PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged Heart For Maggi Mea

skneisel74
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Hello Everyone,
My name is skneisel and I have an 11 month old neutered male cat. I took him in at about 5 weeks old. He was a feral kitten from my sis in laws farm. I raised him on baby cereal, and warm milk. I got up every 3 hours to feed him. I am the Mommy, and he is my angel kitty. Last Friday I took him to the vet to get him neutered, only to find out from the Dr. on Monday that he has an enlarged heart. The vet was not sympathetic to my need for further info. Thus my questions are still unanswered, the only thing she would or could tell me was that it is an inherited trait from imbreeding. That he could last a nite or years. She stated that they could do an ultrasound, but that would only tell us how enlarged the heart actually was. She found the enlarged heart after his surgery, his blood pressure was too high and after 15 mins of it continuing to get higher she did chest x-rays to find that his heart was 3x it's normal size. This really has me in a panic. I am hoping someone out there can give me some information, some encouragement, even some direction as to what is best for his health. I would appriciate anyones help!!!!!
PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [[email protected]]:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ratchet22
03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Okay guys, I brought her here because I know you guys have had to been through this or now about it. She is very upset when she called me yesturday. All I could think about was the help you guys gave me. She is really heart broken over this, If you can please enlighten us on this issue , we would really really appreciate it.

thank

carrie

jenluckenbach
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
I do not have any experience in this, but I think I would get a different vet....one that will give you the info you need. While it is highly possible that the kitty was born with this and maybe there IS nothing to do but love him for all his time, but a little bit of info can make you feel a whole lot better.

I wish I could be of more help.

skneisel74
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Thank you for you response. Just knowing that others care helps. As far as a vet, you can bet they will receive no referrals from me. And I will begin searching for a new one.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Maybe you can find more information here:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catindex.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/toc_11200.htm

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck!!

Laura's Babies
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I know you are frantic and I hope those links posted can give you some help... I agree, you need to find another vet, one that will give you more information and explaine things more or at LEAST sooth you some.. That sounds cold and heartless... Most of the time I take Amy in worried to death, they spend more time on soothing Mommies worries than on Amy.

In the meantime, LOVE you baby as much as you can and try not to work yourself up to much.... HA! Bad advice from the QUEEN of worried Meowmies! ( you are going to worry no matter what!)

Meantime, remember we are here to offer support and comfort when EVER you need it!

ratchet22
03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
you might try my vet....Dr. Diffley is a cat man himself. I would not take mine anywhere else.
He's on fielder and randolmill, next to the little chinese buffet restaurant (did I make you all hungry:D )

But definetly follow the links that were given to you, i did some reading myself, and found a diet change is sometimes in order, and it also said some foods can cause it, so definetly look at that.

carrie

catlover4ever
03-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I would have to agree with almost everyone else that said to look for a new vet. If your current vet can not or will not take the time to answer your concerned questions then get someone new.

As for the enlarged heart. I have some experience with that. My 12 year old girl Tigger has an enlarged heart. We just had an ultrasound on her heart and she was a rating of a 2 out of 5, with 5 being the worst on the scale. Her enlarged heart is genetic as her brother Tony had cardiomyopathy which ultimately he lost his battle with that condition.

Tigger leads a very normal life. She does everything that every other kitty does in my house. However I do watch her carefully when it comes time to play as she loves to play and sometimes she gets so excited that I have to give her a time out so she can catch her breath.

I hope everything works out OK.