PDA

View Full Version : What was the worst and best job you have ever had in your life.....

carole
02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
My worst by far was when I was a solo parent, working at the Camping ground around the corner from where I live, working in cold weather , in a cold environment, cleaning yucky Toilets,showers, and rooms, and having to take my son with me when he was sick, and he had to stay out in the cold, those were the day's I never wish to repeat.. but hey it helped pay the bills for a while.

My other worst job was working as a clerk for the Inland Revenue, boring job and boring people, no fun or spirit.

My best job was working as a waitress at the Brian Boru Hotel, the job was not great, but the boss and his kids were like family, infact the whole place was one big happy family, we had so much fun there, I used to live in the Hotel as well, now today this hotel has mystery murder weekends and claims to have a ghost, cannot say I ever saw it or heard it.

My other best jobs were working for Defence Headquarters as a civilian for the Air Force and Navy, fun , fun , and more fun, especially in the Air force, we had glide time, in other words you chose your hours within a certain period as to when you finished and started, I usually chose a late start and late finish, because most people had gone and it was easy to slack around. lol.

now post yours and tell us why it was bad or good.

cocker_luva
02-28-2005, 04:12 PM
worst job: cashier at Amstadts Finer Foods grocery store.
best job: assistant/receptionist at Woof Wash grooming shop

GraciesMommy
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Best job is the job I have now altho the pay stinks..but I am the Registrar at a Junior High, the perks is being off summers and all holidays and Spring Break (which is next week!!)

Worst job..and only lasted 2 months..I worked in one of those mobile wagons where you go from place to place *construction sites...and cooked/made sandwiches/breakfasts..HOT HOT HOT and had to get there at 4 am to be ready for breakfast at 5 am and then cook lunch at 11..but got off work at 1 pm..I was 22 at the time..talk about a nasty job..you are so greasy all the time..no A/C..and of course all the "wolves" at the sites since I was the ONLY female..

catnapper
02-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Worst job: The last one I left. I was harrassed on a daily basis about my weight, my makeup, my hair, my clothes... you name it they harassed me about it.

Best job: Picture framer. I left that job because I wanted to become an interior designer. It was a fun job, I was very active lifting and moving, etc. It was creative and rewarding. How I regret leaving there. I still love the boss and we see each other often.

RICHARD
02-28-2005, 06:00 PM
I got a part time job at a publishing house....I wanted to get some experience doing magazine layout.

I was put into a back room and asked to pick out family pictures that would go into a church directory. The pictures were taken in the studio, processed and it was up to me to pick the best ones.

The families were large and about 70% had or adopted special needs children.

As the photographer staged the pictures, one of the familiy members would reach over and hold the child's head to face towards the camera, He would snap a pic then tell the person to move their hands so their hand wouldn't show up in the shot.

The poor kid's head would wander all over the place-on the proof photos you'd see everyone looking AT the camera and that one person, usually sitting at the end, staring off in another direction.

If I was lucky, out of 10 shots, I'd get one worth printing.

To this day I wonder how many people got their directories, found their pictures and wondered why there wasn't a BETTER picture in there!

:(

KYS
02-28-2005, 06:12 PM
worst job: Working for the Superior Court.
Best Job: Working for a Hospital Pharmacy.

prechrswife
02-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Worst Job: Working retail at K-Mart one summer.

Best Job: Teaching preschool in a public school

AbbyMom
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, I've had some really bad jobs. But the one that comes to mind is "label inspector" at the ketchup bottling plant. This was a summer job while I was in college.

I watched ketchup bottles come off the labeling machine at 100 bottles/minute. If they were not on straight, why, I would pull them off the line before they were packed.

Duh!

Can you imagine doing that 7-1/2 hours a day for less than minimum wage? Since I didn't work full time, they didn't have to pay full wage.

Best job? Working for a public television station.

tikeyas_mom
02-28-2005, 08:26 PM
little caesars pizza place...

binka_nugget
02-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Worst: Line person at the Pacific National Exhibition.

