PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Kitty Colds!

Lacey
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
If it's not one, it's the other!

Late last week, Zelda was all sneezy and snotty, and now that she's over it, Mowgli's started up with the coughing! And his throat must be bothering him too. The poor little guy sounds like he's almost got a case of laryngitis with his soft, hoarse little meows! :(

He's still all over the place, though, so he's not letting it keep him down! :D

Guess I'd better stop and pick up some wet food tonight so that he'll have something easy on the throat to eat for dinner. And I bet some ice cream would make a nice treat for all three of us! :p

val
03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Keep close watch over them. It sounds like upper respiratory infection. Make sure they are eating well as kitties go by their noses (smell) for their food and if they're stopped up they can't smell and don't want to eat. Soft catfood is smelly so they will hopefully be more inclined to eat it. It also helps to turn on a hot shower and put them in the bathroom with the door closed for awhile. And also watch their eyes for any runny ness. If there is, get with the vet to get an antibiotic ointment. Some vets put kitties with URI's on a liquid antibiotic to prevent secondary bacterial infections. I don't mean to sound scary with all of this but from fostering for animal control I have seen lots and lots of URI's. Keep us posted on their progress!

Lacey
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping a good eye on both babies, and... Well, let's just say I've got a pair of bottomless stomachs with feet and leave it at that.

No runny eyes, though when Zelda had it, she did have a runny nose for a day or so.

Now that Mowgli's got it, other than the cough and the wimpy meow, he acts like he feels fine. I wish I could bottle up some of his energy and sell it!

val
03-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Great news! It sounds like they're bouncing back quickly:) You must be a good nurse!

catmandu
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
So far.despite,the incredible cold spells,up here,the Found Cats,are not sneezing,and even,the Poor Strays ,seem,healthy,despite the Cold.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
We went the rounds with this in the fall. Leonardo started it off. Since he has allergies anyway, the vet just gave him medicine thinking it was his allergy. Then Luke got it. He had a temp of 105. He got a shot and got medicine too. When Chester came down with it, the vet sent extra medicine home so Grandma could take it. She was the only one who didn't get the cold. They are all fine now.

Hope yours feel all better soon too.:)

val
03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Glad to hear yours are all better too:) These URI's can be nasty and are soooo contagious. Extremely bad in shelters, animal control facilities and even breeders that have too many in too close quarters. Unfortunately, it's viral so other than preventing bacterial infections it pretty much has to run its course, just like in us humans:rolleyes: It's really tough to prevent when, like me, there are so many (9 of my own-I'm still working on the pictures) and a couple of fosters and always bringing sick ones home. Vaccinating helps but still will not always prevent it, depending on the strain of virus.
But with lots of TLC like y'all have been giving, your babies will be just fine:D

christa
03-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Ugh, nothing worse than a sick kitty!

When Brodie had his a few months ago, I felt soooo helpless!

One thing suggested to me (by QSA) is to give them L-Lysine. It does work great! I believe that it kept Josie from catching Brodie's URI!

val
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
L-lysine is a wonderful supplement and I've also used it successfully. Doesn't really work "overnight" tho. It really helps to build up the immune system. QSL's got the whole URI thing down pat:) :)