PDA

View Full Version : Satan in the Smoke

Pam
09-15-2001, 11:44 AM
Probably many of you have received e-mails which contained a photo of a face in the smoke at the burning WTC. I originally thought it may have been "doctored" until I saw it appear on the front page of a Delaware newspaper that my son brought home. Here is a link regarding that image in the smoke. Apparently it is real...
http://dailynews.philly.com/content/daily_news/2001/09/13/local/DEVI13C.htm

4 feline house
09-15-2001, 12:01 PM
Pam, I heard about it the first time when I visited Snopes.com last night. Snopes is a website that debunks all the latest chain emails and urban legends making the rounds. They did not have any evidence that this was a retouched photo; in fact, on that website they had two photos from two sources.
http://www.snopes2.com/spoons/photos/wtcface.htm

I might be one of the world's most cynical skeptics. In fact, when I got that Nostradamus email making the rounds, I immediately researched it and found for myself what Snopes and others are only just now finding out - that the quatrain was not at all written by Nostradamus, but by a student a couple of years ago showing how ambiguous his "predictions" were.

But these photos are too eerie.

The thing that I still keep thinking, though, is why they are showing up three and four days later. They were blatantly obvious in these photos. As many video and still cameras as there were pointed at those towers, and as many thousands of times they were shown over and over in the first few hours of worldwide, all-channel coverage, it seems to me someone, somewhere would have noticed them in those first few hours.

zippy-kat
09-15-2001, 06:51 PM
I too thought it might be 'doctored' but I saw it on a replay earlier this evening. Interesting...

4 feline house
09-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Well, it took me a few hours of research, but I finally found that AP picture by Mark D. Phillips, posted a few hours after it was taken, and it is decidedly different from the one on Snopes. I had them in two windows, side by side, and they were exactly the same size in each window, but the "face" as not nearly as clear and concise. The "mouth" was completely non-existent.

I am going to try and post them here, but I don't know if they will pop up as the same size.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20010911/capt.1000240751world_trade_center_crash_ny142.jpg
http://future.philly.com/photos/lilface.jpg

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: 4 feline house ]

4 feline house
09-15-2001, 11:36 PM
Well, they're not the same size, and I don't know how to resize them when they're being posted to a board, but maybe they're close enough.

Anyway, folks can come to their own conclusions.

As far as the CNN one, unfortunately sometime Thursday I was doing some housecleaning and deleted all my temporary internet files. But I was on CNN at work, then at home, all day, except for the hour it took to get home, and I don't remember anything so blatant. I will check to see if it is still on my computer at work. CNN supposedly took it down just a few hours after posting it.

zippy-kat
09-16-2001, 12:21 AM
Hey 4Feline...I have the Cnn one, it is the one I saw on tv.

If you want, send me an email and I'll mail it back to ya.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

Eudora
09-16-2001, 09:43 AM
That was eerie.... is it for real?

carrie
09-16-2001, 11:15 AM
No matter how hard this is to accept we have to hold on to the fact that humans did these vile things to other humans. This is the reality that has to be faced. The people that did this will say they are fighting the terrorism visited on them by the US and can show many such images.
We need to all believe that we have an equal right to space on this planet and that no one group has more right than any other.
If we start to believe that the people that did this were guided by Satan then we are losing sight of the real reasons, however unappealing they are.
That said there can be no room on this Earth for any person or group who will try to bow the will of others to their own in such a vile and cowardly way. They will not succeed. They will not continue. They will not have their will in this way.
Not all that are Muslim are to be hated and not all that are Christian are unblemished (you only have to look towards to Britain and Ireland to know this). Please keep in mind that people have done this, however hard that is to accept. People now have to decide how to respond. It is a free choice and we all have to make ours without the added hysteria of pictures in flames, smoke or clouds - aren't things difficult and frightening enough as it is?

Former User
09-16-2001, 11:32 AM
Isn't there better things on people's mind than finding things out from pics that don't even excist? :mad: Yeah yeah yeah, you may see a Satan there, but how come the idea of a satan has come up only now, several days after the attack? And not few moments after it? Some people have way too much time in their hands... No offense towards anyone, but come on! We totally agree with Carrie.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Casper & Kitty ]

jackiesdaisy1935
09-16-2001, 12:14 PM
I believe this country will have a one track mind to bring these horrible people with their so called holy war to justice. They are scattered about the world like the plague, here and there, living so called normal lives waiting for an opportunity to kill more innocent Americans and people of many other countries. Be assured, we are strong, we are dedicated and we have faith that no matter how long it takes we will prevail. Please look at Angels3 post today under general and you will weep at the love coming from many many people.
Jackie

Albea
09-16-2001, 12:20 PM
I don't mean to offend anybody and I don't mind the label of cynical, but, has anybody ever seen a photograph of Satan? The only images we have were created by artists, so, who painted this one?
Also, all religions preach love, compassion for all living creatures, all the good things we would like to believe are possible. Not a single one teaches violence. It's the human race that has subverted those teachings for their own purposes. More wars have been faught and more people have been killed in the name of religion, whichever that religion may be, than were killed by all the plagues that visited this planet. And each time the crimes were perpetrated by people who thought that their cause was blessed by their gods.

