PDA

View Full Version : Lucky & Chance - Sad/Good News

aly
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, just typing the subject of this thread has me in tears so this won't be a long update.

My boys will be going for a "trial run" at someone's home on Friday. They are nice people so far. Trust me, I've tried HARD to find something wrong with them but I couldn't.

I'm close to hysterics every time I think about this. They've been with me for so long. I wish that I could have kept them or that a PTer could have taken them. They are some of the most special cats I have ever met. I am truly crushed right now. I know in my heart that that is what is right though. I can't provide for this many cats on a permanent basis and I always knew that I couldn't keep them, they were only fosters. The more fosters of mine that get adopted, the more homeless, sick, or dying animals I can help. At times like this though, I just don't know how much more I can do. These horrible thoughts keep going through my head. What if the people let them outside (even though they told me they want indoor only cats)? What if they take them to a shelter (even though I told them several times I will take them back ANYTIME if it doesn't work out)? What if they eat cats or something? :( My god I'm going crazy.

I can literally feel my heart breaking into a thousand pieces. Please pray for my boys. They probably don't need prayers though. They'll be in a home together and they are very adjustable and happy cats. They even like going to to vet. Also, the people live about a mile away from me, so I guess that is good.

:(

emily_the_spoiled
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I am sorry about Lucky and Chance. I know that you loved (we certainly did), but now they can be spoiled rotten by their new guardians. Is there anyway you could go visit them just to make sure they are doing okay??

Denyce
03-01-2005, 03:11 PM
You really are doing the right thing for them Aly even though your heart is breaking right now. I have been in love with Lucky and Chance since you first posted pictures of them. If there was any way I could have taken them I would have. My first cat Smokey had the same coloring pattern they do and that always touches my heart.

You have loved and cared for these two so much. Without you they wouldn't be getting this opportunity now. And like you said..they are only a mile away.

I do understand however. There was a little 7 oz kitten that I found one cold icy day here at my work....I gave him only 3 days later to a woman that I KNEW would be able to take care of him properly and would give little Harley the home he deseverd and I STILL bawled for days. Some just really touch our hearts more than others.

*big cyber hugs*

Denyce

aly
03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks, guys. Ever since I posted this now, I just can't stop crying. I hate this, and playing the waiting game isn't helping. I'll be dropping them off on Friday and hope to spend some time at their house talking to the people more. I'm sure Lucky and Chance will have no problem at all adjusting. I think I'll be the only one having problems adjusting :( I just pray I'm doing the right thing.

http://rescuedpaws.com/ipw-web/gallery/albums/luckychance/luckychance6_001.jpg

jazzcat
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Oh Aly, I don't know what to say. Part of me wants to cry don't let them go. I have no right to say anthing and I want to give you my full support in your decision. This may be their big chance for the perfect forever home.

My heart is breaking knowing that my baked bean boy is leaving. Any hope that they might want to join PT for updates or at least send you pictures and updates? Wah!!!

Please give them big huge hugs and kisses for me. I'm so sorry, I wished they were coming here to me.:( I wished we lived closer to each other.:(

(((HUGS)))

caseysmom
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Fostering must be very difficult Aly, what a great thing you have done for those kitties.

catnapper
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Good luck Lucky and Chance... this is the part of fostering I hate - the falling in love with them and having to let them go. I know, as I just left one go last Friday that I was totally in love with. It does help knowing they are going to a wonderful new home where they will be loved and adored forever.

catmandu
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I know,that you will miss Lucky,and Chance,but like The Mother Bird,sometimes,you have to let them go solo,so you can help,the next generation,of Cats,who need your love,and TLC.

Laura's Babies
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I know exactly what you are going through. I cried all the first day Wally and Marty were gone although I know they will be fine... You just fall in love, it is just that simple and heartbreaking..