Despite my name tag, no body (not even my boss) knew my name.. only a couple of the newbies did. Training was aweful, so I couldn't do my job without screwing up every 5 minutes. I rarely got more than 4 hours of sleep because of the hours. A NASTTTTTY, older, stinky, disgusting co-worker was determined to get me to go out with him (YUCK!). I hated every moment of it.

Best: My current job at a movie theatre.

All the managers are really nice and there's lots of room to grow within the company. My co-workers are fantastic. I'm never bored at work. They're great about rewarding good behavior, which just encourages everyone even more.

anna_66
02-28-2005, 09:01 PM
worst job:I worked at a Arbys fast food restraurant. It was horrible and so were all the people I worked with.

best job:Honestly I have to say the one I have now (server at Red Lobster). There are days of course when I can't stand it, but where else can you pretty much pick the hours you want and get great pay to boot:)

MariaM
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
My worst job was working five hours in the sweltering heat, raking leaves and cutting branches and only getting 5 bucks for it.

My best was dog walking. :)

slleipnir
02-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Strawberry picking!! - worst. Does that count as a job? I HAAAAAAAAAAted it.
best - probably where I am now. I work at a bar for a hotel I've been around my whole live -_- I know like everyone there, and my mom is the manager of the bar lol -_- and my brother in-law is the hotel manager o__O' I have a lot of fun

Suki Wingy
02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Desperatley searching for a job... Never had one.:( I'll have towait, but less than a year!

Oggyflute
02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
My worst job: As a security consultant when I left the Air Force. I was selling people security systems that they probably really didn't need. I lasted a week, then my integrity kicked in, and I told them to shove it. :D

My best job: At 33 squadron in the R.A.A.F. We flew on Boeing 707's. Did a lot of different jobs, from medi-vacs, troop transport, VIP flights (the Prime Minister etc) and even a few SAS jobs that were quite interesting, but I can't talk about. :D I was a steward, and handled all the in-flight catering. (Which was where I mainly got my catering training Pamela.) Try cooking 30 beef wellingtons on a VIP flight in a galley the size of asmall linen cupboard. :D Saw the world though so that was pretty cool.

NoahsMommy
03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Worst: Working at the vet clinic! People were way psycho, especially the vets!!! The office manager was a sociopath, I swear!!! It was like working in the twilight zone, where everything that was good, was really bad. Strange place!!

Best: Where I'm at now. An office manager working for a Clinical Psychologist dealing with Autism. I love it...its such a great place and everyone is so nice. :)

wolf_Q
03-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Well I've only had 3 jobs...:o

Worst: I worked at an inventory place...I only went like 2-3 times lol so I doesn't really count. We went to shopko and had to do inventory, counting all the racks and trying to figure out if it was your machine beeping or somebody elses. I quit because I didn't like it but also I got pancreatitis right after I started and had to go to the hospital so I didn't want to mess with it. Anything counting/math related doesn't work for me.

2nd worst: I worked as a cashier at a gas station for about 6 months. I didn't hate it, but I didn't enjoy it either. It was rather dull. It also sucked because there wasn't a scanner or anything so you just had to memorize the price of everything in the store pretty much.

Best: Working as a groomer at Petco. I've been there for about 2 1/2 years now. It has good days and bad days and sometimes I want to strangle customers but overall I enjoy it. I like working with the animals (when they're not trying to bite me :o ) and getting to see all sorts of different dog breeds. It's nice that I can take my dog to work sometimes too. :)

I really want to start my own grooming or pet related business, I think that is a job I would be very happy at. :)

vinjashira
03-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
little caesars pizza place...

is that your worst AND best? :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Worst: summer job at a summer camp. I had to clean the toilets, sweep the bedroomfloors,nwash tons of dishes.... . YUCH!!

Best: all my teaching jobs. The very best was when I had a group of first graders.

CalliesMom
03-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Worst job: I worked a summer job at the Meat Science lab as an undergraduate. I got to make dog treats; sounds great but I always ended up smelling like dead animals.

Best job: the one I have now..though I'm still a student I get a stipend and get to work in the lab all day. I've never enjoyed myself more!

