PDA

View Full Version : Private, public, or home school?

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Thought this would be an interesting thread!! I have been home schooled my whole life, and also go to classes elsewhere, which you could consider a part-time private school I guess...I dunno what to call it. I really enjoy it, even though it's REALLY hard!!:eek: :)

jenluckenbach
02-28-2005, 04:28 PM
I went to a privat school (MANY years ago :eek: )

chrissycat21
02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I go to a public school. :)

manda_moo87
02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I went to a private school from kindergarten to 3rd grade. I've been in a public school since 4th grade.

mr. ian
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
I went to private schools from nursery till college, it was hard though i got the chance to meet incredible people:))

Suki Wingy
02-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I am and always have been in public school.

My Peanuts
02-28-2005, 04:57 PM
I was in Public school from kindergarten all the way through my senior year of high school. After that I graduated from a 4 year Private Catholic University.

animal_rescue
02-28-2005, 05:02 PM
For preschool and kindergarten I went to a public school for behind kids(basically kids lacking social skills with other kids all my brothers and sisters went to the same school for pre. and K.) Then in 1st grade I went to a private school which was across the street from my old school, the next year in 2nd grade I went to a catholic school and stayed in that school until the 8th grade. Now I'm in a public high school and I hate it, I'm trying to get my parents to let me go to the catholic school that's right by my house. But right now we don't have to money for me to go, it's $5000 a year, so there's a private school out in the country also that's $4000 a year, so I think I'll talk to my parents about that.

cali
02-28-2005, 05:03 PM
k-1 I went to a private school
2-4 I went to a catholic school
1/2 of grade 5 I went to a public school
other 1/2 of grade 5 and to grade 6 I went back to the same catholic school as before
7-8 I went to a differnt catholic school
9-12 I went and still go to a private school.

with all the switching I actually got rather messed up because one school system would be ahead of the other so I ended up missing some stuff entirly when the catholic school was ahead of the public school so I learned the same thing twice and missed half a year.

Kfamr
02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
I've been in public school my whole life.
I'd much rather be home-schooled. I cannot stand 99.9% of the kids my age. :o :p

popcornbird
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I went to private school for preschool only. Then I attended public school for several years in elementry school. Then I homeschooled for the rest of my school years until the end of high school...when I decided to go back to school just because I wanted to see what it was like. I learned a lot about 'young society' by returning to public school. :p LOL! I absolutely hated it, and wished I hadn't returned, but at least it helped in opening my eyes up to a lot of things. Of course there were some great kids there too, but overall, I really disliked it. I loved homeschooling and loved the public elementry school I attended. No complaints there. The only thing I have to complain about is public highschool. Bleh. Glad that's over. University is much better than high school, but its still not a place I enjoy going to.

Uabassoon
02-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I went to private school for elementary, then went to public school. Then for HS I went to a fine arts magnet school, which was still public, but you had to apply and get accepted in order to attend.

catnapper
02-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I went to a private Catholic school for the first 8 years. I was devastated when my parents "made" me to go public school for 9th grade on. There was something about the uniforms and "rules" that spoke to me. I hated public school.

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I've been in public school my whole life.
I'd much rather be home-schooled. I cannot stand 99.9% of the kids my age. :o :p

Yea, a lot of kids/teenagers are just so immature these days...but I have great friends few and far between, and guess what??!! They're mostly all home schooled! lol;)

Kfamr
02-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Hehe, most of my friends (in fact, my three best friends) have dropped out and are persueing something else in life.

Our school is complete crap and doesn't do anything to fix problems.

animal_rescue
02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I was devastated when my parents "made" me to go public school for 9th grade on. There was something about the uniforms and "rules" that spoke to me. I hated public school.

same here, I absolutely hate public school! The kids aren't like most of the kids in my old school(with the exception of a few immature 2 boys and 2 girls) the kids in my school are way more mature than the public school kids I go to school with, plus there a just to many fights in my school! There was 7 fights last week and some boy I know got pushed down the stairs and beat up today. It's awful, but luckily a lot of kids like me and almost no one has a problem with me.

prechrswife
02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I went to a private school, but when I started elementary school we did not live in the best of school districts. When my husband and I have children, we hope that we are in an area where there is a good public school. (There is not a good one in our current area.) If not, a private Christian school is our second choice.

