PDA

View Full Version : The BSL is official

wolfsoul
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Tomorrow the bill is officially passed. Pit bulls are now banned in Ontario. And get this.

"pit bull" includes,
(a) a pit bull terrier,
(b) a Staffordshire bull terrier,
(c) an American Staffordshire terrier,
(d) an American pit bull terrier,
(e) a member of a class of dogs that have an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); ("pit-bull")

What does this mean for the 40-50+ breeds that are commonly confused with pit bulls? I'm sure my catahoula breeder is scared as heck right now. People are constantly asking if one of her dogs, Toad, is a pit bull mix.

Such a sad world we live in when people are racist towards our dogs, and when people refuse to look up the facts.

Oggyflute
03-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Wow, didn't realise this was actually happening. Ignorant pollies snaring votes of ignorant people would be my guess.

luckies4me
03-01-2005, 12:14 AM
:( :( :(

Corinna
03-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Does that include Boxers? The look like a pitty if noncropped or tail docked.

Shelteez2
03-01-2005, 01:40 AM
That is so stupid, because ignorant people don't know what pitt bulls are.

My grandpa was out walking his dog and was asked by someone if it was a pittie......

My grandpa owns a pug!

Pit Chick
03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
That last description isn't going to fly well with many Ontario citizens. There's going to be a lot of outrage when people are being accused of owning a Pit Bull when it's really nothing closely related.

PJ's Mom
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
That really sucks. :(

I'm curious, but what happenes to those who already own Pitties? Do they have to get rid of their babies? :eek:

Jadapit
03-01-2005, 10:01 AM
That's so sad.:( What if I lived in Canada? Would I have to get rid of Jada?:eek: There is NO way I would do that. Geez, I feel for all the pit owner there.

Lilith Cherry
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I am outraged by this law... do you realise fellow Canadians that it violates constitutional rights? any law enforcement officer or dog officer may now enter your home and search it for a dog even resembling a pit bull ( and we all know how wide a scope that gives them!:( WITHOUT A WARRANT! they can take the dog away and sell or give it to a vivisectionist!!

The politicians in Ontario are shameful!
:( :( :( :mad: :mad:

wolfsoul
03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Lilith Cherry
I am outraged by this law... do you realise fellow Canadians that it violates constitutional rights? any law enforcement officer or dog officer may now enter your home and search it for a dog even resembling a pit bull ( and we all know how wide a scope that gives them!:( WITHOUT A WARRANT! they can take the dog away and sell or give it to a vivisectionist!!

Actually they can't do that -- the law allows current owners to keep their pit bulls, but any pitties currently in shelters will be euthanised, and no pit bulls are allowed to be bred or brought into Ontario.

Edit: Never mind -- I see that they have changed the rules. If your dog causes problems and someone reports it, then they will take it away, give it to a shelter and have it euthanised. All without a warrant, as you said. That is terrible.

wolfsoul
03-01-2005, 02:43 PM
It was passed just now. 56 to 23 in favour.

I just found out that you will not have to follow the new list of "rules" ($10,000 insurance money, muzzled in public, etc), IF your dog has the papers to prove that he/she is not a pit bull, amstaff, etc. But what about those with mixed breeds? They don't have papers.

dukedogsmom
03-01-2005, 03:24 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous and sad. I had a call last night.(at work. We've taken over Animal Control) This woman was concerned because her neighbors that had a pit bull and a boxer. Her back yard backs up to theirs. The tarp top for the pen had come off and the pit was jumping up from his kennel. She was afraid he would get loose. Of course she had to point out the fact that her children were in the back yard. I so hate breed prejudice! Makes me want to get one just to prove people wrong. Someone said they were already banned in Miami. Don't know if it's true. I got angry at my friend from work who said that the pits were a mean breed. I informed her that Goldens were the ones with the highest bite rate. I need to get the stats printed out and hang them in the break room.

caseysmom
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Tell that lady that her kids are more in danger of being raised as ignorant idiots...see if that gets her attention! hehe

Jadapit
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Awwww dukesdog's mom people like your neighbors are just so stupid. I'm so lucky and thankful that my neighbors are all cool with Jada. They all know what a sweet dog she is. When I walk by one of my neighbors with the fur kids if she is outside she always stops me so she can pet them and give them a treat.:)