Rachel
03-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Worst job: Working in a canning factory standing next to a conveyor belt where the peas (in cold water) went by. Our job was to pick out the foreign matter, i.e. anything that the machines picked up in the fields in the course of harvesting the peas (which included pieces of chopped up mice). It was wet and cold and made even worse by having to work next to my mother.
I don't think the *canning season* lasted that long, but it was HORRIBLE.

Best job: The one I have now, being self-employed doing all the office work for a remodeling contractor. I have an office in my home and my client places a lot of trust in me as I have signature authority on all his accounts. There is enough variety to keep me from getting bored and I can more or less schedule what tasks I want to do when (with the exeption of answering the phone which I have to do when it rings.:p ) This job suits my personality to a T.

RICHARD
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Try cooking 30 beef wellingtons on a VIP flight in a galley the size of asmall linen cupboard. :D

If you tuck one between your legs and two under the armpits
you could have finished faster...:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :D

Originally posted by CalliesMom
Worst job: I worked a summer job at the Meat Science lab as an undergraduate. I got to make dog treats; sounds great but I always ended up smelling like dead animals.

LOLOLOL,
That reminds me of the old joke....

I was so ugly my mom hung a piece of meat around my neck so the dog would play with me!
:eek: :rolleyes:

Desert Arabian
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
BEST JOB: (Well, it's a volunteer job- if that counts) Working at Camp Anokijig all summer and on the weekends in spring and fall. I work with their herd of 53 horses, doing all sorts of jobs ranging from teaching kids how to ride to doctoring sick, injured horses. Best job in the world, I don't want to get paid for it, best times of my life...

WORST JOB: Haven't had one yet, thank goodness. The paying job I have now is so-so, I have a lot of fun when my co-workers Nate and Jeff are there, otherwise it can be very boring and overwhelming- I don't HATE it though.

lizbud
03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Worst job was working behind the candy counter at a local 10 cents store when I was in high school. I gained 5 lbs.:D

Best job was as an order expeditor for General Electric. The local
office supplied electrical equipment for contractors. I had very little
direct supervision & and the work was fast paced, but a lot of fun. :)

moosmom
03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I've had alot of pretty bad jobs. I think the WORST was working at Core Electric. I think I was hired just so I could get out their freaking Christmas cards! I was actually SO greatful when they fired me!!! I walked out and never looked back.

The BEST job I ever had is the one I'm at now, Michigan Memorial Funeral Home. The people are great to work with and they reward their employees for a great job. Can't wait to go full time the end of this month. Good things come to those who wait!!

Orca
03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I've only had two jobs, so I guess one is best and one is worst:)

Worst: I did secretary stuff at my aunt's office where my mom also worked, along with many members of that side of my family. I loved working with them, they are a riot. But the jobs, for me, were boring and repetitive. I was there for 4 or 5 years.

Best: I LOVE my job now - I look forward to working, and will visit on my days off. I work at a small, privately owned pet store. I've been there almost a year and a half. And its more than just getting to know the regular dogs that come in, conversing with people who love pets as much as I do, and playing with the new 8 week old puppies that come in. I get along with all my co-workers, but I've become best friends with four of them (and they are all older than me). They are my support group, I trust them with anything, and I thank God everyday for them.

ramanth
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Worst job: Counting bottles. MI has a 10 cent refund on pop and beer bottles. Before those nifty automated machines, we had to count them by hand.

The summer was the worst. People would leave their bottles in garbage bags outside and bring them in. The smell!! :eek: :mad:

Not to mention the added bonuses in some of the bags..... insects, dirty diapers, syringes, dead animals, and used condoms are among the list.

*shudders*

I didn't mind cashiering or bagging groceries, but employees would literally vanish when a bottle counter was needed. :rolleyes:

Best job: The one I have now. Working at a Law School Library as a Web Tech. :D My co-workers are great and I love the atmosphere.

CalliesMom
03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
LOLOLOL,
That reminds me of the old joke....

I was so ugly my mom hung a piece of meat around my neck so the dog would play with me!
:eek: :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I just thought of that joke today actually. They have a "your mama" jokes contest and that is one of the only ones I can come up with. LOL