PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a moment of silence for...

moosmom
03-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Bubba, the 22 pound lobster :eek: who died as a result of a move from a fish market to the Pittsburgh Zoo.

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - He spent decades dodging lobster pots, but in the end, Bubba was done in by a trip to the zoo.

The 22-pound lobster died yesterday at the Pittsburgh Zoo, about a day after he was moved there from a fish market.

Bubba died in a quarantine area of the zoo’s aquarium, where he was being checked out to see if he was healthy enough to travel to a Ripley’s Believe It or Not museum.

Experts will examine Bubba to try to figure out why he died, but the owner of the fish market thinks it had to do with the stress of the move. Bob Wholey says lobsters are “very finicky.”

Bubba had spent about a week at Wholey’s Market after being caught off the coast of Massachusetts.

Marine biologists estimate Bubba was 30 to 50 years old.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drawn butter anyone???? :D:D:D

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
For some reason this really made me mad. Had they left him alone, he'd still be alive! :eek:

GraciesMommy
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
You know that is really sad..

aly
03-03-2005, 02:24 PM
That is SO sad :( :( :(

I wish they had been more careful.

Gosh, I tear up every time I even see the lobsters in the lobster tank at the grocery store. This really makes me sad.

RICHARD
03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Moosmom....

And some crusty french bread and a Ceasar salad for me...:D

----------------------------

Poor Bubba!:(

caseysmom
03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
This really made me mad too, they should have put him back.

RedHedd
03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
This really made me mad too, they should have put him back. Me three. I heard his age estimated at over 100 years old. They should have just let him be to live out his long lobster life as Ma Nature intended.

davidpizzica
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been in Wholey's and they are usually good about this sort of thing. They are really a big and modern facility and probably did everything to keep Bubba alive. I, too mourn Bubba's passing.

moosmom
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Absolutely!! Any lobster over 2-3 pounds should be left in the ocean. I haven't had lobster in over 5 years when I got sick on one. Poor Bubba. If only they had left him in the ocean.

RIP Bubba.

davidpizzica
03-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Donna, although I said that Wholey's had the best facilities, You're right, Bubba should have left in the ocean where he belonged. R.I.P. Bubba!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Absolutely!! Any lobster over 2-3 pounds should be left in the ocean. I haven't had lobster in over 5 years when I got sick on one. Poor Bubba. If only they had left him in the ocean.

RIP Bubba.

How sad - poor Bubba :(

I also stopped eating lobster a few years back. Lobster Thermidor used to be my favourite food, now I can't bring myself to eat it. Same for Pate Foi Gras :(

sirrahbed
03-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Odd that I am feeling sad for a lobster - but reading this WAS sad. I just saw him on the news yesterday. I wish the fisherman had thrown him back in the ocean where he belongs....