Logan
02-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I went to a public school for grades 1-5. In the 6th grade, I was placed in a private school. Keep in mind that I was in school in the late 60's and desegregation of the schools came to pass and although there was a school 2 blocks from my house that I had been attending, I was going to be bussed 9 miles out into the country to help to balance the white/black ratio (at least this is what was explained to me at the time, by my parents). I stayed at the private school through graduation from high school, and then went on to a state supported university in SC.

My daughter and stepchildren are students in the public school system, now.

Logan

GoldenRetrLuver
02-28-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been in public schools my whole life. I'm currently attending a brand new public high school (it just 'opened' this year), and we'll be the first graduating class.

I'd LOVE to be homeschooled, though.

Tina
02-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I was in a public school and I plan on sending my kids to a public school.

shutterbug0303
02-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I've been in public, private, Catholic, and "home-schooled" (only for a few weeks while teachers were on strike...lol)

For colllege...only technical/community colleges because there was no worth-while 4 year degree in studio photography :rolleyes:

Karen
02-28-2005, 07:34 PM
I went to public school from Kindergarten through high school. There weren't any private schools in my home town, and no public transportation to the ones two town away. Instead, my parents worked with our teachers to try to improve our schools as much as possible. My mother was instrumental in getting a program for the "gifted" kids in the schools. She pointed out that there were programs in place for the slower-than-average-learners, wouldn't it simply be fair to have one for the faster-than-normal learners? (AKA those of us who were bored out of our gourds much of the time?) But I believe that's how public schools and education should work - in a partnership with parents and the community. But it is work.

I went to a public college as well, a State school - Mass College of Art, which was the only state-sponsored art school in the country.

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Public for me:)

Corinna
02-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I went to small country school but I homeschooled both of my kids.

sammy101
02-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Public:D :)

tikeyas_mom
02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I went to a public school...

Toby's my baby
02-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I have always gone to the same PUBLIC school. It is very small, only 13 kids in my class, and 181 students in K-12th grades!

Cincy'sMom
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
I went to Catholic school K-8, and public for High school and college.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-28-2005, 09:25 PM
My parents could only afford to send one kid to private school. My sister got to go to private school and I got stuck at public school.:rolleyes:
I hated public school and wished so much that I could have gone to a private school. My parents did the right thing by sending my sister to a private school even though I couldn't go too. My sister was sick a lot and she had a harder time in school than I did. I have bad anxiety problems though and I know I would have done a lot better in a private school.

Justin went to a private school up until 9th grade then begged his parents to let him go to public school.

We without a doubt want our kids to go to a private school.

Dogz
02-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
I have always gone to the same PUBLIC school. It is very small, only 13 kids in my class, and 181 students in K-12th grades!

I go to the same school.

NoahsMommy
02-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I went to private school until 2nd grade. I then was in public school until HS, except for the half-year I lived with my dad in 8th grade, where I went to private school again.

I'm in a public school for college, but am looking at a private school to transfer to.

Studies show that girls do A LOT better acedemically in an all girls school. So if I have kids, my girl(s) will go to an all girls private school. :)

CalliesMom
03-01-2005, 05:00 AM
I went to public schools my entire life and actually enjoyed them. However, high school was too "easy" and I was in for a real shock when I went to college my first year. No idea how to study...because everything had come so easy to me in high school. It got better the farther along I've been in school, but that first year was a real shocker.

sirrahved
03-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I went to the same public school k-12 and loved it. I attended a private christian university for one year and HATED IT. I felt like I was dying a slow, painful death the entire time I was there.

