PDA

View Full Version : Found a Stray Kitten

Nomilynn
03-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Today while I was at work, I was busy restocking shelves and my friend Jenn (she works with me) shouted, "OH MY GOD WHAT THE *&$%" She had seem a woman across the street pick up a black cat, smack it in the behind, throw it on the ground and then stomp on it. :( :(

I went rushing across the street and called him to me. He's probably 5mos, is not neutered, black, white with siamese, and about the sweetest kitty I've ever seen in my life. I called Nathan to come pick him up and he's now staying in my bathroom, in my shower, because I want to keep him isolated from Tilly and Nutmeg.

I didn't see an actual flea, but there are reddish brown flecks of dirt coming off him so I will be getting some Advantage, just in case. When I go visit him I am very careful to not let him touch my clothes and I wear a smock. He's SO sweet though.. he just wants love.

I'm not going to post any "found cat" posters but I will give it about a week to see if anyone comes around asking about a lost cat. If not, looks like I might have a new kitty in the house :) Right now, Tilly is extremely upset, but that is to be expected. Nutmeg is curious but not being a snit, like Tilly is. I don't know where I will find the money to have his blood tested, etc but I will manage somehow. There is no way I will let him go back to that woman, if she was in fact his owner.

So, I will keep you updated. Please keep this little black kitty in your prayers, that he is healthy, has a happy home (either with his old owners, with me, or whomever adopts him) and that I won't have a huge flea infestation in my house! :eek:

aki
03-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Bless you for rescuing him! Poor little thing! Definately keep us updated! And need pics!

~Aki

Nomilynn
03-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Here are a few pictures..

Nomilynn
03-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Another..

Nomilynn
03-06-2005, 10:02 PM
One more..

He is now playing with a mousie that was left in the bathroom.. I'm happy he's playing :) I got him some kitten food as well.. it's Iams, which isn't the best, but it's better than Tilly and Nutmeg's Adult Light food. He really likes it, so I know he's eating.

He is sleeping in the litter box right now, even though I have a box in there as a bed. Anyone know why he might do this?

MULTICATMOM
03-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I'LL BET SHE'S A LOSER:mad:
HOW COULD YOU STOMP A CAT??:mad: :( SICKO FREAK LADY...
LUCKY FOR HIM, YOU SAVED THE DAY!! DOWN HERE PETSMART HAS WELL PET DAY EVERY OTHER WEEKEND $35 FOR SHOTS & BLOOD TEST. DO Y'ALL HAVE THOSE THERE?
HE'S VERY LUCKY TO BE SPENDING SOME QUALITY TIME IN YALLS HOUSE!! THANKS & A BIG ((((HUG)))) FROM KITTYS EVERYWHERE:D :D :cool: :D :D

Karen
03-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Too bad no one got her license plate, so she could be charged with animal cruelty. Mean, mean woman!

Black kitty is very cute, I hope he is okay!

wolf_Q
03-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Awww he's adorable!! I can't believe that woman would do that to him. :( I hope he finds a good home (and I hope it's yours! ;) )

Nomilynn
03-06-2005, 10:17 PM
She was walking, so I'm not sure where she came from or where she went. Jenn could identify her again, though, so after I see where this all leads, we will take it from there. For the time being, I don't want to be associated with the rescue, because I want to know first how bad his owners want him back - so for now, laying low!

Crikit
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM
What a cutie he is, good for you for rescuing him Naomi.

luckies4me
03-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Aww, he is such a cutie! Thanks for taking him in. He looks very sweet. :)

Lirathal
03-07-2005, 12:10 AM
<whine> Where is the love for me! I helped too! </whine>

Nathan :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Naomi, He's so adorable.:D I'm so glad that you were able to rescue him. Thanks goes out to Nathan also.:) I hope he's healthy and that he can become your kitty.;)

luckies4me
03-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lirathal

Thank you!:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanks both Naomi and Nathan, for saving that poor kitten! He looks so sweet, I just don't understand how anybody can be so cruel to hurt him.... :( . I hope you get this sorted out soon. May I say that I hope that he can stay with you ;) :D

catcrazylady
03-07-2005, 06:52 AM
OMG!! He is adorable!! Poor little fellow sounds like such a sweetheart and to have that nasty woman treat him that way!:mad: STOMP HIM!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: What a $@!*&!!!!:mad: I hope somebody stomps her one day just for being friendly!

I'm so glad you went and got him. Bless his heart. I hope you get to keep him because it sounds like he has already stolen your heart.;)
Bless you and thank you for stepping in when you saw that baby needed you.
Keep us posted on the cutie patootie!

shais_mom
03-07-2005, 07:22 AM
He is adorable Nom!!
And I can only hope that that woman get's her's one day.

