PDA

View Full Version : We're keeping them!

Glacier
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
We have decided to stop deluding ourselves that Mac and Ozzy are foster dogs. As of today, they are officially permanent members of the Wandering Spirits family!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/happy_mac.jpg
Happy Mac running the fence line looking for a way out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/what_skijor.jpg
Ozzy learning to skijor!

In eight months we've had very little interst in them. There isn't much demand for dogs that must go together, are very timid, make alot of noise, escape at will, and one who bites when he's cornered! One guy seemed really nice and I'm sure he would be a good dog owner. But he lives in a subdivision where fences can only be four feet high! Well, that wouldn't even slow Mac down. Mac associates being tied up with being in trouble and being hurt. He cowers and shakes at the sight of a chain. Clearly, he can't go to a home where he would have to be chained up! The other couple who called never came out to see them after I told them Mac has a bite history. They have a young child and Mac would not have been a good fit for them.

Ozzy has decided that I am the greatest thing since MilkBones. I have great difficulty walking around the yard lately as Ozzy has started to match my stride in order to keep his head pressed against my thigh! I'm sure that with enough time Ozzy would bond to someone else, but I'm not sure I could look in those big brown eyes and break his heart, even short term.

Plus they are both turning into fine sled dogs, despite the concerns of the musher who bred them.

Welcome to the pack, boys!

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Awww. They're adorable. Congrats! :)

caseysmom
03-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Congratulations! It sounds like you have a really strong bond with them, glad they can keep that stability.

robinh
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
:o Oh my, another foster flunky!

:D Congrats on the great new additions to the family. They knew they were home, sometimes it just takes us humans a little longer to figure things out.

luvofallhorses
03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Congrats :D they are hunks :)

Queen of Poop
03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Congrats on the new additions to the family. They are beautiful dogs!!

Lexi_Lover
03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
OZZY! So cute, and a good name too;) :p Good luck, I know they are getting a good home! With many more pranks from Mac, he's sure to keep you entertained!

CONGRATS! *More pictures for the happy news;)*

K9soul
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
OMGosh, yay!! I love those two! You know Glacier, I knew the first day you posted pics of your two new fosters they were home :D. Congratulations to you and the whole pack!! :D

Glacier
03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
! You know Glacier, I knew the first day you posted pics of your two new fosters they were home :D.

The first day they came to the shelter as 5 month old puppies, my husband was helping me take pictures of them. (I maintain the shelter website). As we left their kennel he sighed and said "you know they are going to end up at our place eventually, don't you?":p

We have a bit of a history with timid littermates!

Aspen and Misty
03-03-2005, 09:38 PM
WOW, I'm SOOOOOOOO shocked!! YOU keep a foster?? NEVER :p

They both are so cute, CONGRATS!

Ashley

anna_66
03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I just knew that they would be making their home with you;)

micki76
03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Great news! :D

They are both very handsome fellas, but I have to say that Ozzy has really stolen my heart!

AlleyCat
03-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Beautiful furkids! I'm glad you are making them a permanent part of your home, they will love you for it forever!

cyber-sibes
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I couldn't look into those eyes and break their hearts either! Congrats on makin it official!

Oggyflute
03-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
The first day they came to the shelter as 5 month old puppies, my husband was helping me take pictures of them. (I maintain the shelter website). As we left their kennel he sighed and said "you know they are going to end up at our place eventually, don't you?":p

We have a bit of a history with timid littermates!

Congrats :D

Corinna
03-04-2005, 12:51 AM
This is a surprize? I'm glad your keeping them, it's too hard to find homes for timid dogs. So now we have 2 teams of 10?

Glacier
03-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
This is a surprize? I'm glad your keeping them, it's too hard to find homes for timid dogs. So now we have 2 teams of 10?

Actually only 15 of them pull! Sleet and Preacher are retired. Goldie's front legs are deformed and pulling will only lead to shoulder problems sooner. Heyoka, well, he's sweet, but he's useless! I can't catch Delta to get a harness on him, but I will someday! Kayleigh is just too aggressive to risk running her in a team on a busy trail. She only skijors way back in the bush! One team of eight and one team of seven (Hobo has to run alone).

Corinna
03-04-2005, 01:01 AM
I love the reworked Iditarod site . The jr run was cool to watch them leave and finish.
I can't wait for the start of the big race. I have all the plugins on my computer so I can watch the startof the race. Planned to have nothing to do for that time period. Told family I'm personna non grata for that time.

delidog
03-04-2005, 03:47 AM
Congratulations on a New Dynamic Duo!!!

They are Both Beautiful!!!!!

Thanks for Saving them!!!!

Cincy'sMom
03-04-2005, 03:56 AM
Congratultions!! They are both handsome dogs!!

cloverfdx
03-04-2005, 04:00 AM
I knew it, i just knew those two Brothers were not going to be going anywhere. I am very happy for all involved, heres to many fun filled years to come.

:D

vinjashira
03-04-2005, 06:00 AM
congratulations :)

was interested to hear that you have a team of 7 with Hobo running alone, is it common to have a team with odd number? I guess the one running alone must be in the front.

RobiLee
03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Yay! This is wonderful news. Of course I think we already knew this from the start ;)

Congrats to all of you! Big hugs for Ozzy and Mac.

Robin :)

mruffruff
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Being a flunk out at fostering is a good thing. I should know!

Glad they're home to stay.

Mary

lute
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
WOW!!! what a shock!;)

it's great you are keeping them! they are sure to have a GREAT home!:D

Glacier
03-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by vinjashira
congratulations :)

was interested to hear that you have a team of 7 with Hobo running alone, is it common to have a team with odd number? I guess the one running alone must be in the front.

It's not that unusual. Usually it happens when a dog needs a ride home in the sled so his running buddy runs alone. In Hobo's case, it's because he's a psycho in harness. He gets so worked up and excited that he can't control himself and he will fight with the dog beside him. He's much happier running alone as are the other dogs who have to put up with him!

A single leader is unusual. Leading is very difficult and a high pressure job. Doing it alone adds even more stress to the job and not many dogs can handle it. Hobo runs alone in swing, one position behind the leaders.

slleipnir
03-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Congrats!! (I loooove Mac btw hehe)

ramanth
03-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Yay!! :D :D
Congrats to your foster failures. ;)

Dixieland Dancer
03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
What lucky pups! :D I wish you many happy and adventerous years together!! :D