PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull Ban in Ontario, Canada

Kosmo&Cuddles
03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi All!! Just wanted to post this thread because I'm quite upset. They passed a Pit Bull Ban in Ontario today. So now everytime I take Kosmo for a walk or anywhere in public he has to be muzzled. All Pit Bull owner's can keep there dog but you cannot get a new one, and all the pitties that are at the SPCA's will be euthenized (spelling??). I'm going to have to look into the ban to see if we need to neuter the animals. If so Kosmo will have to be neutered at 6 years old...not good. Anywho it's very upsetting for pittie owners, since I truly believe that it's not the breed but bad ownership. Well I just needed to vent!! I'll take more cute photos of Kosmo soon and post them.

sammy101
03-01-2005, 08:39 PM
oh im sorry:( That ban is so horrible:mad: :( I beleive all Pitbulls have to be spayed and neutered,so Cosmo is going to have to be neutered.The government doesnt want any new pits in their province:mad:
What kind muzzle does he have to wear?

LorraineO
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I am ashamed to be Canadian right now!!!! GAWD!!:eek: :(

wolfsoul
03-01-2005, 08:49 PM
There is a thread about this in the dog house as well.

Yes, he will have to be neutered -- all dogs which they call "pit bulls" (which really is stupid since alot of them only somewhat resemble pit bulls) have to be altered. 6 years is no big deal -- dogs can be neutered without any problems at any age.

It really is an unfortunate judgement on Ontario's part. I'm very dissapointed with some of the decisions that have been made in alot of places when it comes to BSLs. And I'm very ashamed to live in a country that always claims to be the most peaceful country. Peace doesn't come with racism, and it doesn't come with breedism.

Adopt_One
03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
:( So sad... I'm sorry all of you loving pit bull owners in Ontario... and I'm sorry to all the shelter dogs that will be put to sleep because of human selfishness and irrational fears.... so sorry. :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
This whole thing is ridiculous!:(:mad::( I'm also very sorry for all of you living in Ontario with pits and to those of you who want to get one. I can't believe they actually went through with it:( I wish they'd jsut lock all they people that have ruined the dogs in jail so people could live a normal life with their dogs...

Lilith Cherry
03-02-2005, 02:28 AM
Dont buy a muzzle yet!! this law has not been signed yet by the Governer General andit will not be law until then. There will be several lawsuits against it too .. Constititutional rights are at issue here ( see the thread in"Dog house") So stand up and be counted as being against this travesty of justice! The Liberal governments are just a bunch lying cheating promise breakers and I hope they will drummed out at the next election
:mad: :mad: :mad:

stacwase
03-02-2005, 05:35 AM
You know - rather than banning certain breeds of dogs, they should pass more rules regarding the owners. If a person has a pit bull, rottweiler, or other "disreputable" breed and it bites somebody or attacks another dog, that person have to go to court to determine whether or not they can ever have another dog.

What do you think about that? Generally, the kind of trashy a-holes who train dogs to be aggressive and who are irresponsible dog owners tend to get pit bulls & rottweilers. Like that guy whos dog attacked Gonzo, for example. He should be permanently banned from owning a dog.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-02-2005, 06:35 AM
I agree with you!! It is NOT the breed which is bad; it is some OWNERS who raise their dog in a wrong way!!! Argh..... I understand why you are so dissapointed!!

Pit Chick
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
This really blows. I hope the Ontario Pit Bull owners continue to fight this from being signed by the Governer General.

And to K&C, Kosmo isn't too old to be neutered so you still might want to get it done before it officially becomes law. He's only middle aged at 6 years old so he'll still bounce back pretty good from surgery.

melandchico
03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
The whole thing makes me want to cry. I do not believe it is the breed It is the owners. Any breed is capable of attacking, doesn't matter it's size either. I hate the whole situation, Pit Bulls are such beautiful loving dogs (if raised properly)

Suki Wingy
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
OMG!!!!! Stupid idiots who don't do research!! They aren't much different then the person Gracie's Mommy was talking about. They make a major decision without looking at the whole picture.:mad: :( :mad: :( :eek: :eek:
Are you going to move?!? I would pack up and start driving, live out of my car before be forsed to muzzle my dog whenever we leave the house, what hummiliation! :mad: Soon our pitties will be banned from the whole world! AGHHHH What kind of a world would that be!?!:(

wolfsoul
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
You know - rather than banning certain breeds of dogs, they should pass more rules regarding the owners. If a person has a pit bull, rottweiler, or other "disreputable" breed and it bites somebody or attacks another dog, that person have to go to court to determine whether or not they can ever have another dog.

I agree. However, the man who is responsible for this law doesn't think this way. He has outright said that he thinks pit bulls are inherently vicious; that no matter what they eventually turn. Obviously he hasn't looked into statistics. He should not be in politics.

Jods
03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
:( :( :( a sad day today :( :( :(

Lilith Cherry
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
The Politicians were presented with all the statistics and given opinions from dozens of experts on canine behaviour etc. They refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them! Michael Bryant is a closed minded idiot and should never be a position where he can do things like this!

Kevin Farmer
03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Bad deal, hopefully it won't get signed talked it over with Maximus and he said they can kiss his Pit Bull rear end

Pit Chick
03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
That sounds like something a sassy mouthed Pit Bull would say ;)

Michael Bryant is a complete dumba$$! My oldest Pit is almost 6 years old and I'm still waiting for her to turn on me. :rolleyes:

Lexi_Lover
03-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I know, I almost cried this morning because there are SO many good breeders out there in Ontario, and I really wanted to adopt one if I moved out. But now, as I type this, they are euthanizing pitties at the OHS:(:(:(

Lexi_Lover
03-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Here is just 1 of the many adorable and NICE pitties at the shelter that is probably gone now:( I wish there was something more I could do:(I guess I shall post a tribute, she was such a wonderful pup:(

Tweety_Pie
03-02-2005, 06:22 PM
hey Lexi_Lover, do you live in Ottawa? That pittie is at the humane society here (i live in Ottawa )

I just checked out the OHS website and she is still there. Who could PTS such a gorgeous face. It makes me ashamed to live here:(

Kosmo&Cuddles
03-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I guess all that we can do now is hope that it doesn't get signed. I'm hoping very much that it doesn't. In the future my husband and I wanted to get another pittie. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The photo that Lexi_Lover posted looks just like my Kosmo when we first got him. Same markings...heheheh

misterduke
03-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Like the thread I posted in Dog House, I am sadden today regarding this ban.

I had never been around a Pit Bull until I met Kosmo, Kosmo&Cuddles's baby. I met the sweetest thing. He was a bigger baby than my Duke. People get blinders on when they see a "fearful" dog. They should get to know them, each dog has their personalities. Like when you meet someone new at work or through a friend, you hand out your hand and introduce yourself, hand out your hand and shake a Paw. It will change your mind. Trust me. I instroduced myself to Kosmo and he's the best nephew you can ask for.

Dominique

luvofallhorses
03-03-2005, 11:00 AM
:( :( This is so sad. I feel so sorry for people in Ontario wanting a pit or planning on adopting one. This law is stupid :mad: They should punish the owners not the pits. I want a pit bull someday. But I feel so sad for all of you in ontario:( Kosmo&Cuddles, Like someone said don't put a muzzle on him yet, the law hasn't been passed. This is just so ignorant of the government. Innocent animals are going to lose their lives because of people's stupidity. If the government would look into it, pits are sweet dogs. Punish the deed not the breed! :(