Suki Wingy
03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks like a lot of people are going to have to move! My mom's friend's sweet rottie was considered a "dangerous breed" where they lived and had to pay A LOT of ensurance to keep her:( :( :( :( :( This makes me sooooo mad! I saw on animal cops miami, where pitties are banned a lot of REALLY uneducated idiots in charge! The officer said to nationwide tv the they have locking jaws! The person who had been working at his job for something like over 12 years called 2 beautifull American Bulldogs pit bulls and almost had them euthenized untill the owner showed him the pedegree and registration papers. They are also lying and saying that a pittie mix is a "border collie mix" and things like that to save them.

Suki Wingy
03-01-2005, 04:25 PM
wait, is this the same one that we signed the pettition for? most people left dood stories, and I saw they over reached their goal of 1000 by a few hundred!!
WHAT IS THE WORLD COMMING TO!!?!?!?!
I was wearing a shirt that said "Pit Bull Love" with a pittie girl and a heart and a kid stopped and said "but pit bulls eat people, don't they?!":( :( :mad: :mad:

PJ's Mom
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Awwww dukesdog's mom people like your neighbors are just so stupid. I'm so lucky and thankful that my neighbors are all cool with Jada. They all know what a sweet dog she is. When I walk by one of my neighbors with the fur kids if she is outside she always stops me so she can pet them and give them a treat.:)

How can they not want to pet her? Pitties have the sweetest faces and little ears.

Gosh this is sad. :(

K9soul
03-01-2005, 04:48 PM
There are no words for how angry, upset and sad this makes me. They seriously think this will make it "safer?" In general, the types of people who owned the dogs that were dangerous will be the types who will continue to, legal or not. This whole thing sickens me :mad:

wolfsoul
03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
wait, is this the same one that we signed the pettition for?
No, that was the Georgia ban petition.

Here are the new rules.
The owner of a restricted dog shall have liability insurance specifically covering any damages for personal injury caused by the restricted dog in an amount not less than one million dollars.

Care and control of restricted dogs

6(1) The owner, or any other person having care and control of any restricted dog, shall at all times when the restricted dog is off the property of the owner, have the restricted dog
(a) under control;
(b) muzzled; and
(c) held on a leash not exceeding two metres in length.

6(2) The owner, or any other person having care and control of any restricted dog shall, at all times when the restricted dog is on the property of the owner, have the restricted dog
a) indoors;
(b) outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen; or
c) outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property.

(4) No person may keep, or permit any other person to keep, on his or her property, more than two restricted dogs

7(2) A peace officer or animal control officer who has a reasonable and honest belief that a dog is a restricted dog within the meaning of this Act may proceed as if the dog were a restricted dog under this Act and enforce the terms of this Act accordingly.

schteve_d
03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
This whole thing (not the thread, the ban) is so utterly ridiculous that I can't believe it actually happened in Canada. I really mean no offense to those of you in the States, but Americans seem to sue each other over damages suffered from a fart, so I can see this ban happening in California, or some other "forward-thinking" State, but I am amazed this happened here. No matter where it happened, it is so ridiculous as to be almost beyond comprehension. I am so mad and I don't live, or plan to live, anywhere near Ontario. I can only imagine if I lived there. What mentality could have ever let this happen?! I may post again when in a better frame of mind, but for now I am so mad and in awe that I'm not sure I can make sense if I go on!!

binka_nugget
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Ugh.. this is stupid. I really hope the other provinces don't follow Ontario and do the same.

sammy101
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Im happy that the one in B.C didnt pass.
Soo terrible!:mad: :mad: :( :(
I hope all the Pits in the shelters go peacefully:(

Pit Chick
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
I think California actually has a law restricting the banning of certain breeds. Ferrets on the other hand.....:rolleyes: I think Miami-Dade is the one with the Pit Bull ban. Then we had the whole state of Ohio with a Pit Bull ban and that didn't last. So it's only a matter of time before other cities who passed bans start to lift them also once they see that people are still being bitten by dogs.

c) outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property.

Hello, can we say cruel and dangerous?!?:mad: How is a dog supposed to pant with a muzzle on and what if it has to vomit?

