PDA

View Full Version : skipping puppyhood...

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2005, 04:39 PM
When I get my next dog, I dont want a puppy...

I dont want to go through all the chewing, peeing on the floor, ect... puppy stuff...

I was thinking of going to a breed specific rescue...

I want a pure bred dog..

I am moving out in like 6 months give or take...
And Tikeya has anxiety if left alone for too long..
I would like to habe two dogs kicken around anyways.

Any imput on adopting an adult dog would be great..

I have takin into consideration that a rescued adult dog may chew and pee on the floor too.. but I hope to get an already house trained dog or older pup...

Kevin Farmer
03-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Lots of dogs in rescue, not sure how you feel about them but Pit Bulls are in need of homes, because of the public phobia.

Vette
03-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Ohh!! adoting a adult dog is very much rewarding. i adopted Kirby when he was 2 an a 1/2 years old. and i can honestly say im very glad i didnt go with puppy breath miss-haps. after a few weeks it seemed like we raised him up as a pup,, and always been part of the family. when he of course wasnt.

the only thing im sorry about,, is that i dont have any pictures of him as a puppy. i would have loved to see what he looked like then. :D

Karen
03-06-2005, 05:43 PM
What about Baby? Wouldn't she be coming with you?

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2005, 05:45 PM
no baby and oscar arnt my dogs, they are my mom and dads.

Tikeya is my dog.

The pitbul isnt really the dog for me. although I love them. they arnt suited to my lifestyle.

Suki Wingy
03-06-2005, 06:00 PM
I've never had a dog younger that 6 months. All I can say is you are making an exelent choise! Why do you want a pure bred?

Glacier
03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
We haven't had a puppy here in almost six years. Earle was the last puppy and if I have my way, there will never be another puppy here again! All the other dogs have arrived as adults. I find it so much easier. Housetraining an older dog is a breeze. Do it just like you would with a puppy, but it usually takes about a third as long. Most of my adults housetrained themselves without every having an accident in the house.

What kind of purebred are you thinking of? I have lots of contacts with husky & malamute rescues if you decide to go with another Northern breed.

dukedogsmom
03-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I don't plan on a puppy again, either. I'm gone a lot because of my job and it wouldn't be fair to them. Plus, adult dogs have lots less chances of being adopted. I don't guess another Husky would be a good idea since they're so mischievious?

Glacier
03-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I don't guess another Husky would be a good idea since they're so mischievious?

But the best toy for a husky is another husky! ;)

Karen
03-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I'd maybe wait until you're in your own place - especially as it's often a challenge finding a dog-friendly place, then start checking petfinder! :) Too bad Baby is your parents', but maybe they won't miss YOU too much when you move out if they have her to distract them? Or take Tikeya to local shelters and see who she gets along with! Many purebreds end up in shelters, sadly.

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Suki Wingy, I want a pure bred because then you know what to expect from the breed. You can research on the breed ect. I have always had purebreds, and i will always have them ;).

Glacier, I was thinking of another siberian husky BUT I have thought alot about the noise they make, ands the prey drive, also the pack insinct they carry. I would be scared that if Tikeya and the new sibe got out they would take off... Tikeya wouldent take off with a smaller breed.... but i have a feeling she would with another sibe or malamute...

dukedogsmom, Tikeya loved other sibes, as long as they are male... but i dont think it would work...

Karen, I have already found several places that are pet friendly. :). its only a matter of coming up with a roomate ;).. I would be scared to take tikeya to a shelter to meet the dogs there, she would freak out. She would scream and scream, i can see it know... pluse i would be scared that she would get some weird virus from one of the shelter dogs... they arnt in the best condition here.

Suki Wingy
03-06-2005, 11:51 PM
That's really too bad about the conditions of the shelters! The only purebred I ever had was a lot different that Dalmatians are supposed to be, Instead of very outgoing and friendly, she was terrified and a severe fear bitter.

cyber-sibes
03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
But the best toy for a husky is another husky!

I agree! Huskies definitly need to have a buddy, because that pack-instinct is strong, but if you establish yourself as the "pack leader", you'll be just fine. And usually dogs of the opposite sex will get along better than with one of their own. I would definitly take her to meet your perspective choice at the pound - most places have an area they can meet in. that way they meet on neutral territory - much less threatening than having a strange dog show up in her home!

Too bad we don't live closer, my son has a young male (9 mos) that is looking for a new home - he's been great with my two! He had alot of anxiety and became a chronic howler because my son has to leave him alone all day, which isn't a very good life for a pack dog. But he's been the best-behaved little guy with us (I'm dog-sitting him for a couple weeks).

jennifert9
03-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Tikeya, you may want to wait until you can afford a place of your own without a roomie.....Not trying to discourage you at all but I have some experience with the issue. I had a roommate who also had a dog so you would think it would be easier.....NO, the exact opposite...one dog is always the alpha and my dog was it. it caused a lot of tension in the house between my roommate and I as both of us loved our dogs to death and each other's dogs, but you never want to see your own dog having to play second fiddle to another's. Also, the roommate wasn't always looking out for the best interests of my dog. She certainly wasn't mistreating him or anything like that. In fact, the exact opposite, she loved him but her dog came first to her. And vice versa really, if I'm honest.
Having a roommate can be difficult to begin with and putting a dog in the mix makes it even more so. And then when you want to move out, it is hard to find a place that will accept a large full-grown animal, no matter how well behaved. My boyfriend and I are looking for a new place right now and as soon as we mention we have a large full-grown, completely housetrained dog, we get shut down....It's frustrating. We also have found that on the rare occasion the landlord says yes to the dog, the apartments are generally not nearly as nice and the reason they are saying yes is that they don't do any upkeep on the place. It's a sad situation, especially since, in my experience, pet owners and lovers are usually some of the best people in the world!!
I definitely think you should check the shelters for a purebred if that is what you have your heart set on. I think I have posted this before a long time ago, but I got Duncan from the SPCA and the dog next to him was a purebred bassett hound that the owner had to give up. He was only about a year old. Bassett hound puppies in this area go for about $1,000 each compared to the $150 SPCA fee and the wonderful feeling of saving a life!