PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded letter came...

catnapper
02-27-2005, 08:23 PM
The one where I am now officially summoned to serve JURY DUTY! ACCCCCKKKKKKK! :eek: :eek:

With my luck, I'll be serving on some long boring case. :rolleyes: Or I'll be the lone stand-out person who thinks someone is guilty while everyone else thinks they're innocent. Oh well, I think I'd get paid $5 for the day! :D

Kristl
02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
OH, crappy! BTW: how do you get selected for jury duty? Do they just draw your name out of a hat? I've never been called, and I'm 23, so I was just wondering what the chances I'll be drawn are!

cookieluver7
02-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Shoot! My parents, aunts, uncles, they have all went and sorry to say didn't like it. :rolleyes: Who could. Just keep thinking about $5 that you are making. Sure it's not much, but you will be 5 dollars richer. :p

catnapper
02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
As far as I know, Jury duty is essentially a lottery type thing - your name and info is in the big computer at the courthouse and at some point the computer selects you. I last served Jury Duty a good 7 or 8 years ago. Haven't gotten a summons since. I went, spent many long boring hours on uncomfortable folding chairs waiting to be called into the court room. The call never came so we were sent home at 3:30. BORING!

If I did get chosen as a Juror, I'll take my job seriously, but I'll be upset I got chosen! I love to watch court cases on TV as presented in Law & Order... NOT the real version! :D

joycenalex
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
i'm hoping that i get the summons for jury duty some time. i can't serve in the military (too old) , but i can serve by doing this. maybe someday huh? congrats catnapper

jazzcat
02-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Kristl
OH, crappy! BTW: how do you get selected for jury duty? Do they just draw your name out of a hat? I've never been called, and I'm 23, so I was just wondering what the chances I'll be drawn are!

I've been called twice and served on a jury once. They told us that they get your name from driver's license, voter registration, and owning property in my county.

Hope it's nothing too long for you Kim. Is it criminal or civil court? I've been called once for each and served on a civil case where someone was suing a major company for asbestos poisoning. He didn't win, he wasn't even sick but was afraid he would be after working in it. His lawyers seemed like big ambulance chasers. It took a whole week to complete. On the crimal case it was mass murder at a fast food restaurant in Nashville and they had to come here to Knoxville to find jurors. I was excused because I had letters from my mom's doctors saying I could not be sequestered 150 miles a way for up to a month since I took care of her. Thank goodness. Oh yeah, I got paid $11 a day back in 1995.

catnapper
02-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Its for BOTH Civil and Criminal cases. I'm also #130 on the list... which means my chances of actually going in is high. Last time I was in the 200s.

sammy101
02-27-2005, 09:09 PM
atleast you get payed:eek: :DHope you enjoy it:)

Karen
02-27-2005, 09:12 PM
I have been called for jury duty 4 or 5 times, I lose track. I am always excited to go, and be a participant in Justice. I have never yet been on a jury. I actually got to sit in the jury chair once for about 30 seconds. They threw me off right after they threw off the guy in the leather jacket and chains. I don't know why they dumped him, but the case was very similar to the only thing a family member has ever been involved in (someone I love was the victim of armed robbery). I was so dissapointed.

Someday, I will be a juror. I will!

Sitting waiting to (not) be called as a juror, I have met interesting people - my first time, I met an old woman (my guess, 80-something) who had lived in Boston her whole life, gave me restaurant recommendations, and was a very pleasant person.

Another time I met a blind woman and her guide dog. After we conversed for a while, she took off his harness, so he'd know he wasn't working (so I could pet him), and he promptly came over to where I was sitting on the floor, and sat in my lap. I told his owner with amusement that my navy-blue skirt was now liberally sprinkled with blond Lab-hairs, and she smiled. He was her second guide dog - when she had a black Lab, her wardrobe consisted mostly of grey and black clothes, now that she had a yellow Lab, she said her wardrobe was mostly khaki and cream-colored clothes! :)

Someday I'll be a juror!

Cookiebaker
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm very jealous. I would love to serve on a jury, but have never been called. I have always been interested in the justice system, and love following different trials in the news. I also enjoy several movies that based around trials (12 Angry Men).

Don't look at it as if it was a negative thing, but as a positive that you could actually make a difference in someone's life. ;)

Twisterdog
02-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I'd also like to be on jury duty. I'm 36, have been a registered voter since I was 18, and have never been called. I think it would be a fascinating thing to do once. I look at it as one of the great privledges and responsibilities of living in this country ... that we are afforded a trial by a jury of our peers.

sirrahbed
02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I got MY letter last week too Kim. It is for the late in March and is for "petit" jury (as opposed to a Grand jury) at the county court. I was called once before - municipal court - and sat all morning waiting to begin and they finally got the young guy to plead. It would have been a hoot I think - because the magistrate came in and explained the case that that young man was fighting all morning. He was stopped for speeding and then got an additional open alcohol charge. His defense?? He saw a police car and it scared him so he accidentally sped up. Then he got even MORE nervous, so he opened a beer and drank it:rolleyes: THAT one I wish I could have heard.