Jadapit
03-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Pit chick, I was wondering how they are supposed to pant when you have a muzzle on them:confused:. Wouldn't it be really bad on them not to be able to pant? Isn't that how they cool off? Parts of Denver have banned the pit bull also.:mad: This whole banning thing is getting way out ot control It's so sad.:(

wolfsoul
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
They can't drink with a muzzle on either....:(

schteve_d
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Here is a link to an opinion column in the Ottawa Citizen (I found it while reading the news today). I was very tempted to write myself, however I thought it would be better if someone who actually owns or has more experience with this breed did it. I think anyone who has read my posts on this issue before knows where I'm coming from: I was terribly ignorant to the Pit Bull breed not so long ago, but after a few questions and checking into it myself, I am coming around. But the idea that a government can ban me, and anyone else, from owning a specific breed, of which I can think of a few loving, loyal, and friendly examples, really bothers me. Please, someone write an intelligent e-mail to this a**hole for ever thinking to put this in his column (his contact information is at the bottom of the article).

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Earl_McRae/2005/03/02/946800.html

schteve_d
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Oops, sorry, not Ottawa Citizen; Ottawa Sun.

davidpizzica
03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I used to have ideas about pit bulls like this guy. However (and this is a BIG however) after reading other posts about pit bulls I've received a great education about them. They ARE NOT the vicious animal that this so-called commentator paints them to be. It is SO wrong to try to ban them. I think I've come a long way from my comments a few weeks ago. I think this ***hole should be educated!

Shelteez2
03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Re: the muzzle..... I do believe the type of muzzle they are referring too are the cage type muzzles( think Lady and the Tramp). Dogs can pant and drink and even eat with them on. Not that I believe in muzzling dogs of course, this whole thing stinks.

green_chameleon_girl
03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I cant believe they actually did this:(

*edit*
WHATS THIS ABOUT!?!:(

Bruce Springsteen should pay good riddance to these nasty creatures in a new song, Born To Bite , but of course the mourning pit bull lovers today are sticking to their tired refrain that it's not the dogs that are droolingly nuts, it's those cement heads in the owner population who, being nuts themselves, train the beasts to be chomping, salivating, intimidating, maiming, killing machines

^ that made me upset:(

luckies4me
03-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by schteve_d
Here is a link to an opinion column in the Ottawa Citizen (I found it while reading the news today). I was very tempted to write myself, however I thought it would be better if someone who actually owns or has more experience with this breed did it. I think anyone who has read my posts on this issue before knows where I'm coming from: I was terribly ignorant to the Pit Bull breed not so long ago, but after a few questions and checking into it myself, I am coming around. But the idea that a government can ban me, and anyone else, from owning a specific breed, of which I can think of a few loving, loyal, and friendly examples, really bothers me. Please, someone write an intelligent e-mail to this a**hole for ever thinking to put this in his column (his contact information is at the bottom of the article).

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Earl_McRae/2005/03/02/946800.html

OMG I cannot tell how how angry I am at this man!!! I hope all the pit bulls in the world maul him to death! :mad:

davidpizzica
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Just my opinion, but how about putting that commontator on a short leash and put a muzzle on him?? Maybe then he'll stop with these idiotic statements!! He makes me sick.

schteve_d
03-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
OMG I cannot tell how how angry I am at this man!!! I hope all the pit bulls in the world maul him to death! :mad:

Not me, I'd rather see 200 poodles do it.

DJFyrewolf36
03-03-2005, 01:01 AM
People sadden me...

Human ignorance and hostility have now claimed even more innocent lives...

luckies4me
03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by schteve_d
Not me, I'd rather see 200 poodles do it.

LOL! Yes! :D

misterduke
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
It saddens me. Now that this is in force, i'm scared about German Shephards, Rottweilers, Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, and any other breed that people may fear. It saddens me that these politiciens can do this !!!!

Dominique

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Do you think that in the near future, when dog "attacks" don't come down in number (since most dogs that bite aren't even Pitties) that some of these politicians will wake up and see they've made a mistake? After all, they can pass the law, and they can also get rid of it.

