PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lee :-(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Terry's dad lost his battle with Alzheimer's yesterday. :-(

Just about exactly two years ago he wandered away from home, slipped, fell and hit his head and was laying unconscious in the snow for who knows how long before Terry's step mom realized he was gone and called out the search party. Ever since then he has been in a nursing home, slowly deteriorating. We usually visit every Thanksgiving and a year ago (Thanksgiving 2003) he was still aware enough that I believe he recognized Terry. He was awake and watching TV and "trying" to carry on a conversation. Since then he has gone downhill fast. This last year we didn't make the trip at Thanksgiving because Tubby got sick. I knew we should go because I knew Terry's dad was getting bad, but Terry insisted we stay home and tend to Tubby.

He had gotten to the point where basically all he did was sleep. Terry's stepmom and the rest of the family out there visited on a regular basis, and they had been there yesterday afternoon and everything was normal....until they got the call about 5:00 pm that he had passed away in his sleep.

I am so sad, but I know he wouldn't have wanted to live the way he was - if he knew - and I know he is in a much better place now.

I only knew him a few years before the Alzheimer's really started kicking in, but I knew him as a funny, joyful man. He loved his wife and family so much, and he knew he had grandchildren before it got too bad. The last few years have really been a strain on the family, but he will be missed terribly.

RIP Lee. :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Sending my condolences to you, Terry and the family :(

(((HUGS)))

Julie

catnapper
02-28-2005, 09:54 AM
I feel for Terry's family. Its a sad time, where you know he's no longer hurting and you feel guilty for the slightest bit of relief over that. {{{HUGS}}} and prayers for you and Terry.

Barbara
02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I send my heartfelt condolences to Terry, you and his family.

I hope it is a little comforting to know that he passed away calmly in his sleep.

gini
02-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Debbie, I am so sorry for you and Terry in your loss.

I just can't help but feel that to pass away in your sleep is such a gift and I am happy that Terry's Dad was given that gift.

Cataholic
02-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Debbie,
How sad for you and Terry. I am sorry to hear this. I remember last Thanksgiving you talking about Lee. May you both find comfort in knowing Lee is in a better place, with fully restored faculty, and who knows, maybe looking up Tubby.

Hugs at this very sad time.
Johanna

Cinder & Smoke
02-28-2005, 10:37 AM
:(

Dear Terry and Debbie ~

Take some comfort knowing that there was a lil, black, furry,
GranCat named Tubby waiting for GranPaw Lee at the Bridge.

Loosing a Parent is difficult, but he IS in a Better Place now.
Enjoy his Memories.

{{{Hugs}}}

/s/ :( Phred

Logan
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm so sorry, Debbie. Please express my sympathy to Terry. :( I do believe that Gini is right, though, passing in your sleep has to be the best way to leave this earth, and imagine the wonderful greeting he received in heaven!

I hope that you can smile through your tears, knowing that Tubby and so many others, "skin" and furry, are there to greet Lee in heaven. :)

Logan

Edwina's Secretary
02-28-2005, 11:01 AM
My condolences Debbie and Terry and Godspeed to Lee....

Killearn Kitties
02-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Terry's Dad. It's a horrible illness, and any illness that is long and drawn out puts a terrible strain on everyone.

Best wishes to you both, and all the family.

slick
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Debbie, I was just about to leave for work when something told me to check Pet Talk one more time. Now I know why.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Terry and Terry's family. I have had experience with this dreadful disease. I was with someone for for 13 yrs and I watched his Grandmother go from a vibrant, funny loving family member to a vegetable. It's so heartbreaking for the family to see a loved one deteriorate like that. It is comforting to know that he passed in his sleep.

RIP Lee and may you enjoy your newly-found eternal life.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you and Terry
slick xoxoxoxo

Jadapit
02-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm so sorry for you loss. That's a terrible disease for everyone involved. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

tatsxxx11
02-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm so very sorry for you great loss, Debbie and Terry:( It sounds like he was a very special man. Alzheimer's is such a dreadful disease and for sure Lee is now in a far, far better place, free of the physical suffering and mental torment. I hope you can find a small bit of comfort in the knowledge that he passsed peacefully in his sleep. I'll be received a most glorious reception in Heaven:) My heartfelt sympathies to the entire family. Love, Sandra

caseysmom
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Send my condolences to Terry, alzheimers is a very sad disease, I lost my father 8 years ago to alzheimers...he didn't know who I was for 6 years, it was very sad.

RICHARD
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Sending prayers and good thoughts out your way.

Yes, AZ is a terrible disease.

Godspeed, Lee.

NoahsMommy
02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
:( I'm so sorry for this loss.

Please know that we're praying for your family.

Hugs,
Kelly

Poo
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Nicki x

ramanth
02-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Debbie, I am so sorry for yours and Terry's loss. :(

RIP Lee. :(

moosmom
02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Debbie,

I'm so sorry to hear about Terry's dad. My heartfelt condolences go out to you, Terry and his family.

RIP Lee :(

jazzcat
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm so sorry. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

chelsea
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
My condolences.

Karen
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
The loved ones of Alzheimer's patients
Mourn many deaths, many small, heart-shaking griefs.

When first the diagnosis comes,
We hear that dreaded word, we mourn
The loss of hope for recovery
Knowing what has been lost is now forever gone
We mourn, we grieve, we think “I'm coping."

Next grief that strikes us unexpectedly
Is when they no longer know us as ourselves
They try out names - of a long-past brother, sister, even parent
And we cry inside - our own selves are gone from them forever
And though we know it shouldn't hurt
It is another little death, and
We mourn, we grieve, we think “I can handle this."

We mourn anew as the disease progresses
As bit by precious bit we lose a once-vibrant person
The spark slips further away
And soon we are strangers
No one at all,
And we mourn, we miss them
Though they are right there in front of us.
We mourn conversation, laughter, smiles
We remember, but they do not
We mourn, we cry, we think “I'm okay, I can do this."

And when we thought our mourning was done,
Exhausted
Past
We hear "hospice" or a "matter of months-weeks-days"
And grief breaks afresh
We mourn, we cry, we wait for the end, heart-sick, numb.

So we think, anyway.

And then the phone call comes
And it's over
And all the previous mourning is for naught
Because saying good-bye, even to a shell
It was still someone our hearts know
And grief and relief come in alternate waves
Crashing together, breaking over us
It's over
My God,
It's over.

And at last the mourning
That we thought we had done
Begins for the last time

And we know the grief, at last
Is the last
And a new angel smiles down to comfort us
As we cry.

Terry, remember, love lives on. Our prayers are with you.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Aw, Debbie, I'm so sorry for your loss.
I lost my Dad to Alzheimer's in 1999. That is such a horrible disease. It takes your loved ones away many times before the final good bye.

I know Terry's dad (and mine) are well again and entirely free and happy. It's the final good bye that's the hardest.

I'm sure Tubby smothered him with kitty kisses and will introduce him to everyone at the bridge.

anna_66
02-28-2005, 01:48 PM
How terribly sad this is:(

Debbie please let Terry know that both Mark and I are very sorry for his loss.

It sounds like he had a wonderful man who had a great life.

RIP Lee

davidpizzica
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Debbie, my deepest sympathy to you, Terry, and to Terry's family at this time of loss. It will be 8 years tomorrow that I lost my mom to altzheimers, so I know what your family is going through. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. {{{{HUG}}}}

Jayna78
02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I'm thinking about you and Terry and your family. I know how hard Alzheimer's can be - my grandpa is on meds now, but for a while there, he was pretty much just deteriorating from what we thought was Alzheimer's or dementia - the meds seem to keep him under control, but he's pretty quiet and likes to stay at home now.

Again, we're thinking about you. Just know that Lee is in a much more peaceful place now.