Kater
03-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Soooo darling!!! I love his little white chest patch! :)
Major kudos to Nom and Nathan for rescuing him! I cannot even believe someone would stomp on a harmless little kitty... :(
I look forward to updates! :D

P.S. As for sleeping in the litter box...looks like it is a covered box if that is it in the last pic. Maybe if the bed you have for him now is not enclosed, then he would prefer (and use!) a covered sleeping area...like a tent or a carrier or a box on its side, etc. I would guess that it just makes him feel safer. Just a guess!
At second glance...it looks like you already have a box on its side as a bed! :p Okay, I dunno then!

QueenScoopalot
03-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Poor little guy!!! :( I'm so glad he was spotted, and rescued before anything worse happened to him. He looks like an Oriental shorthair! :) I sure hope the wicked woman who stomped on him gets hers! :mad: Do keep us updated! ;)

Nomilynn
03-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Well it's 6am and for some silly reason I can't sleep.

I've been into the bathroom 2x since last night - he's had a normal looking pee and a normal looking poop. Since he's used the litter box for its intended purpose, he's not sleeping in it. I also put an extra soft towel in the cardboard box, so maybe he just hadn't found it insulated enough, as the floor to the shower is a bit cold.

When I get up to stay up (I will be attempting more sleep :p) I will move him from the shower into the bathroom, and jam towels under the door. I need to use my shower so he's going to have to get out of there!! :D The main reason he was isolated to the shower was I wanted to see if he would spray, but he obviously knows how to use the litter box and he hasn't sprayed anything.

I did find a flea on him :( It was a big one too. I'm going to get some Advantage for him, Tilly and Nutmeg today because I want to be safe rather than sorry later. I've been thinking about putting Tilly and Nutmeg on Revolution anyway, so this will be the test run. I would just get Revolution now but that requires a vet exam and I'm going to hold off on that until the end of the week.

Other than that, he's just a purry cuddle bum monster :) He LLOOOOVES scritches and when he purrs he drools haha. He mewed at me when I was in there and he didn't get to come out of the shower, but only twice, and when he knew he wasn't going to be coming out he just went back to his box and quieted down. I hate to keep him cramped up in there but I know it's for his own good, and especially for Tilly and Nutmeg, who, after all, were here first. :)

I will keep you all updated as much as possible :)

NKBurlington
03-07-2005, 08:31 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to a helpless animal.

Good on you for saving him.

catmandu
03-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Thank God,taht you got,that Little One,away,from that monster,that prtends,to be a Human Being.and The Found Cats,are all sending,thier prayers,for that Little One,and pray,that he finds,a home,soon.

mruffruff
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm so glad you could rescue this little guy. (I'm especially partial to black cats.)

It's unfortunate that there are jerks in this world like that woman. But fortunate that you were there for the kitty.

He needs a name. Maybe Black Jack?

Mary

mina'smomma
03-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Lirathal

~hugs and headbumpies for Nathan too~

moosmom
03-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Naomi,

You are the best for taking in this poor little putty. He is so sweet looking. I'd have reported the 6itch for animal cruelty!! I'm glad you got him away from her.

(((((hugs)))))) to you!!

ratchet22
03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
tHANKS SOOO MUCH FOR HELPING HIM. SHE DOESNT KNOW HOW LUCKY SHE IS I DIDNT SEE THAT HAPPEN.:mad: I HAVE A TEMPER WHEN IT COMES TO THE BABIES. I WOULD HAVE LOST IT ON HER.:D

HE IS A REAL SWEETIE, I HOPE YOU GET TO KEEP HIM

persianmom
03-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Some one should stomp on him. she must be a mean person to be so unkind to something so much smaller that her. I'm glad you have taken him in you are a kind soul and will be rewarded for that kindness.

Jayna78
03-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks for saving a kitty's life! What a cutie! :)

I know that Leila slept in the litterbox a little bit when we first adopted her - not sure what that's all about. Anyway, she doesn't do it anymore.

I hope that the mean, sick, lady who stomped on this cute little guy gets what's coming to her. I really hope that they start to punish people who commit acts of animal cruelty on a similar level to those who commit violent acts against humans. To me, they should get very severe punishment. Who says an animal's life isn't as valuable as a human's?

ramanth
03-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh Naomi, he's just precious!! Thank you for saving him. I hope the flea issue doesn't get out of control.

(And thanks to Nathan too for helping :p ;) )

Nomilynn
03-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I treated Kitten and my two girls yesterday with Advantage. It seemed to work well, because when I got home from school the fleas were crawling off Kitten in a feeble attempt at life :D But I also discovered last night that he does indeed have worms - tapeworms, which is to be expected because of the fleas - so I've been doing some calling around with estimates on getting him all vet checked. I will also deworm Tilly and Nutmeg, just to be on the safe side. They haven't been dewormed since kittenhood so it won't hurt them.