Or will they just keep banning breed after breed after breed? :(

green_chameleon_girl
03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
PJ's mom, they better not ban every breed or im moving to mars with all the dogs I can get! Whos Comming with me?;)

sammy101
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl
PJ's mom, they better not ban every breed or im moving to mars with all the dogs I can get! Whos Comming with me?;)
i'll go!!:D

PJ's mom,i agree with you!Theyre going to end up banning every breed,until they realize that the pitbull isnt the only breed that can become vicous.every breed can!
I'd be ashamed right now if i was living in Ontario,i wouldnt be able to have my Bull Terrier but they looks somewhat like pits:mad: soo rediculous!!:mad:

Kosmo&Cuddles
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I am soo ashamed to be living in Ontario or Canada right now. I'm a pittie owner and I can't believe what some people think about this breed of dog. My pittie is the biggest baby in the world. I just hope that these idiotic politicians wake up soon and see that banning pit bulls isn't the answer to fewer dog attacks. I doubt any of those politicans ever owned or was even around a pit bull in there life.

That nutcase from the Ottawa Sun should be put in his place for saying what he did. I don't know about anybody else but he pissed me right off!!

All we can do is hope for the best.

PJ's Mom
03-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl

Count me in! ;)

sammy101
03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Im really surprised that they didnt include the English Bull Terrier.They are definently not known for being aggressive.I thought they would b/c they are somewhat related to those breeds.They look nothing like the Pitbull.Just curious,would you consider the Bull Terrier to have 'pitbull' characteristics?i know both around the same size,but look VERY different.

wolfsoul
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by sammy101
Im really surprised that they didnt include the English Bull Terrier.They are definently not known for being aggressive.I thought they would b/c they are somewhat related to those breeds.They look nothing like the Pitbull.Just curious,would you consider the Bull Terrier to have 'pitbull' characteristics?i know both around the same size,but look VERY different.
Actually they did include the English bull terrier. They said "any breed that might be described as a pit bull" which actually includes all of the bully breeds. When someone is talking about a pit bull, they usually mean American pit bull terrier, but any of the bully breeds can be described as a pit bull and unfortunatly it wouldn't exactly be incorrect.

Lexi_Lover
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
That really sucks. :(

I'm curious, but what happenes to those who already own Pitties? Do they have to get rid of their babies? :eek:

I didn't read through the whole thread to see if this was answered, but no, people who already own pitties have to muzzle them in public and have them on leash at all times. All the pit bulls in the shelters(most of the shelter population) has been euthanized as well. Go see Dog Memorial and oyu will see a sad story, its called, I'll Miss You Lico!

Poor little girl. Go see the website if you like too, she was there yesturday, now shes gone:( OHS (http://www.ottawahumane.ca)

Lexi_Lover
03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
I know I posted above, but I'll post again!

I can't believe I live in Ontario right now. Like I said before, I wanted to adopt a pit bull when I moved out someday. But thats not going to happen anymore. I wish it owuld all go away.

And people would see that pit bulls are not bad dogs. They are just as suspectible of biting as any other breed! Ughh! This just sickens me. And just for your info, they are planning to go to all provinces with the ban:rolleyes:Thats their theory though, tehy want Canada to be a pit bull free country! :mad:

Denyce
03-04-2005, 10:40 AM
What scares me is where does it stop? How many more breeds will end up on these lists. I still feel we should have a stupid people ban. :rolleyes: But in all seriousness.....how much influence does everyone think the insurance industry has on this? You know how much that liability is going to cost???:eek:

Denyce

GoldenRetrLuver
03-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Such a sad, ignorant world we live in.

I'm almost convinced that people are never going to learn.

HOW many more breed bans is it going to take until people just wake up? HOW many more breeds will have to suffer?! :(

:(

green_chameleon_girl
03-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Did you guys see the article Earl Mcrae worte in I think it was todays paper? I wish I could find a link, it dident just make him sound better, or soften the blow, to me it just made him sound two faced!!

Pit Chick
03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I saw it. I posted the link in the thread I started about his first article.

Suki Wingy
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Illinois has a law restricting the banning of certain breeds.
YAY!! This is the only good thing I have heard our governer do. All dogs picked up that appear to be agressive are microchipped. It was almost a law that every dog, cat, and ferret had to be microchipped, but some idiot (she was so proud of herself on the radio) got into an argument w/ her husband weather it included ferrets too, so in order to be right, she actually pursuaded them to cancel it before it was a law!!:( :( :mad: