PDA

View Full Version : Stairs for elderly pets.

TheAntiPam
07-20-2001, 08:11 PM
I just got a set of steps/stairs covered with carpet to help my older cat. My bed is very high off the floor and he has been struggling more and more with jumping up to visit me. So, I found these steps on an auction site, and they work very well.

These are two steps high, which makes it good for getting up on almost any human furniture. They come in a variety of carpet colors and seem quite sturdy and big enough for pets larger than cats. I'm not sure about really big dogs, but medium dogs would probably be fine.

Of course, the first time my cat saw the steps, he jumped over them to get on the bed. But he figured them out after that! :rolleyes:

Although it takes up some room for these steps, it is worth it to help my older pet be safe and not get injured while jumping.

Pam and Murf (who says he isn't napping, he's preparing his plan for world domination)

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: TheAntiPam ]

*SimButtTwo4U*
07-20-2001, 08:22 PM
I saw pet stairs in an issue of DogFancy.

AvaJoy
07-20-2001, 09:20 PM
I have been thinking about getting pet stairs to assist my senior cat Lily in getting up on and down off the bed. I have been using two huge floor pillows that she always jumps down on to ease the stress on her joints. Glad to hear the stairs work well and your cat has readily adapted to using them; they certainly are a much safer access aid than my pillows, and since Lily isn't getting any younger I will have to see if PetSmart has them next time I visit.

4 feline house
07-20-2001, 09:43 PM
What a sweet idea. It reminds me of the little wheelchairs for the paralyzed dachsunds.

Logan
07-20-2001, 10:21 PM
I have heard of ramps for dogs with hip dysplasia and other problems to aid them getting in a car, or getting in the bed. I end up hoisting my 96 pound Golden Retriever into the car, and we don't even attempt my bed, which is pretty high. Just never thought about a cat needing them, but what a spendid idea! And how thoughtful too. :)

Karen
07-20-2001, 10:59 PM
My family always had big dogs, so stairs for the bed wasn't an issue. We children did notice however, that when we were all grown and moved away, my parents suddenly carpeted the stairs leading to the second floor, where the bedrooms are. Why? Because Gracie, the Great Dane, was getting old, and had started slipping on the plain wooden stairs!