I do hope I get to sit in on a jury this time:)

Cataholic
02-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Our system absolutely would not work without the sacrifice of people like YOU to serve. I would love to be on a jury..sadly, it won't happen. Apparently, I would make the worst kind of juror...one that thinks she knows the law. He he he.

For us here, jury selection is from voter registration....so, if you aren't a registered voter, you can't sit...

GraciesMommy
02-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Well not me! I have been summoned twice since living in Texas and gotten out of it both times by filling out their questionaire and when it asks what type books/magazines do you read I put NATIONAL ENQUIRER and TRUE CRIME Religiously!!....that is enough to knock you out..if you go here..its WAY downtown in Houston..which I hate to drive..traffic is horrid...2 tolls..then there is parking...you pay...and you walk....and its all day...and $5 just doesn't quite cover it..
Now when I was in ARkansas...sure thing...glad to go...but never got picked...or if it was Pasadena...I would go in a heartbeat...just back streets to get there...but to be picked to go to Houston for an all stressed out pulling your hair traffic kinda day...NOPE...

Vette
02-28-2005, 06:34 AM
$5.00.. you send that 'big wad of money' they give you right in your gas tank just getting there and going back home. :p

my mom had to do that once. but it got cancled for some reason. either the case was moved to another state or something stupid.. but whatever it was,, my mom was glad about it. :)

dukedogsmom
02-28-2005, 07:00 AM
I've only been asked once, thank goodness. I was ruled out early on, too. It was a DUI case. I sat in for a little but would have fallen asleep if I had stayed listening to that attorney ramble on and on...........

stacwase
02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I've never been picked. Whenever they send those little questionaire things, I put in the comments section "I want to be on the jury and see justice served, for once." Or - something similar.

Now I know to also claim I read the Enquirer. Great idea!

Edwina's Secretary
02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
I have served on jury duty, and I too, consider it an honor of living in our society.

Unfortunately it is also a pain.... and many people try to get out of it. I refer to a jury as..."twelve people who couldn't get out of it...."

I would hope...should I ever be on trial.... to have a qualified jury deciding my fate.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Justin and my mom just got that dreaded letter too. I don't remember when either of their dates are though. I will never have to go because I suffer from sever anxiety, and I'm medically excused for life.

jenfer
02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I was on the jury duty twice and got picked once. Not that fun, IMO. haha.

Corinna
02-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I served on a jury almost. we spent 4 days of selection. and the last alternate blabed that he know the guy had been found guilty before.So we all we excused and they started over. I'm glad as a freind ended up on it and it was avery horriable murder case. Half the jury upchucked at the crime sceine photos.
I fell its our respoceablity for having the rights we do in this country. I'm just a fladg waver sorry.
Hubby was called for grand jury duty but case was settled before being heard.

ramanth
02-28-2005, 01:57 PM
I got a jury duty summons last year, but instead of going to the court house, I had to call a number every morning to see if I was needed. And for the whole week, I wasn't!

Since I work at a Law School, I get paid leave for doing jury duty, plus a little extra. :D

So I was a bit bummed that they didn't need me. :rolleyes: :p

caseysmom
02-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I have been in 3 times and picked and on a jury once...it dragged on for 2 weeks, it was pretty cut and dry the guy was guilty of breaking into a shed at a school..the sad part was the guy was dirt poor and trying to put food on the family table...it was obvious he was guilty though....it still really bothered me.

carole
02-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I have been called up for Jury service many times, however due to medical reasons I am unable to serve, I would love to really, and the pay is way better here, about 30 dollars a day and expenses.

My son on the other hand has served on a Rape case, where the guy was found guilty, I think he found it quite interesting , except when they repeat the same stuff all over again and again.

RedHedd
02-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I've been called three times to do my civic duty as a citizen of the U.S. I consider it an honor, but since I work in the legal profession in civil litigation, they usually don't want me because I know too much or know too many of the judges and attorneys. I did serve the first time on a small three-day muni (bus) case. When they wanted to put me on another jury after that, my boss talked to the judge and got me back in the office.

Here in San Francisco the "pay" is ridiculous. $1.50 a day didn't even cover my round-trip bus fare!

Laura's Babies
02-28-2005, 11:52 PM
I was summons twice, one for a murder case where a young guy had stabbed a old lady to death and I really didn't want to have to sit in on that, knowing I would have to see and hear things that would make me sick.... then have to judge someones innocence or guilt..... Anyone that would harm a old lady is low life scum in my book anyway.

Second case were parents of a girl that had been killed by a drunk driver and they were sueing the driver and the bar tender who served him. They didn't pick me because I was the only one in the jury pool that had buried a child and knew what it is like to bury one and would have had more symapthy for the family of the girl than the drunk driver and bar tender.