PDA

View Full Version : Nawtee Kats!!

NoahsMommy
03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
My herd is in big touble!! When I got home from work, my heart sank. On the floor was the bird cage...opened and without sign of the birds. :eek:

The only hope I had was I couldn't find feathers or blood in the entire apartment and the cats were really acting quite normal.

After an hour and my tearing the apartment up, I found Maurice hiding behind our laundry basket in our room. I caught him after chasing him around the room with the bird net for a few minutes...although it felt like HOURS!!

I put him back in his cage and put it in the bathroom so he could settle down and be away from the nawtee kats.

I went to get a drink about an hour after that and heard a noise behind the fridge. Basie heard it too...the only one of the nine that was helping me look. I think I found my culprit! Gertie was back there, but I had to wait for David to get home so we could move the fridge.

When he got home, Gertie took a flying tour of the apartment and Noah was afraid of her! ha ha!

They're safe and sound...but now I will have to find a home for them. :( Its not safe here anymore. I've had them for at least a year and nothing like this has happened before. :(

Poor birdies!! I'm shocked they didn't die of a heart attack!!

zippy-kat
03-01-2005, 12:23 AM
:eek: What a fright!
I'm glad you found them safe and sound. I'm sorry you have to rehome them but, I'm sure you'll do what's best for them.

Noah! You're ruining your tough guy image. ;)
And Basie...tsk tsk.. what a nawtee boy you are!

K'Cee says she'll trade you a lil' brother for 2 birds.... ;)

shais_mom
03-01-2005, 12:37 AM
nawtee Kitties!!
I know you will find a great home for them!!
I am glad they are ok after their adventure!

catfamily
03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm glad they didn't have a heart attack too.They get them easy.Poor birdies have to go to a different home.Better than take the chance though.

jenluckenbach
03-01-2005, 07:59 AM
You could just concider this an ACCIDENT and get a better cage and stand set up. I am positive there are other setups available that will make them more cat proof.

catmandu
03-01-2005, 08:31 AM
As my Mother once said,you can take the Cat,from the jungle,but,you cant take,the Tiger,out of the Cat.We are glad,that the Birds,are safe,and sound.

NoahsMommy
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I probably could get a parrot cage, that way it wouldn't be able to be opened.

We'll see. They cost a lot and I have a good friend who would like them. She raises Goldian Finches and is amazing with birds. They'd be a heck of a lot safer over there...

wolflady
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
OMG!! How scary for you Kelly!! I'm so glad that both of them were just fine...and in a household of 9 cats...that's saying something! :)
I thought the setup you had for your cage was good...on top of the book case...because there's no way for the cats to get up there, you know? Was there perhaps another reason for the cage to wind up on the floor?
**hugs**

NoahsMommy
03-01-2005, 12:11 PM
I have no idea...other than Basil getting up there somehow. :(

He's the one I caught up there last week, but I had our laundry hampers in front of the bookcase, so they had easier access. I took them away as soon as I saw him up there.

That book case is at least 5.5 feet tall. I guess they can jump up, but I have stuff next to the cage, so there's nowhere for them to "land". Maybe that's why the cage fell.

:(

Laura's Babies
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Birds Verses Cats? It is natural for the cats to try to get them and my sister has found her bird cage on the floor many times... Then she hung the cage directly from the celing with nothing nearby for Fred to get on to jump that high.. Worked like a charm...

ramanth
03-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Nawtee kitties! Glad your wee birds are okay. *hugs*

NoahsMommy
03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I know you all mean well with your suggestions. Unfortunately, at this time, there is a lot going on in my life and plans have already been made because of that. Re-homing them just had to come quicker than I had anticipated.

Thank you for your concern.

~Kelly

catnapper
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry... but I did laugh a little. I can imagine the scene, and I'd have nearly died to walk into my home and see a bird cage opened without sign of the birds.

I know you'll be able to find a great home for them. Do not feel guilty about it, since you are doing what is in their best interest.

wolflady
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
...Do not feel guilty about it, since you are doing what is in their best interest.

I agree :)
**hugs**

shais_mom
03-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I know you'll be able to find a great home for them. Do not feel guilty about it, since you are doing what is in their best interest.

Absolutely - you know what is best and I know they will love it at you're friends house!!!
Hugs to you!!