PDA

View Full Version : Taking Dad for a sled ride...

Glacier
02-28-2005, 09:22 PM
My parents were visiting for the past few days. My Dad had never seen a dog team hooked up or gone for a ride so we went out on Friday morning. My Mom took these pictures. She went for a short ride too, but she was a little nervous! Dad was more adventerous so he got a longer tour and a bigger team!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/handler.jpg
This is my Dad being my handler! That's Paxil, back in a harness. She would not leave us alone. I wasn't going to take her. I actually thought she was done for at least this winter, but that day, she kept pawing at the harness and getting in the way when I was putting them on the other dogs. Finally I gave in and hooked her up. I figured she could ride with Dad when she got tired, but she never did!!! She was AMAZING!! I am thrilled that she's feeling so well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/hook_up.jpg
Hooking up the last dog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/lets_go.jpg
Everyone is raring to go!! What is taking the humans so long to get ready!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/off.jpg
Finally heading down the trail!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/dad_home.jpg
Happy dogs back home in the yard!

Dad had a great time and really enjoyed his tour. The dogs were great. My dad is a big, tall man and they pulled like the sled was empty!:D

Vette
02-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Awww. how sweet of you take him on a ride. :D
it looks fun too!!

cyber-sibes
02-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah Paxil!!! She looks so happy in the "after" shot - good for her! Must have been a wonderful experience for your parents!

NoahsMommy
02-28-2005, 11:49 PM
How fun!!!

Looks like the pups are having lots of fun too! :)

Oggyflute
03-01-2005, 12:10 AM
That would be so cool. :D

Corinna
03-01-2005, 01:00 AM
You keep making me so envious. I gotta call Jeff and get a ride before our snow is gone.

Uabassoon
03-01-2005, 01:28 AM
I want to go on a sled ride! One of these days I'm just going to show up on your door step and beg for a ride!

pitc9
03-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I want to go on a sled ride! One of these days I'm just going to show up on your door step and beg for a ride!

Make sure to stop in Cleveland on your way so I can go with you!

:D

Cincy'sMom
03-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
Make sure to stop in Cleveland on your way so I can go with you!

:D

If Ohio is on the way from Arizona to Canada, I wanna go too!!!

ramanth
03-01-2005, 08:15 AM
There's enough snow here now to pull a sled! :D

Neat pictures! Glad your dad had fun. :)

Jadapit
03-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Omg that looks like so much fun!! I would love to be able to go on a ride with you and your beautiful team. How long have you been running sleds? Does it take a long time to learn how to do it? It looks like the dogs enjoy it as much as the people.

lute
03-01-2005, 09:14 AM
that's awsome! i'm glad your dad liked his ride.:D

Glacier
03-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Omg that looks like so much fun!! I would love to be able to go on a ride with you and your beautiful team. How long have you been running sleds? Does it take a long time to learn how to do it? It looks like the dogs enjoy it as much as the people.

I've been running dogs for five years. How long it takes to figure it out varies alot. I have a friend who's husband is a champion sprint racer, but after 30 years she still can't drive a sled. She handles for him and he does all the driving and racing. It took me three years to get confident enough to drive a big team and to be able to hook them up alone.

It's much easier to learn if you start with a trained leader. A good leader will teach your other dogs what to do. I was given Sleet the first winter I lived in the North. Sleet is a natural born lead dog who never misses a command. She taught me & the other dogs more about mushing than I could ever have learned on my own.

I also live in an area where I am surrounded by mushers. It's very helpful to be able to call someone who's run the Yukon Quest with questions!

shutterbug0303
03-01-2005, 07:16 PM
That looks like so much fun!!! I am coming to visit for a ride too, ok? lol Glad you dad had such a good time with the pups! And wonderful news to hear how well Paxil is feeling! :D

anna_66
03-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh how wonderful that Paxil was up to running, I'm so glad to hear that:D

I bet your parents had a blast...I know I would have if I'd had been them!!!

stacwase
03-02-2005, 05:56 AM
AWESOME! Do you have a lot of sled dog races up there? Here, we have the UP 200 every year. It was just last week or the week before, I believe. I've only gone to watch once - I was so surprised at how small the dogs were. Nothing like the movies.

How do you keep them from going before you're ready? And when you train a new dog do the experienced dogs help a lot with the training, or do you have to start from scratch?

Do you have more dogs than you need, so that you can still race if one is sick or injured?

Are they affectionate?

I've always been curious about them. I'd never be dedicated enough to have a sled dog team, myself, but it's so intriguing.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Oh my gosh!! That looks so great!! It is one of my big wishes to be in a sled like that! I'm afraid it won't ever happen, as Belgium doesn't get enough snow for that :(

Look at these dogs!! They are so thrilled to start running!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/lets_go.jpg

Glacier
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
AWESOME! Do you have a lot of sled dog races up there? Here, we have the UP 200 every year. It was just last week or the week before, I believe. I've only gone to watch once - I was so surprised at how small the dogs were. Nothing like the movies.
We have a local race every weekend from the end of January to mid-March. In Alaska you can race every weekend from November to April. There are lots more races over there and way more mushers.

My dogs are huge compared to most sled dogs. Sprint dogs generally weigh about 35 pounds. My smallest is Hobo and he weighs about that, but most of my dogs weigh between 50-70 pounds with a couple over the 100 pound mark. Most racing dogs are hound or pointer crosses so they don't even look much like Huskies anymore.

How do you keep them from going before you're ready? And when you train a new dog do the experienced dogs help a lot with the training, or do you have to start from scratch?

When I'm hooking up, I tie a rope around a fence post with a slip knot and set two snow hooks. Snow hooks are like small anchors for the sled. They aren't terribly reliable though and a team can pop them out of the snow if they really want to. That's why I use two. One of them will usually hold.

Experienced dogs are invaluable in training new dogs, especially leaders. Dogs can teach each other things that a human never could. It's very important that a dog's first few times in harness be nothing but fun. If they have a bad experience, they may never run. I always put new dogs beside a calm, experienced dog, usually Earle. I also up my best leaders up front when a new dog is joining the team. That helps ensure the run will go more smoothly. Training from scratch can be done, but it's much quicker with another dog to help.

Do you have more dogs than you need, so that you can still race if one is sick or injured?
I only need six to 8 dogs to run a team so I do have more than I technically need. However, my dogs are always given the choice of coming or not on every run. If one doesn't want to come, someone else will. It's important to have more leaders than you actually need, especially if you race. I've had trouble this winter because I only have two command leaders--Pingo and Paxil. They've both had health problems off and on over the winter. I have a couple new dogs in training to lead.

Are they affectionate?
Most sled dogs are affectionate, people friendly dogs. A friendly dog is much easier to deal with. Other mushers get very upset if you have an aggressive, growly, fighter in your team. Racing dogs are around tons of people at races and have to non-aggressive. There is a tendancy towards genetic shyness in many sled dog lines though. I have several genetically shy dogs who are great pullers. It just takes them a long time to warm up to strangers. They are affectionate with people they know well though.

Queen of Poop
03-02-2005, 11:15 AM
What a wonderful outing. I've been dog sledding once, just outside of Calgary, it was quite cold but definately the most fun I have ever had in my life. I'm glad your parents got to share that experience. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

Kosmo&Cuddles
03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Wow!! That looks like lots of fun...I would love to go for a ride like that some day!! Keep the photos coming! They are all beautiful dogs.

Kater
03-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Loved the 'raring to go' picture! I loved them all really!! :D

I'm so glad your parents got to experience a sled ride. Also great news about Paxil!!! :)