No one had come into the theatre looking for him, etc. There are no ads in the paper. Today when I went into the bathroom I decided to tidy up, and I took in a broom, and he cowered in a corner and hissed at me :( I picked him up and put him on the counter, and that seemed to calm him a bit. He's also terrified of plastic bag noise.

So I will keep updating as I know more.. which is never very much ;) :p

Nomilynn
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
PS - what do you all think of the name Haven, since he's found a safe one here? :)

jazzcat
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
PS - what do you all think of the name Haven, since he's found a safe one here? :)
I think that is absolutely Purrfect!!!!!:D

kuhio98
03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm so glad he's doing well and that you are monitoring his health. (AND I'M SO GLAD WE DON'T HAVE FLEAS IN ALASKA!).
I think Haven is a great name. Please keep us posted and THANK YOU for being his guardian angel.

Thank the Lord there are more people like you on earth than there are kitty stompers!

smokey the elder
03-08-2005, 01:57 PM
What a handsome little fellow! Thanks to you and Nathan for rescuing him.

The vet will probably prescribe Droncit for his tapeworms. It usually only takes one or two doses.

rg_girlca
03-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Thank you Naomi and Nathan for rescuing this precious little baby and I just love the name Haven. He sounds adorable.

:mad: :mad: at that stupid, ignorant, sorry excuse for a human being.

carole
03-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Haven you are indeed a handsome young fellow, I sure hope you can find a loving furever home, hopefully, fingers and paws crossed with Nomilynn.

It sounds as if Haven has been mis-treated more than you have witnessed, by his reactions to the broom and plastic bag, although he could just be scared of those things, or never seen them before , who really knows.

He is absolutely gorgeous, how anyone who could lift a finger to harm him is beyond me, I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around and bad karma, so rest assured everyone with hope this evil woman will get hers one of these days.

A wonderful rescue by you both, and here's hoping you can keep him.:)

PS about Haven sleeping in his litter box, I notice when they have adoptions at the shopping malls, quite often the cats or kittens will sleep in the litter boxes. don't ask me why, as I am unsure.

Nomilynn
03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, Haven is going to the vet on Thursday morning for his first round of vaccines, blood work, possible urinalysis, exam, Drontal, etc etc. I will know by Saturday if he can move out of the bathroom :p

He's going to get a full deworming, and then next month he, Tilly and Nutmeg will all be on Revolution anyway. After Haven's exam, Tilly and Nutmeg will be going in for an exam (since Revolution is a perscription) so they will also get Drontal, just in case. I've been really careful about contamination but sometimes things happen so better safe than sorry.

manda_moo87
03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Good luck at the vet! :)

I think the name Haven fits him perfectly!

catcrazylady
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree that the name Haven is perfect for him. It sounds like you have everything under control and are doing everything just right for all the kitties.
I'm so thnakful that you and Nathan saw and acted upon the cruel behavior of that physco woman! I'm sure you are going to have many years of love and enjoyment from little Haven. He will thank you a thousand times over with laughter and love.
Hope all goes well at the white coats! Keep us posted and please pass along a little *smooch* and {{{hug}}} to that precious little boy!:) :) :)

Nomilynn
03-08-2005, 09:28 PM
change of plans - he's going to the vet tomorrow :p

I was able to contact my family's old vet, when we lived in this area before, and he's willing to cut me a break on some costs because he 1) remembers us and 2) it's a stray/rescue :) I will save about $80!!! Which I can use toward food for Haven :p

Please pray that Haven will be FIV and FeLV free, has a clean blood panel, and can be introduced to the "family" soon :)

rg_girlca
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh Naomi, that is such great news.

Prayers on the way that all his tests come out negative.

krazyaboutkatz
03-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Naomi, I love the name Haven for him and I'm so glad that he'll be going to the vet tomorrow and that you'll also be able to save some money too.:) Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way for all tests to negative. Please update us when you can.

wolf_Q
03-09-2005, 12:13 AM
I hope that you will find out at the vet he is healthy (besides the fleas and worms). He's such an adorable kitty, I like the name Haven too! :)

ramanth
03-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I love the name Haven! :D Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health. :D

moosmom
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Today when I went into the bathroom I decided to tidy up, and I took in a broom, and he cowered in a corner and hissed at me

That's a definite sign he's been abused. Poor little baby! At least now he's safe with you.

Drontal should take care of the worm problem.

jenluckenbach
03-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Oh, he is so cute! :D And Haven is a wonderful name.