QueenScoopalot
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Letting go is one of the hardest parts of fostering, but providing you did a background check via their vet etc. please take it easy on yourself. I consider myself a stepping stone for the ones I rescue, and sometimes get very attached to many of them, but as you and I know, it makes more room for other kitties in need, and there's a never ending supply of them. The only ones I hang onto are special needs kitties, though I'm at my limit and then some. It would be wonderful if Lucky & Chance's new people join PT so everyone can have updates. ((((HUGS)))) It's a tough letting go. :(

Uabassoon
03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Aly you don't need to pray that you are doing the right thing, because you always do. What you are doing isn't right, it's amazing! You have helped so many wonderful pets find amazing furever homes. For every one that is placed you save another. I can't even imagine doing everything that you do. You are truly wonderful and I'm proud and honored to call you my friend. I also know that you have great judgement and if you think this home is good then I'm sure they are nothing less than perfect.

kuhio98
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes, please give them pet talk's web address. We would all love to keep in touch with these babies.

jenluckenbach
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Letting go is SO hard....I know. And the longer they stay with you, the more like family they feel. And feeling sad is only human, we would not blame you for that. You simply have to TRUST that the boys will be fine and so will you.

rg_girlca
03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I can only imagine how your heart must be breaking right now, as you have had Lucky & Chance for quite some time now. But you are doing the right thing.
It's good that you will be able to see them in their new home.
When I adopted Katie from a foster home, the woman let me know clearly that she would be calling me for updates and that she would unexpectedly drop in to see how she was doing and asked me if I had a problem with that. I clearly let her know that I didn't. She did call me about 3-4 times and popped in twice and saw for herself how well Katie was doing in her new home. Maybe you can mention this to the woman and see how she reacts to it.

Wishing you all the best Lucky and Chance, in your new forever home.

Christiansmommy
03-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Will they keep in touch thru email? I did that with Guinness' foster mom, and I know she loved getting pics...Hopefully, they can keep in touch, so you can keep up on them....and I am sure you did already...but let them know, if for any reason, whatsoever, they needed to rehome them, that you would take them back as a first option...i am sure they will be happy...being together... :)

shais_mom
03-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I can't imagine what you are going thru as I don't foster but I know you love these babies as you're own. I am sorry you're heart is breaking, Aly, but I think that from what you said in chat these people sound perfect.
Hugs to all of the crew!

Barbara
03-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Oh I am with Lori- I think the both of us would have been so happy if we could have adopted these wonderful boys.

But I am sure you picked the right home for them.

And when you bring them over you will know whether they'll be ok. Both families, Tigris' and Filou's came over to look at us like hawks when we adopted them and I thought that was ok.

1000 kisses to Lucky and Chance. {{{{{Hugs}}}}} to you!

ramanth
03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
*HUGS*

I can only imagine how hard it is to let go. I don't think I could ever have the strength you have. *HUGS*

aly
03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I have to admit I can't read the replies too closely yet because I don't want to break down into hysterics again. I know these comments will help me so much on Friday night though. I'll come back and read them after I drop the boys off :( Oh crap here come the tears again.

This is going to go down as one of my hardest adoptions yet. I always cry and carry on when my fosters get adopted, but these boys have been with me the longest by far. They are also just so special.

Barbara, I REALLY wish you or Lori could have taken them too. That was one of my biggest hopes. But I know you're too far away .. or else the boys would have had you wrapped around their paws long ago! :) I wished that you guys could just even meet them once and see how special they are. There is something about them that I can't explain over the internet. They've got some kitty magic and they make people very happy. Even when Chance was sick, he would do something funny at the vet office and make everyone laugh. I still remember the first time he got sick and I had to drop him off for an hour so they could keep him on an ice pack to reduce his fever. I came back and there were 6 vet techs crowded around him giggling and wishing they could take him home :)

Vio&Juni
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Aly, let's hope these people are good people and they will take care of these two handsome boys just like you did all this time.

Kater
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Aly, you are in my thoughts. I know you have grown very attached to these sweet brothers. :(
We know how careful you are about potential adopters...and I bet these people will be wonderful to Lucky and Chance. Just remember how quickly this twosome had you wrapped around their little pawsies...and know that this will happen to these people as well! Lucky and Chance are meant to be spoiled and you must know that it will happen for them. :)

aly
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks again everyone. Your words were all too kind. I am not doing well with this situation at all, and you guys are all so nice with what you said. I actually didn't take them to their new home yesterday, I did it today (2 hours ago). The heartache is still so fresh and I feel like I'm going to lose my sanity. It doesn't really help that I'm alone. My boyfriend is at work :( I tried to take some pictures, but they didn't come out well. I've been such a wreck that it has been hard for me to do anything. I wish I wasn't so emotional. Sometimes I wish I didn't care about people or animals because it is always hurting me so bad. Of course that won't happen, but .. you know :( Ugh.

