PDA

View Full Version : Poor Duke: Infected Ear

dukedogsmom
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Poor Duke has had problems with an itchy and now infected ear since before my vacation the middle of January. On the first vet trip, they could find nothing. Ear got worse and we make another vet visit. This time they found a little bit of gunk and gave me some ear drops to be used twice a day. That worked great but the minute I stopped using it, he started itching and shaking his head. So, I called the vet and went and picked up a different ear drop to try. It didn't work and possibly made it worse. So, today was the third visit and hopefully the last. It's been around $250 now. Duke is worth it and more but it really makes your wallet hurt. So, today he got his ear cleaned out and some more of the first ear drops. I'm just going to keep him on them. I'll be so glad when he feels better. That ear has been hanging down for over a month now. He's been shaking his head almost constantly. I've also got some good ear wash that I'm to use every day for a week. Duke gets so nervous when he's at the vet. I've enclosed a video of him shaking. Here's a few pics taken after the vet visit.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_4.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_5.jpg
See the ear on the left? That's the one that hurts so bad. He had to be muzzled today. Last time when they took a sample without one, he kind of snapped at the vet, which is certainly understandable.
I was asking Duke about Simba in this one.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_6.jpg
3 more pics....

dukedogsmom
03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I love this fountain downtown.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_7.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_8.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_9.jpg
That's all.

tatsxxx11
03-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Oh Val! What precious, precious pictures of Duke! What a photogenic pup he is:):):) I loved this shot most of all!

http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/030205_4.jpg

Sorry to hear about Duke's ear issues, Val. They can be so hard to treat:( I have to say, the video brought me to tears!:( It's so hard to see them so scared! But I'll bet he's feeling lots better now!:) Hopefully this time, this medication, will be the charm! Feel better soon, Duke! Lots of hugs and kisses to you, sweetheat!:)

micki76
03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
So, today was the third visit and hopefully the last. It's been around $250 now. Duke is worth it and more but it really makes your wallet hurt.

Yes, it does. And it's frustrating when the vet doesn't just do what you want them to do in the first place, like give you the original drops that you knew worked.

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I've enclosed a video of him shaking.

Awww, poor Duke. He really doesn't like the vet does he? Millie shakes like that no matter where we take her, but Chester likes to go to the vet. But then he's spent a LOT of time there! :rolleyes:

Hope Duke's ear feels better soon!

chocolatepuppy
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Duke is such a handsome boy, what an adorable face! Sorry to hear his ear is hurting.:( I think my Mandy was born with an ear infection in her right ear! Everytime it seemed better, next day it was back. She was even taking oral antibiotics and antibiotics that went in her ear. I felt so bad for her! After the last one, months ago, my vet told me to try mixing 1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 white vinegar and using a baby wipe which of course you wring out. She said not to use it while she had the infection. And thank goodness no more ear infections*knocks on wood* I wouldn't tell anyone to try it without their vets advice, of course.
I hope Duke is feeling better soon.

PJ's Mom
03-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh Duke. I'm sorry you have a boo boo ear. :( Peej shakes just like that when he goes to the doctor, too. It's a horrible place to go.

Get better soon, big boy.

cyber-sibes
03-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Duke always has the best smile on his face! Hope he feels better soon....at least, before you go broke!

K9soul
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Oh sweet Duke, poor boy you looked so stressed at the vet's office. But the pictures show that beautiful smile again that I so love to see. I agree, that first shot is stunning especially! He looks so young and handsome there. Tasha and Tommy just went for their shots and checkup yesterday. Tommy got pretty relaxed after a bit but Tasha was trying to cram under my chair, trembling too. I hope his ear gets better soon. Willie used to get ear infections from time to time too, it was an external infection, always in the same ear. He'd scratch at it and rub it too. Made it harder to get better!

LorraineO
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
awwwwwwwwww.... give the poor baby a big hug.....

anna_66
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Awww Duke:( I'm so sorry you had to go back to the vets again. It sure looks like it's no fun for you. Hopefully these drops will get you feeling better again real soon.
{{{HUGS}}} to you sweet boy.

sammy101
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
aww poor duke:( I hope he gets better soon!He's sure is handsome!Give him a kiss on the nose for me:)

shutterbug0303
03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow! Duke pictures! Its been a long time since I've seen photos of that boy...and that movie! I agree...that is a tear-jerker! Poor boy is so scared to go to the vet. Hopefully that will be the last visit for that nasty ear infection! That waterfountain is beautiful and made the perfect background for such a handsome boy! Thanks for posting some pics...give that boy a hug and get him all better! :D

caseysmom
03-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Casey always shakes her ears a lot after we go to the beach...I know your in Florida...has he been to the beach much??

stacwase
03-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Get well soon, Dukedog! You look very nice in your pictures.

cloverfdx
03-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Oh no poor Duke :(, i hope the drops kick in fast and that the sweety feels better soon. Those photos are stunning Val, Duke is such a handsome boy.

Get well {{Hugs}} for Duke.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
AWWW
Poor Duke...

He is such a handsome boy.. he is so cute.. you would never knew his little ear hurt him from that big smile.

I hope his ear is better soon.. it is so hard to see them uncomfortable and in pain...

*kisses* for Duke!

Lilith Cherry
03-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Awww Duke! You are the most cuddlesome dog! I do hope your ear gets better reaaly soon and you and your mommy both feel better!

trayi52
03-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Duke, you handsome boy, I hope you get well soon and find some relief for that ear.

Val, Duke is so precious and so handsome and well mannered! I loved the watching him on the video, he is a great companion.

Willie:)

Jadapit
03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Awwww I'm sorry Duke is having problems with his ear. Poor guy.:( He is one handsome dog. I love the picture of him by the fountain. Beautiful.

ChrisH
03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Poor Duke. :( Hope you are feeling better soon sweetie.

Val, thanks for sharing those great pictures of your handsome boy. I especially like the first one. :D

jenfer
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I hope Duke will feel better soon. Does he let you put drops in his ear? I think Gigi will not let me do it.

Holly's mom
03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh, poor Duke! I hope he feels better soon! I felt so sorry for him shaking like that at the vet's. Holly does that, too.

Dogz
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Aww, poor Duke. I hope that his ear infection goes away soon.

Adorable pictures, Val. Duke is such a handsome boy.

MariaM
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Poor Duke! I hope his ear gets better soon.. :(

He looks wonderful in all of his pictures though. Thanks for posting. I will look at the video in a bit. :)

K9karen
03-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Klo is heartbroken that her boyfriend has a boo-boo ear! :( She hates the vet too and has to be muzzled so she totally understands and loves her Dukie even more! Klo sends licks and sniffs and all her love to her sweetie!

RobiLee
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Aww, Duke. I hate hearing about this. I hope your ear is much better today.

Hugs....Robin :)

dukedogsmom
03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks so much for all the well wishes. Duke still wasn't doing well yesterday so I called the vet this morning and got some medicine similar to penicillin to rid him of infection. His ear was very hot and still red. It seemed a little cooler today and I just gave him his first pill. So, the total for the past visit with his Rimadyl(hip pain) and the other medication was $180. They were nice enough to let me split up the payments. I also bought his canned food which was $30. So, if this doesn't get him well, I may be standing by the side of the road with a sign that says "Will work for payment of vet bill".
K9karen: Duke loved the fact that he got some attention from Klo. He asked me to send some kisses and snuggles right back to her.

Glacier
03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I hope sweet Duke is feeling better soon!