K9soul
02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
My condolences to you and your family Debbie. Lee must be joyful and full of peace to be free of such a devastating disease, but I know all his family misses him very much. May the memories of him be those of when he was whole and healthy in mind and body.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Thank you all so much, and especially Karen for the beautiful poem - which unfortunately is so true. From it I gather that you have dealt with this in your family also. :(

Tomorrow we're headed out there and will be there the rest of the week so I will have limited to no access to PT.

Thank you. :(

petslover
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I am really sorry, Debbie, to hear about your family loss. He is in a better place now and just remember he no longer suffers from Alzheimer's. God Bless you and your family.

RobiLee
02-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Debbie, you and Terry are in my thoughts. My heartfelt condolences to the family.

Rest In Peace, Lee.

prechrswife
02-28-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss.:(

Tina
02-28-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

Laura's Babies
03-01-2005, 12:00 AM
I am so sorry to hear this sad news. Prayers are sent for Terry and his family. RIP Lee.

shais_mom
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
I am so sorry Debbie and Terry.
Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

popcornbird
03-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear of your family's great loss. :( Hugs to you. May you find comfort in the memories of Terry's father.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2005, 02:55 AM
So sorry about this loss... !

tomkatzid
03-01-2005, 03:44 AM
I am very sorry, unfortunately katz and I both know how hard times like this can be, our thoughts are with you and terry.......tom

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2005, 09:18 AM
How terrible!! I am so sorry!

You guys are in my prayers..:( :(

ChrisH
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
My condolences Terry and Debbie. You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris

Randi
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Dear Debbie, I sent you a mail, but will also reply here.

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Terry's dad, I know how hard it is to loose a loved one. I hope it will be a comfort that he is not suffering anymore. Keep the good memories. My thoughts are with you and the whole family.

Hugs!!

kimlovescats
03-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Hugs to you and Terry. So sad to have to watch a loved one go in this way. :( May Lee rest now in Heavenly peace.

Kim

trayi52
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
So sorry for your loss, it always so hard to loose a parent. My prayers are with you and Terry at this time of great sorrow.

Willie

LoudLou
03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Terry & Debbie,

Sorry for the loss of your dad. Words seem so inadequate for such a time of sorrow. Today would have been my dad's 62nd birthday. He died six years ago in January, it took me awhile but now the pain is somewhat dull and I have some great and fantastic memories and stories about him.

Hugs & Prayers to you all,
Katie

slick
03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Debbie, are you back yet? Please check in when you can.
{{{hugs}}}
slick. max and speckles
xo xo xo

krazyaboutkatz
03-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about Terry's dad's passing.:( My condolences are going out to both you and Terry. May he RIP. {{{HUGS}}}

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much everyone.

The church service was beautiful, the military burial was impressive and the whole thing was all very nice. It was great to see the family again, event though it was under such sad circumstances. Everyone was very sad, but everyone held up well. I think that knowing that he would not have wanted to live that way and knowing he is in a better place now really consoled the entire family. The grandchildren are now Terry's stepmom's life. She adores them and they adore her. There are 4, ranging in age from 4 to 18 months, so they are definitely enough to keep her busy and - whew! Boy am I glad to get home to a relatively quiet house! ;)

Since he got the military burial, his stepmom was presented with the flag that draped the casket. She wanted Terry to have it. He protested a little, but I think he's happy to have it. She also gave him the "sailor hat" that Lee wore when he was in the Navy during WWII. Right now we have these displayed in the china cabinet in the dining room and this furniture was Lee's mother's (Terry's Grandmother's) furniture, so it seems quite appropriate.

Thank you all again. It was a sad week.

Killearn Kitties
03-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm glad the funeral went so well, Debbie. It is a comfort in itself to know that Terry's Dad's suffering is over, but a nice service with all the family there can really make you feel better.

Vermontcat
03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I meant to reply to this thread earlier.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Hugs to you and Terry and hug Peanut and Cracker Jack too while you're at it.;)
It's good to see you back here, you have a lot of catching up to do.:)