The boys didn't take immediately to their new home like I had hoped. Totally normal cat behavior, but with those two, well I just thought they'd do a bit better. Lucky was crying under the bed and would only come out for me. He kept running away from his new owners. Chance was walking around more, but he was crying and scared too. It was very distressing for me even though it was completely normal. The people were very nice and I offered to catsit for them if they ever need it. I'll probably stop in and see them in a couple weeks and then I'll back off.

jazzcat
03-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh Aly (((((HUGS))). I bet that was so hard for you. Knowing what well adjusted cats Chance and Lucky are I'm sure they will come around quickly.

I'll keep them and you in my prayers. Hang in there sweetie.

wolf_Q
03-05-2005, 11:21 PM
{{{{HUGS}}}} Aly, I know this has to be so heartbreaking for you. I'm really sad too, I hope we will still at least get updates on them. :( I would have taken them in a heartbeat if I could, I know they are such special guys.

zippy-kat
03-05-2005, 11:24 PM
:( :)

{{hugs}}

I'm here if you need to talk, Aly.

Barbara
03-06-2005, 05:00 AM
*takes a deep breath*-I am so happy they at least have each other. I am sure after a first night it will already be better for them.
Lets hold our hands while we think of them:)

jenluckenbach
03-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Oh Aly, you know you are correct in saying that their behavior is totally normal. Once fosters adjust to OUR home we automatically forget that they were once shy here, too. and, that change, is often hard for them but they are resilient. They will adjust. The love and trust we gave them will win out in the end.

catcrazylady
03-06-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm just now seeing this and I'm kind of sorry I did.:( I know how hard this has to have been for you Aly. I'm sure that Lucky and Chance will have a wonderful home. Since you live so close you will be able to check in on them now and then. My guess is that this is harder on you than it is on them. They have probably already adjusted and are doing fine.
Keep us posted on what you hear about them ok?

aly
03-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys. I hope no one thinks I'm being a whiney baby about this. Its just that they were with me for so long. I mean it was just way too long. I know I was stupid in not actively finding them a home sooner. I was just holding onto the dream that a PTer would want them so I wouldn't feel like they were totally out of my life.

I'm still taking it pretty rough. Along with a few other things that happened this weekend, it has been very very very very very hard.

I did email the new owners today. I wanted to give them a couple days before I checked on them. She only wrote me back with a couple sentences so I was really disappointed about that. But she said they're doing okay. She said Chance already acts like he rules the apartment but Lucky is still too afraid to come out of the room where he's hiding under the bed :( :( :( :( :( My heart is just breaking for Lucky. I know its totally normal, but he's never been timid like that. He is such an easy-going cat who loves everyone and nothing seemed to ever phase him. My heart is so heavy because I feel like I did this to him and I can't even be there to help him. I am going to email them back and ask that if he doesn't come out by tomorrow night, that they allow me to come over so I can coax him out and see if I can get him eating and playing like his normal self.

Thanks again everyone for all your support.

Barbara
03-08-2005, 02:53 AM
I am glad to hear from L+C. And I think it is a good result that Chance already is out and about. He will help his brother too:)

Oh I wish I could have taken them but going from Texas to here would have been such an ordeal. And what if it hadn't worked out with mine. Filou is not a very welcoming cat and he already starts to act it out (like peeing in the laundry basket) when my mom's dog comes for a visit- and she is a very good doggie:(

aly
03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi guys,

Its been almost a week now and I am not taking it any easier :( I'm trying to stay strong and think positive though. Thanks to all of you for the support you've given me :) Thought I'd share this most recent email from the new owners:

Dear Alyson;

Actually, they kind of switched places, lucky is coming out more and chance is staying in the bedroom more. However, I believe he just likes looking out the windows. There was a bird out there this morning, and he was going crazy. They have started eating more and more -- even with the vitamins mixed in, which is good. They use the litter box, and it is definitely time to get more litter.

Ben & Danielle

ramanth
03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
It's good to know they are keeping in touch with you.

*HUGS*

jazzcat
03-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Aly, that is a very positive update. They are adjusting well. I'm sure in another week they will have claimed the whole house as theirs.

Hang in there. My heart still aches with you.

Barbara
03-12-2005, 06:31 AM
And so does my heart. But I agree with Lori- the update sounds very positive. And they keep in touch! A very good sign too!

*Sigh!!!*