PDA

View Full Version : Before you can sell a house in Switzerland ...

ChrisH
03-06-2005, 02:05 PM
... A Swiss hygiene inspector calls
By Imogen Foulkes
BBC Geneva correspondent
Moving house is said to be one of life's most stressful experiences but, in Switzerland, it is made even more stressful by strict requirements on how you leave your old home. Imogen Foulkes moved house recently and describes the day the hygiene inspector came to call.

I have to confess, I have always been a bit intimidated by the Swiss devotion to cleanliness. It all began not long after I arrived in Switzerland when, as a new mother, I was invited for coffee by a woman who had had her baby in the same hospital as me.
I found myself sitting in a kitchen which seemed more suited to open heart surgery than a cosy chat about feeding routines and nappy rash. The surfaces gleamed, the floor was spotless, even the babies were squeaky clean - apart from mine, who was only squeaky.

Immaculate

But, a few years on, I have become more used to Swiss hygiene standards so, when it came to moving house, I knew I was expected to leave my old home immaculate. Sure enough, I got a letter saying the hygiene inspector would be there at 10 o'clock on a Monday morning.

He arrived, punctual to the nanosecond - a dapper little man in a maroon jacket and beautifully pressed trousers. His name was Herr Schweizer - or Mr Swiss in English - and he had even brought a spare pair of shoes to wear inside the house. I should have recognised the warning signs when I noticed that Herr Schweizer, who was no taller than me, somehow managed to look down at me over the top of his glasses. But I had spent the best part of three days cleaning and I was confident I would pass the inspection with flying colours.

'Let's start in the kitchen,' said Mr Swiss and I trotted eagerly after him. I was particularly proud of the kitchen - old postcards and invitations were gone from the walls, so too was the odd blob of spaghetti sauce, vintage 2002. The oven shone, the cupboards were bare. But Herr Schweizer was not impressed. He was too busy unscrewing my taps. "Look", he said pointing to the inside of a pipe I'd scarcely known existed. "All these calcium deposits, you'll have to get rid of them."

We moved on to the ceramic hob. Mr Swiss bent over it. I could see his reflection in its pristine surface - he could see something else.
He produced a razor blade from his pocket and scraped gently - a tiny black speck floated upwards. "Still dirty", he said.

An hour-and-a-half later we were still in the kitchen, but mercifully almost finished, just one drawer to go. Too late, I realised I could not actually remember having cleaned that one. Herr Schweizer pulled it open to reveal three old fish knives, a cork, two bottle openers and what looked suspiciously like a lock of child's hair. This time he said nothing. He just sighed and added the drawer to his list.

On it went. Behind a radiator he discovered half a spider's web. In the bathroom, dismantling the toilet cistern revealed yet more calcium deposits. Downstairs in the cellar, the ventilation shaft was smudged. The list grew ever longer and I realised I had at least another day's cleaning ahead of me.

When the inspection ended, I was given a six-page list of improvements I needed to make and, as I ushered him towards the door, he had one last instruction. Passing the fuse box, he pulled it open. "Look", he said triumphantly. "Dust!"

A week later, the house is clean, my muscles ache and my hands are sore from cleaning fluids. But I'm happy, because I know that should a pair of heart surgeons move into my old house, they need never go to the hospital - they can perform operations in my kitchen, and store their instruments in my fuse box.

Extract taken from a BBC NEWS story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4318029.stm

A wee bit excessive don't you think? :)

Fox-Gal
03-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
A wee bit excessive don't you think? :)

A wee bit???!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I like a house to be clean when I move into it, but I would never expect that clean.

I mean I'm going to re-clean it away, It's just what you do when you move........Clean it your way. Or is that just me?

cali
03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
yikes lol that inspecter would be apalled at my house! lol he would so one look at my house and say "demolition time" lol compared to what that guys is expecting my house is an utter disaster area lol

Vio&Juni
03-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Wherever I moved in, I re-cleaned everything. And I am not a clean freak, you just never know who lived there before.

animal_rescue
03-06-2005, 07:11 PM
OMG! If that guy ever came into my house, he'd probably run out screaming:o

Corinna
03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh please don't bring Mr Swiss to my house.

catnapper
03-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh boy... I shudder to think of how many pages of improvements he'd be handing me!