I then moved back home and went to a public community college. That was much better, but to be honest all I wanted to do while I was there was get married and be done with school.

If God ever blesses us, I plan to homeschool my children.

Desert Arabian
03-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I've been in public school for most of my life. My school district, Menomonee Falls, is the number 1 school district in the state, and ranks 13 (I believe) in the top 30 school districts in the nation!! I do not worry about my education in a public school- I know it's in good hands!! :p I did go to a private school for 2 years and it was the worst 2 years of my life- got out of there FAST!

ramanth
03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Catholic school grades 1 - 3, then was held back and did public from 3 - 12.

I loved the public schools much more than the catholic school. Had more friends and more activities to do. :)

Cataholic
03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Public, in two different districts, for grades k-12. Then, I attended a private university for 4 years, then another public institution for 3 more.

I live in a poor performing district right now. I am deciding between moving into a better district or placing Jonah in the montessori/magnet school. I would not want Jonah 'home schooled'. I do not really want him in private school, either.

smokey the elder
03-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I went to public school. It wasn't too bad.

Samantha Puppy
03-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Went to a private school for kindergarten and then we moved. From 1st through 12th grades, I was in public school and loved just about every second of itl.

RICHARD
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Let's see.

Private for 1-7, Our Lady of the Busted Knuckles.

Public for 8-12, that's where I learned all my bad habits.

College- for all the stuff I needed to impress my employer.

And the School of Hard Knocks-Still enrolled!:confused:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Public: kindergarden and primary school

Private (catholic) : every school untill I graduated as a teacher at age 21:)

lizbud
03-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I attended private schools (Catholic) from grade school
through college. The nuns made sure everyone knew they
were there to learn & learn we did.:D

animal_rescue
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
There was never any nuns when I went to catholic school, most of the teachers were girls, except the gym teacher and the principal for some years, last year in 8th grade my teacher was a 25 year old and she was the best! All the girls had fun talking to her about everything, she was like our big sister, she moved to Indianapolis this year, I still talk to her online though.

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh wow, I'm still the *only* home schooler here! Are there ANY other home schoolers here??;)

Orca
03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Gone to public schools all my life, until now. I'm at a university, not a state run college

chrangharris
03-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I have done all 3- public, home schooled and private. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages!

MaryJae
03-01-2005, 04:53 PM
I was in public school, but I got in trouble so I'm homeschooled now. People say that homeschooling is better and it was at first, but I soon realized that public school is much better. ;)

Amber
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
public school, and I love it. :)

Amber
03-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
Oh wow, I'm still the *only* home schooler here! Are there ANY other home schoolers here??;)

Miranda (miranda_rae) is home schooled....where is she?! :(

carole
03-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I am not certain what is considered a private school in USA, I think it is different in Britian to our system here, Private is where you pay through the nose for your education, for the wealthy really, but you get lots of extra priviliges and great schooling usually, Public is where my children attend , it is funded by the government, but we pay school fees etc, and there is nothing wrong with the education, as long as you are picky where you send them, of course we have zoning here too, so you can only attend schools within your area usually.

College in NZ is like High School, we have both High Schools and Colleges,university is where you go after finishing your high school years as long as you pass your exams.

Sirrahsim
03-01-2005, 08:08 PM
I went through public schools from K-7, then to a private Christian school from 8-11, a public school for 12th.

My overall impressions were:
-The quality of education in the private school was infinately superior to the quality of education at the public schools.
-Public schools are so horribly dumbed down for the masses...
-Giving students out fo school suspensions for misbehaving in public school is a joke... that's what they WANT!
-The vast majority of public school students are NOT really prepared for college.

When I transfered to public school for my senior year, it was a joke. They were teaching seniors things that I had learned in my Freshman year.

I did go to a public University (Go Ohio State!!) for a while and thank my lucky stars that I got the preparation that I got while at the private school.

