PDA

View Full Version : Sick Betta?

micki76
03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, I've checked all my favorite Betta sites and I'm still not sure what's wrong with Simon. :(

He's VERY lethargic and is basically staying on the floor of the tank. He comes up for surface air every so often, but isn't doing anything else. No reaction to the mirror or Theo (I thought maybe he was depressed), no obvious ick, doesn't appear 'gold flecked' under a flashlight so no velvet. His fins look pretty normal, but he's just SO inactive and pale. And he's not eating. He hasn't eaten since Monday morning. :(

I went ahead and treated with some ick/bacterial treatment and have turned off the filtration for now, since I also thought maybe the currents from the filter were stressing him out.

I just don't know what's wrong with him. Please keep little Simon in your thoughts. :(

aly
03-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I will be praying for sweet Simon :(

Are there any fish specialty stores near you that you can call for advice?

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
When was the last time you cleaned his water? Did you remember to use chlorine remover? (a "duh" question, I know but I have to ask)

Is he bloated or swimming funny? (sideways, upside down, etc)

micki76
03-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
When was the last time you cleaned his water? Did you remember to use chlorine remover? (a "duh" question, I know but I have to ask)

Is he bloated or swimming funny? (sideways, upside down, etc)

I just got him and Theo on Saturday. They're in completely separate tanks. Theo was puney (sp?) at first, but he's a live wire now.

Yep, I treated the water ahead of time in a clean 1 gallon jug that used to hold bottled water.

Not bloated, not swimming funny, actually not swimming at all. He just goes to the top for air, and then goes back to the same spot in the gravel. :(

Uabassoon
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Have you done a water change at all yet? Since the tanks are small they need to be changed every 3-4 days.

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Doesn't sound good. It almost sounds to me like he may have a bacterial infection. I use Maracyn 2 for mine when they get sick, but then again, I have monster fishies...not delicate little bettas. :D I wouldn't be able to tell you how much of it to use.

Have you tried cleaning out the tank really well, and adding a bit of aquarium salt?

Looking up betta diseases, this is what I came up with:

GENERAL INFO: If the betta‘s water becomes fouled with uneaten food and fish waste, if it is not well filtered or if the jars are not kept sparkling clean, then bacterial bloom will occur. Bettas with a deficient immune system (when a betta is stressed, because it was scared, or moved or shipped, etc… its immune system will become deficient) will catch whatever is lurking in the water, including the bacterias. They will have a “bacterial infection”. VERY CONTAGIOUS!!

SYMPTOMS: Betta may have clamped fins, lay at bottom or at surface, not eat, lose its color, turn gray, barely swim around. In more advanced cases, its body may start developing red patches, open sores and all kinds of nasty looking stuff. (Even holes in its head!! YIKES!!)
TREATMENT: Do a full water change for jars or a 70% water change for tanks. (To get rid of some of the bacteria present). Clean filter, change filtering system, remove any uneaten food rotting, or any dead fish!!! Salt kills bacteria, so there again, adding salt would be beneficial: Add AQUARIUM salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) (and NOT table salt, duh!!) immediately. Isolate any bettas with symptoms if in a community tank.
You should also treat the whole tank. There is a wide variety of antibiotics available for fish. REMEMBER: if the carbon in your filter is less then a week old, remove it!! The carbon would otherwise absorb all the medication and you would be flushing your money down the tube. Oh, and did I mention money?? Yes, brace yourself, cause your little fishies are gonna cost you a bundle, medication can get pretty darn expensive!!

If the sick bettas are small fries, I truly recommend using Tetracyclin. It has never let me down before. If older, you might try Tetracyclin, or Marcacyn I and II combined, or whatever you find at your store. Go for “broad spectrum” antibiotics, though. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and don’t stop the treatment until your bettas are well again. If betta is jarred, then as usual, figure out how much water your jar contains and divide the quantity of medication accordingly. Capsules are easier then tablets, because one can open a capsule and just sprinkle a tiny itsy bit of powder in jar. Tables, you will have to first crush, then divide. Well, have a blast!!! Oh, and did I mention that both Methylen Blue or Maroxy are very efficient bacteria killers? They seem to prevent the blooming of bacteria and often, if the infection is mild, a simple srop of either of these two products will cure betta. Further more they are INEXPENSIVE (yep, I figured you would like that part!! :)) )

I honestly don't know if this will help your fishie or not, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

micki76
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Have you done a water change at all yet? Since the tanks are small they need to be changed every 3-4 days.

No, I actually have filtration systems set up so that I can go longer (they're both in 1 gallon tanks). I checked my PH and ammonia levels and all are fine. :confused:

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Bettas are not really dirty fish like goldfish. If you have adequate filtration, you can probably go a week without cleaning his tank. Just be sure to remove any uneaten food after a few minutes. :)

Uabassoon
03-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Since I know nothing about bettas, other than feed them and change their water. Check out this site, they have a betta section. I go there a lot with questions about my African Dwarf Frogs.

Flippers 'n' Fins (http://p076.ezboard.com/bflippersnfins)

micki76
03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks!

chrissycat21
03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Try fishforums.net

I would buy some betta max, I beleive that is what I bought and it basicly clears anything wrong up. Sushi had ick and some other sort of fungus, it was gone within a week.

I hope Simon gets better soon!

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 10:27 PM
How is he, Micki?

micki76
03-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
How is he, Micki?

I just created a new thread! :p Thanks for thinking of him. He seems to be doing a LOT better. :)

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Good. :) I hope he continues getting better. Diagnosing and treating fish is so tough on them and us. ;)

ramanth
03-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I hope he's doing better. Jango started getting lethargic a few months before he passed away. He looked fine otherwise so I chalked it up to old age.