4 feline house
09-16-2001, 03:22 PM
Albea, you are exactly right. In my earlier post comparing the two photos, I was also going to make that same point - specifically, that Satan usually visits man in the form of other beings, such as serpents, but didn't want to inject too much of my own faith into the mix.

zippy-kat
09-16-2001, 04:24 PM
We actually visited a different church this morning. The preacher reminded his congregation that the Bible says there is "a time for peace and a time to kick tail..."

Thought it was a kinda cute way to phrase it.

Pam
09-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Whether this picture is actually a likeness of Satan or not does not really bother me much. His presence was felt there nonetheless. There has been much discussion about The Shroud of Turin and whether or not it is an actual image of Jesus also does not bother me. I know that He was resurrected and don't need a shroud to bolster my faith. (Sorry to preach) I just felt it was interesting to post this as it had not been proven to be phony. The interesting thing about an act of extreme evil in this world is that it always sends people to their knees, regardless of their religious faith. That fact in itself must be very disturbing to those who perpetuate these things.

Daisy's Mom
09-16-2001, 09:37 PM
Nicely said, Pam. I also agree, Carrie, that we can't blame it all on Satan, and that it was people who did this, but I definitely beleive that Satan helped them along.

karen israel
09-19-2001, 02:20 PM
I totally agree with Spencer...I know Muslims and terrorism is not part of the Koran. These maniacs have twisted words to fit their needs, and made the entire religion look bad. Muslims are peaceful, and promote helping others, but of course will defend their family, don't we all? They condemn suicide. This is coming from a Jew who has the utmost respect for all religions and nationalities and creeds. What a shame people are sterotyped (I'm poor.. LOL! :D)We should also pray that there are no more injuries or deaths of those who "look" Muslim or different. It's ugly and belittling to America. :mad:

Logan
09-19-2001, 02:45 PM
Pam, I'm glad you posted this. I looked at it for several days, over and over. I know we don't "know" what Satan looks like, really, And I know that it is just a result of the way that smoke was billowing, but to me, that picture looks like "evil"....just like Satan. And this attack was evil!

I'm with the rest of you, I hope that this country will show its pride the right way, and not assume that every Arab immigrant is a terrorist. I, for one, have no predjudice...we need to wave our flags proudly, support our President and his staff, and pray, pray, pray, that only the ones who have caused this destruction are brought to their knees.

gini
09-19-2001, 04:45 PM
A group of neighbors were together and we commented on our Muslim neighbors. They have lived on our block for over 30 years. They have three grown sons, a doctor, a lawyer and an engineer. We all agreed that they were one of the nicest families we knew on our block and were always right there if you needed any help.

I thought that they should know what we had said about them. They just might need those thoughts about now. So I called and shared. The next day I got a call from them to say thank you for my call. The wife had gone to the doctor's office and as she sat in the waiting room a man said "I think we should round up all of those Muslims and kick them out of the country."
Can you imagine how that made her feel? She was born in Minnesota.

No, we don't know what Satan "looks" like, but I think we do know how he "sounds".

jackiesdaisy1935
09-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Gini, that was a nice thing that you did. There is good and bad in all Nationalities.
We have a Muslim who runs the little Neighborhood store here and on Sundays when our Grandson gets our Sunday paper for us he always asks where Grandpa is (Don) and how is he.

4 feline house
09-19-2001, 07:32 PM
I was really disappointed in my Sunday school teacher and associate pastor - many times during class and the sermon both (our pastor is on vacation) he kept saying "these Muslims" instead of "these terrorists". I hope he was just so worked up that he didn't realize what he was saying. Then later, at lunch, one of my friends was making derogatory remarks, about many races and faiths (including the Tongans who had visited our church that morning). I don't understand this. I wondered if she would have been talking that way if Jesus had happened to join us for lunch! I'm white and Christian, but I have dated men who were black, I have dated men who were Asian, I have dated men who were Muslim, one of my closest friends is Asian Indian born and raised in Malaysia married to a black man, another one of my closest friends is black, I could go on and on. People are basically all the same (well, my Asian and Muslim friends had some weird ideas about women and their place in the world, but that's another post!). There's good and bad everywhere, but the overwhelming majority of people just want to make a living and love their families and friends. Evil is not evil becuase they are Muslim, Jew, Australian, Russian, male, female, earthling or martian. Evil is evil because of evil. Why can't we all just get along?