Edited to add: the quality of education was better, but I SO could have done without the in-your-face preaching style that we were forced to put up with on a daily basis:rolleyes: :D

Christiansmommy
03-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Private school here...and loved it. It was a Christian School. I am very thankful for my parents putting the money out to send me there. If i ever had to leave there, I would have wanted homeschooling...not a fan of the public schools...

carole
03-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Private schooling is only for the rich in NZ, but they do offer scholarships that the not so well off can apply for , I was tempted, but felt it would have been hard to keep up with, it did not pay for everything.

Private schooling in NZ offers a very good standard of education for sure and the opportunitys they have are way beyond what public can provide or offer, I mean every kid has a laptop.

However having said all that my own Doctor who could well afford private schooling chose to send his children to my daughter's intermediate, that say's alot for the school she attends, and it is public, so if you are lucky enough public schooling here is not that bad really.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Miranda (miranda_rae) is home schooled....where is she?! :(

She doesn't have the internet anymore, that's what sje told me anyway...

joanofark
03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm Home Schooled!!:D And I LOVE IT!

I went to Public school all the way to 4th grade then I was home schooled all the way to... NOW!

It was a Nice, Small Elemetary School. I think there was a total of 150 Kids and like 20 kids in each class. That was Kindergarten-5th.

I like Homeschooling a lot more!:)

People always say kids who are home schooled don't have any Friends or Activities! But there is like over 100 kids around where I live that is homeschooled and over half of them are my age! We play softball when it warms up and I also take Taekwondo every Monday and thursday night! I have more friends here then I did in Public school!

My mom and dad says the like it better too because the ALWAYS know what I'm doing and I'm learning all they want me to learn.:)

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh gosh, Miranda and Sarah are both home schooled??!! That's so cool!!! I should get to know you Sarah...we're so close, (both in KY!) and it seems like we have a lot in common, lol! That's great!;) Maybe I'll PM you later...;)

Josh4Colts
03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
PUBLIC SCHOOL ROCKS!

cookieluver7
03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I go to public school and I loooooooove it!! :D

me me
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
home schooled

Kater
03-02-2005, 10:52 PM
I went to a very small private school from kindergarten through sixth grade. Then I attended a very large private school from seventh grade through high school. Most recently I have attended two different public universities. I don't know whether I will attend a public or private veterinary school. In all honesty, I'll be happy to get in to any veterinary school!
If I have kids and if our family lives in Hawaii I think I will send my kids to a private school. Hawaii has a rather poor public school system. :(

sirrahbed
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
My youngest two kids went to private school for several years and while it was an adjustment from public schools - they seemed much happier there and I know they learned much more. It was a Christian school and while I know some of the religion classes were too preachy - the way the kids interacted was very good to see. I think this experience is what finally helped my middle son define his calling to be a pastor.

Hubby has taught at both Christian and Public school - I know he much prefers the private. Public students have much less respect, little discipline and he says that many of the better students actually feel afraid of the environment there. It does not seem safe to them:( It probably isn't in many cases.

Private school, however, is *extremely* expensive!! It cost us more than college for the kids!! When hubby taught there - we got a good discount - but it was still a struggle to keep up with the tuition:eek: Many of the kids there were from very wealthy families.

There were downsides though - less sports and specialty classes like drama, languages, arts and vo-tech. Still, I wish they *all* could have had their educations in private school.

My oldest son now works (research engineer) at a very expensive private university. He, and his family can go for free! I sure hope Misha decides to attend:) He is working on a masters and doctorate - all free.

As for my granddaughter - Misha will be home-schooled.

Miranda_Rae
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I am homeschooled and I like it very much because I don't have to put up with the crap that my friends tell me about that goes on in the public schools, although sometimes I wish I could go to public school....and sometimes not. :p

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
I am homeschooled and I like it very much because I don't have to put up with the crap that my friends tell me about that goes on in the public schools, although sometimes I wish I could go to public school....and sometimes not. :p

I think being home schooled is awesome too!!!!:D Public school just doesn't sound that great...:P even though I know it's easier.:)