PDA

View Full Version : Change our adopted kitty's name? a Poll

LauraT7
03-02-2005, 12:11 AM
In january we adopted a stray orange and white kitty - we had never had a cat before, and initially, we couldn't think of a name for him.

a Few years ago, we adopted a rescue golden/ Chessie mix named Tristan. We kept the name he came with, first, he was used to it already, we liked it because it was unusual, and it occured to us that it must be fate - because all of my dogs (the last 4 out of 5) have had names starting with 'T' - not deliberately, it just worked out that way.

In keeping with the 'T' theme, we came up with "Teal'c" as a name for the kitty. But it just doesn't seem to fit him - for one thing, while he was initially as inscrutable as the TV character, Teal'c, from Stargate SG1 - as he has bonded with us, we find that our little kitty is NOT 'inscrutable at all - in fact, he's quite an affectionate, vocal, and comic character!

Tristan had Lymphoma, and he passed away on Jan 24. Though we miss him, we KNEW we would be getting another dog, and last week, we adopted 2 yr old 'Fizz'. Again, it's unusual, she knows it, responds to it, & I don't think we are gonna change it. But there goes the 'T' theme. ( not that it really matters, anyway - it wasn't on purpose, except for coming up with 'Teal'c')

One of my favorite Authors is Robert Heinlein. Sci-Fi. And he wrote a book called 'The Cat Who Walks Thru Walls' - The Cat, "Pixel" appears in a few of his stories, and has the unusual ability to literally 'walk thru walls' (including the skin of a spaceship) and appear wherever and whenever he chooses, simply because as a young cat, he believes he CAN, and nobody has ever told him otherwise. Pixel 'chose' his people, and because they are involved in a dangerous profession, (time travel) he often shows up unexpectedly.

Our little Christmas kitty (who first showed up in the garage on Christmas Eve) was coaxed into our house on a below zero night. Though he is young, he was obviously used to living outside and my original intent was to simply offer him the shelter of our garage. We were dealing with Tristan's illness, and were not intending to 'adopt' a cat - since we didn't have a litter box, or even cat food (he'd been stealing dogfood and we'd left scraps & water in the garage for him) we would let him 'out' to go potty, but then he would 'magically' re-appear in the house. it took us about a week to catch him using the dog door to get back in! A trick he'd taught himself !

So in two months, he's gone from stray, possibly feral, to being a pampered kitty that CAN go outside, bathrooms outside, but mostly stays inside where it's warm, and he has food, playmates, belly scratches, and lots of safe, warm places to hide, sleep, and watch the world.

the only drawback is that Great furry beast, Fizz, that we brought in last week - but he's getting over that.

so my question is, for our little kitty, (who doesn't really 'know' ANY name, and doesn't respond to anything, anyway, except, maybe, "kitty" and the sound of a pop-top can of food...)

Which name should he have?

1. Teal'c?

2. Pixel?

3. Something else? ( suggestions? )

To help you decide, here's a link to his photo album

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/

and a photo of him keeping me company while I'm online.....

laura

jazzcat
03-02-2005, 12:39 AM
I voted for Pixel.

He's a beautiful kitty.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-02-2005, 04:05 AM
I voted for Pixel too!

Vette
03-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Same here. i like the sound of Pixel. :D

Laura's Babies
03-02-2005, 06:06 AM
I didn't vote for either, he just don't look like either to me... Might I suggest Palinka? Pronounced Pa-lin-ka... I love that name for a cat and to me it looks like it fits him better....

stacwase
03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Of the two, I like Pixel. It's a very nice name and the character sounds neat too.

I was thinking - you got him on Christmas. Remember that song, I don't know the name of it but it started out "My name is Christmas Carol, I was born on Christmas Day." It was a song about an orphan. And your kitty was an orphan, but it's a boy, so how about "Christmas Carl" and you could just call him "Carl."

I'll bet nobody has a cat named "Carl."

Cosmicat
03-02-2005, 07:18 AM
he is cute!
How about Pipin?

Logan
03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
I like Carl too!!! :)

GraciesMommy
03-02-2005, 07:27 AM
First thought I had were Dreamsicle because of her coloring..or Sorbet or Sherbert

RedHedd
03-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I like Pippin! Pixel reminds me of Randi's Pixel and your orangie just doesn't look like a Pixel to me.

PS the link you posted to the Imagestation album took me to MY album.

Soapets
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
I voted for Pixel, because I liked that one better than Teal'c. But I like Sherbert better, as someone else suggested---because of his coloring. He kind of looks like a "Sherbert" to me!:)

Soapets
03-02-2005, 09:49 PM
I just thought of two more possible names: "Tony" (like in Tony the Tiger); or Leo (like Leo the Lion); but I think I still like Sherbert better.:rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Sherbert is cute! :D

I voted for Pixel, though. ;)

christa
03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
How about Sim? ;)

LauraT7
03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
I kinda like "pippin" but I also like 'pixel' - I'll have to ask my son what he thinks when he gets up in the morning.

Jon loves "lord of the Rings' and isn't one of the hobbits named Pippin? the one who always gets in trouble by being too curious?

"sherbert' is cute, but somehow it just doesn't 'fit' either.

He's not a very big Cat, and being 'cat' personality, I kind of doubt he's going to answer to anything but 'kitty' and the smell or rattle of food - for awhile anyway!LOL!

do cats actually come when you call their names? or do some of them just 'humor' their people?

I had to smile at the suggestion of 'Carl' -

though I've never heard that song, It's a good idea -
Except that I'd been calling him 'Christmas Kitty' in my mind for the first month or so - I first thought of calling him that - 'Chris' for short

but it would be kind of confusing -

see, my son has these 3 friends, all brothers, who spend alot of time down here. We're close friends with the whole family, the two younger ones are in my son's scout troop, and sometimes they feel like they are ALL 'my' boys. The oldest boy is Carl (17), the middle one is Geoffrey(15), and the youngest is Chris (14).

So naming the cat 'Chris' or 'Carl' could be confusing.

Besides, he just doesn't 'look' like an ordinary 'human' name would fit him.

Laura