PDA

View Full Version : Hug your pet!

Karen
09-15-2001, 03:46 PM
Someone sent me a link to a nice story from her local paper:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/columnists/bogue/stories/x12gary_20010912.htm

ilovehounds
09-15-2001, 04:00 PM
That is sooo true :D
Thanks for sharing !

Cinder & Smoke
09-15-2001, 04:38 PM
Our FurKids seem to "know" when things aren't quite right...

Cinder was never much of a "lap dog". Oh, she'd jump into my lap when asked to, curl up and cuddle for a while. But she'd only want to stay there for a while, never seemed really "happy" to be there. If I stopped *skritching*, she'd crawl off and take up a position behind or under my feet and sleep there.

All that changed on Monday night - BEFORE the plane hijackings. Monday she wiggled her way onto the "kliner" chair beside me. Only the front half at first; but after a few minutes she'd managed to crawl completely onto the chair with her head alternately on my lap or on my arm. Happily stayed there for an hour or two. I had to coax her down to get up. Smokey was upset - since he IS a lap dawg! I had both of them in, on and around my lap by bed time! Two dogs and a Two-Legger is one serious load for the recliner!

Tuesday night, spent glued to the TV, was a repeat ~ first Cinder, then Smokey, even Boots, the Kat (NOT a lap kritter) ~ all three wanting lap time. Whoever wasn't snuggled either beside or on me was laying on my feet. The Kat even lay down with Smokey on the floor (not often done!)

Every evening has been a repeat - if the TV has disaster coverage playing - the FurKids want serious *snuggle time*. Makes you wonder... How do they sense that something is wrong in their world?

Pam
09-15-2001, 06:24 PM
Karen thank you for that. I love this line...

The purring cat and the dog with a wagging tail are still the greatest tranquilizers in the world AMEN to that!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-15-2001, 09:55 PM
Amen, in times of stress a hug and kiss from Daisy can cure anything.

Daisy's Mom
09-16-2001, 12:51 AM
What a great story! Daisy can always cheer me up too, and she knows when she is needed to do so. Thanks for sharing it!

crow_noir
09-16-2001, 02:12 AM
reading that article put a happy memory on the front of my mind. it came as i neared the end of the article.

i remember, that when i was sick, when i layed down for a nap, my budgie, Petey would sing extra quiet. even sing a happy soothing tune.

Eudora
09-16-2001, 09:51 AM
Sooo true! Tanya brightens up my life and seeing her happy makes my day. She just nuzzles against me when I feel blue, and that's better than anything else.

tatsxxx11
09-16-2001, 10:28 AM
Sometimes I think I'll never make it through a day. Then, I get a lick, kiss and nudge from the kids and things don't seem so overwheliming. Everytime I touch or hold an animal, look into their eyes, I can FEEL my heart swell and I HAVE to smile every time! Instant healing. :)

Stenograsaurus
09-16-2001, 06:16 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that our pets help us through times of stress. When my father died a sudden death, I immediately held my dog and cried so hard. He was there licking my face, trying to get a smile from me. We received the phone call at 1:00 in the morning. He had spent the last year as a truck driver. He was at work. The next day, I went to be with my horses. I just leaned against Yankee. He just stood there, never moved until I did. I gathered so much strength from him that day. He knew I needed it and he didn't move until I was strong enough to let go. And people wonder why I love animals so much. We get so much from them.

nsweezie
09-19-2001, 09:17 PM
That story was so true. My cats just knew something was wrong last week. Both of them were following me all day, purring and trying to sit on me. It was like they were trying to cheer me up.

Eudora
09-21-2001, 06:00 AM
Yes... you all are so right! A warm lick and all the bad feelings just melt... like ice cream... sorry! It's a hot day and I want something cold! :D