PDA

View Full Version : My dog's pen.

Moose212
02-27-2005, 08:42 AM
I have 2 dogs, both female. One is a Setter/sheppard mix, and the other is a Rotwieler mix. Both are awesome dogs and my wife and I love them very much. We're having a baby soon and the dogs are going to have to spend a little extra time in their pen outside for the first couple years of our daughter's life. Can someone recommend a good bedding for me to use in thier pen? It's an extremely large pen with a tree for shade and a house for each dog. They destroy the grass I put in there for them each year and when it rains it turns into a mud pit. One dog loves the mud while the other is afraid to walk in it. It is really quite comical to watch but we feel bad for her. Any help is appreciated.:)

stacwase
02-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Moose212
We're having a baby soon and the dogs are going to have to spend a little extra time in their pen outside for the first couple years of our daughter's life. Can someone recommend a good bedding for me to use in thier pen?

How much time are they going to be spending out there? I hope they will be able to spend a lot of time indoors, still.

I did see a magazine which had flooring made especially for dog pens - it looked like hard rubber, with holes in it for "stuff" to go through. You build frame decking and the flooring sits a foot or so off the ground. Of course it has to be cleaned regularly.

There's always sand or pea gravel.

But - if your dogs are going to be spending a significant amount of time outdoors, maybe the best thing to do would be to fence in a larger area. If it's large enough (like the whole backyard) then they won't destroy the grass.

Moose212
02-27-2005, 09:05 AM
They will still spend plenty of time indoors. We just want them to be as comfortable as possible while outside. Pea gravel is a great idea, thanks!

LKPike
02-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I think completely fencing a yard is good for every dog :) especially big doggies.

but just because your having kids, doesnt mean your dogs have to be banned to kennels. you can train them to stay out of the way, out of certain rooms and away from your baby.