.html

And another link for people against this
http://www.dontshootthecat.com/

Now, the question is, how is one to tell if a cat is feral or a tame pet? :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
03-07-2005, 02:12 AM
I REALLY hope that doesn't go through!!
We shoo the birds away from our squirel feeders! LOL

lizbud
03-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Quote:

"Now, the question is, how is one to tell if a cat is feral or a tame pet? "

No, the question is ....... Is this guy an idiot, or what?

People should not be going around shooting cats anywhere,
whether they are feral or tame. :mad:

QueenScoopalot
03-07-2005, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't doubt that this butcher has already shot cats seen on his turf! Probably needs to cover his a** by trying to make it legal! :mad:

luckies4me
03-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Quote:

"Now, the question is, how is one to tell if a cat is feral or a tame pet? "

No, the question is ....... Is this guy an idiot, or what?

People should not be going around shooting cats anywhere,
whether they are feral or tame. :mad:

Well it's obvious he's an idiot. :p And true, no cats should be shot, BUT, if the law is passed, which it sounds as if it's a high possibility, how are they to know the animals are not someone's pet? My whole point was the damn thing don't make sense. We already know the unethical part of it. ;)

luckies4me
03-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I wouldn't doubt that this butcher has already shot cats seen on his turf! Probably needs to cover his a** by trying to make it legal! :mad:

I'm sure he has. There is a women down the street that has been doing this for the longest time, and it's LEGAL! If a cat walks on her property and gets close to her chickens she can shoot it, even though she is not ouside city limits and shouldn't be having chickens anyway!:mad:

tortuga55
03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
You should not shoot animals for doing something it was made to do. It would be like shooting a dog for chasing a rabbit. If he wants to pass laws like that one. If he wants to protect birds he should start with skiscrapers. Migrating birds by the thousands die each year when they fly into them. The lights make them believe that its a constilation. We never let our cats out in the morning because they catch birds, and Freddy the ferret is afraid of birds.

Desert Arabian
03-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I've got to admit, we've got some pretty stupid people here in Wisconsin, but I highly doubt that Wisconsin will have a cat hunting season...that will never happen. Why to people (mainly men) have to hate cats so much!?!?! GRR!

luckies4me
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
I've got to admit, we've got some pretty stupid people here in Wisconsin, but I highly doubt that Wisconsin will have a cat hunting season...that will never happen. Why to people (mainly men) have to hate cats so much!?!?! GRR!

I hope not. :(

sammy101
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
:eek: :eek:

All Creatures Great And Small
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
What I don't understand is why this guy has made himself the judge of which animals are "nuisances" and which aren't. Yes, free roaming cats kill birds and could be considered a nuisance. However, birds can be considered a nuisance as well, especially in large numbers, and there are farmers who shoot crows and other birds that are destroying their crops. Canada geese are so plentiful as to be considered a nuisance in most of Wisconsin, taking over parks and golf courses and pooping up a storm. Who is he to decide that the life of a bird is worth more than the life of a cat? It's as insane as an abortion protestor killing a doctor - thereby making themselves the judge of which human life was "worth saving".

It's precisely because of people like this pinhead, and a lot of other dangers, that I keep my kitties indoors and only let them out under my supervision, on a leash.

carole
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Reading this just makes my blood boil.

No-one should be shooting guns anywhere, this whole idea is ludicrous, just like the one here in NZ recently having curfew's on our cats and registration, a dumb idea not well thought out,because they are eating our wildlife and native birds, WRONG, it is the ship rats that were doing it here, and it has been proven.

Outside Cats keep our vermin population down, has anyone given them credit for that, I think NOT.

It is alway's CAT HATER'S that start this kind of crap.

It is totally INHUMANE, for one thing, and crazy that anyone can have a gun and shoot at any animal should they please, I am ever thankful NZ does not have guns available in the same sense, only for hunting purposes, you cannot have a hand gun here at all except under special circumstances.

GRR GRR...... this stuff makes me hopping MAD:mad: :mad:

Catsnclay
03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Shooting an animal will not make the problem go away. They really need to be EDUCATED. One of the local shelters or their humane society needs to step in and talk about T-N-R to these people........that is if they know how to listen. :mad:

I saw this on our local TV news and was outraged.

IRescue452
03-11-2005, 02:19 PM
My boss alreay shoots the cats in his backyard, which drives me insane. I don't think it will be much of a problem, so long as they don't pass a law about shooting in the city. I don't think it will pass. I personally would like to shoot several dogs in the neighborhood that all have homes but the people let them wander:rolleyes: . Of course I would never shoot a dog, but I'm close to catching them all, throwing them in my car, and driving them to a far away humane society where they will not be found by their current owners.