QueenScoopalot
03-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm certain Mr. Swiss would come here armed with gasoline, and matches! :eek: Yes..I would say that's a bit too sterile for my taste! :o If you don't like the dust...pull down the shades! :D

Killearn Kitties
03-07-2005, 03:51 AM
:D :D What an excellent story! I'll remember never to move house in Switzerland.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-07-2005, 05:26 AM
:eek: :eek:

A few years ago we rented a house in the mountains south of France, for a week. Together with my hubby and kids, we spent the last day cleaning everything. The weather had been very cold (we got snow in July :eek: ), so we had spent lots of time indoors, playing games,and reading.
Then came the inspector from the renting company...:rolleyes:

I cannot remember her exact words, but she was NOT satisfied at all: we had to re-do almost everything:eek: :rolleyes: . My hubby managed to keep his mouth shout untill the woman left; but then .... :mad: %*ùx% :mad: !!!

One thing is sure: we will NEVER ever go there again!!!:mad:

Cataholic
03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Cleanliness is overrated, IMO. I am not some slob...however, when you consider most Americans walk inside their homes with the same shoes they walk all over the world in...well, anything else can't be that bad.

I wash my hands alot, wash my clothes in hot water, and believe if you name a dust bunny it isn't really dust anymore!:D

QueenScoopalot
03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
A sign I saw once...and liked is "An immaculate home is a sign of a life mispent"! And another was "Dull women have immaculate homes". Of course neither of those sayings apply to me! :o ;) :D

RICHARD
03-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I am really surprised that Mr Hygiene didn't ask Ms Foulkes to drop trou.

"What do we have here????":rolleyes:

Vio&Juni
03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
most Americans walk inside their homes with the same shoes they walk all over the world in...

My house is not like a pharmacy, but I don't like to walk with the outside shoes inside. One thing that I don't accept. I even change clothes inside. I just feel so comfy walking barefoot in the house.

ChrisH
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I just find it all so odd. Before you sell your house it has to be inspected for cleanliness?? That is strange enough in itself but the things listed .... c'mon!! I tell you, never mind buying or selling a house I'd be nervous of even going there on holiday! :D

Here's the rest of the article giving the authors take on it all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It gave me a chance, during the scrubbing and polishing, to reflect on why it is the Swiss attach so much importance to cleanliness.

A friend of mine says it is the crowded nature of this country. Switzerland is small and mainly mountainous; space is limited; most of the seven million inhabitants live in apartments so keeping things clean and tidy is necessary just to live comfortably.
Another friend, more unkindly, suggests that the Swiss are not exactly noted for their achievements in art and literature - perhaps, he says, because they pour their creative energy into cleaning.

My own interpretation has to do with the role of women in Swiss society - those with children often do not work. That means hundreds of thousands of women in small apartments, with no gardens and time on their hands. A recent survey revealed that the average Swiss woman can spend at least two hours - every day - on housework. The very idea exhausts me, but it probably saves them the ordeal I went through at Mr Schweizer's hands.

Twisterdog
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, it would be hopeless for me to ever try to sell a house there ... although I have to say that I would certainly like to buy one. Think of it ... it would be the absolute cleanest house you'd ever live in!

popcornbird
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
WOW! That must be torture for the seller, but HEAVEN for the buyer! I would love to buy a house like that. LOL! I love clean homes more than anything. We don't allow outside shoes in our house...not on the tiles...not on the carpet...nowhere. I personally think homes are not cleaned enough here in the US for the new buyers/tenants. Maybe they do go overboard in Switzerland, but I think we here, should do a better job. :p Its not fair to give the new buyers a dirty house when they pay you like half a million dollars for it. :o