PDA

View Full Version : FAO bunny owners

jackie
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
i posted this already in pet behavior,but don't seem to be getting much of a response.

i have a small rabbit who spends his days on the terrace and nights in his hutch downstair. lately the weather has been a bit wet so i have been letting him loose in the spare bedroom. the only problem he loves to pee and poo on the bed! :eek:

when he is on the terrace, he uses his litterbox perfect, just inside he wants to go on the furniture (the living room sofa has had a few wet spots as well).

any tips on how to break him of this habit?

Desert Arabian
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Is he neutered? If he is not neutered, that is (most likely) the main problem right there. Male rabbits that are not neutered tend to spot pee and poop to mark their territory, even if they are litter boxed trained. Neutered males do not do this, for they have no urge to mark their territory, my (neutered) male never pees or poops outside the litter box.

jackie
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
i have spoken to my vet about neutering my bun, but the vet laughed at me when i suggested it. :rolleyes:

i also asked if they had ever operated on a rabbit in that vet office, they said no, so i don't want to risk my bunny with someone unexperienced. :(

Desert Arabian
03-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh no, that's not good. Yeah, you definately do not want an unexperienced vet operating on your rabbit, lots of rabbits are killed that way- sad to say. Luckily, I found a lady with 30-35 years of experience and I trust her 101%.

Hmm, I don't know what you should do then. Let me look around on the internet (and in my books) and see if I can dig up some more answers for you.

cali
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Kari did the same thing for a while, she seemed to think that my bed was equale to her litter box, she just got booted(not litterally) off my bed everytime she did that and she does not anymore. if you are not there though you can try covering the bed with a vinal shower curtain or a vinal table cloth.. that is something I read about doing.

jackie
03-02-2005, 04:30 PM
ok, i will try the shower curtain, but i would rather break the habit of bunny going on the bed :(

Heather Wallace
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
You can litter train your rabbit to pee and poo in a trya but it might be difficult if he/she is slightly older.

jackie
03-04-2005, 05:39 PM
^bunny is litter trained, and on the terrace, he only uses his box, its just in the spare bedroom he would rather go on the bed. :rolleyes:

jackie
03-04-2005, 05:42 PM
oh here is a pic of the little *ahem* pisser

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p25d80e44be84d64c6adecf4270f5b4cc/f4ef62ca.jpg

kerry20uk
03-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Why don't you try to litter train him again in the room where he is doing it? Or is he a bit old for that now?

jackie
03-08-2005, 10:51 AM
^he is litter trained.